•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tip for new Stellarium users on mobile devices

beginner charts observing planetarium software star party
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DesertScribe

DesertScribe

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:45 PM

Just a tip for new Stellarium users. It occurred to me that my phone, on which I use the Stellarium app in red mode, has a maximum time of 30 minutes of inactivity before going to sleep. After that, I have to go through the swipe screen (some folks have a password) to open it again, which disrupts my night vision and might be disruptive to others at a star party. I use the settings in my phone (at least while I'm observing) to deactivate the lock mechanism completely. Now, if my phone goes to sleep, or if I shut it off, when I turn it on, there is no jarring interruption to red mode by having to go through the regular home screen. Of course, if you can set your device to never go to sleep, you don't need to do that, but my phone (Samsung Galaxy J3 Prime) doesn't have that option. I tried to do the same for my Kindle, which I use as a tablet and on which I also have Stellarium (preferred because of the larger screen size). However, I believe one needs an app to deactivate the screen lock, so I haven't tried it. 

• jeremiah2229 likes this

#2 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 28 September 2019 - 05:59 AM

Now if you can just figure out a way to combat all that white light bleed your phone and tablet still emit in "red" mode..... lol.gif lol.gif

#3 Myk Rian

Myk Rian

Viking 1

• Loc: Hartland, Michigan

Posted 29 September 2019 - 09:07 AM

Put the display in one of the amoled screen modes.

Myk
  • DesertScribe likes this

#4 DesertScribe

DesertScribe

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2019 - 12:02 PM

Now if you can just figure out a way to combat all that white light bleed your phone and tablet still emit in "red" mode..... lol.gif lol.gif

True, but not all red LED flashlights are giving you pure red light either. There can be color shifts (mostly into the green spectrum) with a lower quality semiconductor (doping), poor emitter geometry, and temperature fluctuations. 

I'd rather have the ease of Stellarium at present and put up with some light bleed, which can be further attenuated with a screen shader app. It allows me to spend more time observing and less time navigating, which is what I'm after in the long run. Just my personal preference, of course. 

#5 DesertScribe

DesertScribe

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2019 - 12:06 PM

Put the display in one of the amoled screen modes.

Myk

Yes, that works on phones that have that technology, though not all do. 

#6 Richie2shoes

Richie2shoes

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 29 September 2019 - 12:14 PM

I use this to cover my smart phone screen:  https://www.siriusas...ght-shield.html

I use the x-tra dark when I'm at alone at a dark sky site and the regular at star parties or when I'm observing at home.  The problem I noticed with using the "night" setting is that an incoming text, or using the search will cause the screen to flash white.  This blocks that.  I also used the left over material to cover the led light on the back of the phone.

• DesertScribe likes this

#7 DesertScribe

DesertScribe

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2019 - 09:02 PM

I use this to cover my smart phone screen:  https://www.siriusas...ght-shield.html

I use the x-tra dark when I'm at alone at a dark sky site and the regular at star parties or when I'm observing at home.  The problem I noticed with using the "night" setting is that an incoming text, or using the search will cause the screen to flash white.  This blocks that.  I also used the left over material to cover the led light on the back of the phone.

I will have to check that out--thank you! 

I admit I'm not particularly knowledgeable about smart phone extras, as I don't rely on mine nearly as much as my laptop, and I lived outside the US for many years until recently with a very basic phone setup. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, charts, observing, planetarium software, star party

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics