•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

York County Star Party

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gwfbmd

gwfbmd

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:26 AM

The York County Star Party exceeded my expectations – by about 1,000%! I don’t normally post online, but I let Phil know I would be speaking out about this. More astronomers need to know about this event. It is located conveniently close to home for many in the Baltimore-DC-Philly megaplex and it’s a “Winner.” I hope to see more of you there next year.

Click here to view the article
  • FXM and 17thCentury like this

#2 peleuba

peleuba

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:43 AM

Glen - Thanks for taking the time to write this up.  I wanted to attend this year, but it coincided with taking my oldest son to college.

The YCSP is the latest incarnation of what was once the Mason Dixon Star Party.  Phil DeRosa has worked tirelessly for a lot of years perfecting this.  I am glad that the new location was so well received.  Its too bad that the former location at Shreveport airport could not continue to be used.  I have always thought that rural grass air fields and state parks make the best location for star parties.  This being a state park looks to be very nice for the long term home of the star party.

I also agree that having a food vendor makes for a terrific experience.  

My only recommendation would be to move the party to the October new moon.  Its cooler, darker and dryer.  I cannot stress this enough.  And, there are very few other starparties that would compete with it.

And, yes, the O-III filter makes the Swan, the Dumbell, the Helix and the Veil really pop.  I just returned from an 8 day trip to Cherry Springs for the Black Forest Star Party and had a lifetime best view of the Dumbbell Nebula using a Lumicon OIII and a 20mm Type 5 Nagler eyepiece.   

• FXM and Defenderslideguitar like this

#3 MikeTahtib

MikeTahtib

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 October 2019 - 04:51 PM

I love the turquoise 300Z.  I've never seen one that color.  

Filters make a huge difference on nebulae.  I prefer an UHC, since it doesn't choke off the stars so much, although an OIII will show the nebula off better.  One of these is a definite must-have for the eyepiece case.

#4 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:25 PM

Glen - thanks for the writing and awesome pictures. I have been to a number of YC star parties in the past, but this year I decided to try AHSP for the first time and the date was too close to the YCSP - for me any ways. At AHSP, I set up next to Bill the “Telrad” guy, who had gone to YCSP. He also gave it 2 thumbs up.

You’re right about the proximity factor for those of us in DC/Baltimore/Philadelphia area and next year I plan on attending based on that and the reports of a very good viewing location!

Thanks again 

Roger

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics