•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

14.7" f/3 Dob/RFT

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
513 replies to this topic

#451 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The flatlands of Northwest Ohio 41.11N --Bloomdale

Posted 07 September 2020 - 02:27 PM

Even if you don't go the complicated route, folding legs with a wide splay angle are very stable and can offer a minimal riser with the legs in.  That above one has three furniture feet it sits on when the legs are in.  Steve, the prez of my astronomy club made an almost identical one since that has short straight legs that don't quite meet in the middle when folded. 

#452 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 07 September 2020 - 02:53 PM

Finally put some threaded inserts and captive knobs for the UTA connectors.

IMG_6732.jpeg

Even if you don't go the complicated route, folding legs with a wide splay angle are very stable and can offer a minimal riser with the legs in.  That above one has three furniture feet it sits on when the legs are in.  Steve, the prez of my astronomy club made an almost identical one since that has short straight legs that don't quite meet in the middle when folded. 

Looks a bit complicated to me, but perhaps.

#453 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Viking 1

• Loc: Jackson Heights, NY ... for now

Posted 07 September 2020 - 03:39 PM

What kind of heat wrap you used to wrap truss poles? Really like that pattern. 

#454 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 September 2020 - 10:23 AM

The captive knob upgrade makes SUCH a difference! No more struggling to get wingnuts tight enough or worrying about losing anything.

What kind of heat wrap you used to wrap truss poles? Really like that pattern. 

Fake CF vinyl wrap, I think it's sold by Neewer on Amazon. 

#455 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 September 2020 - 10:45 AM

Captive hardware on these knock down dobs makes a huge difference. A similar application in which the knob must remain in the portion with the clearance hole rather than with the threaded hole can be found here in a post six years old. That thread may be an interesting read for those of you who have missed it, IMNSHO.

#456 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Viking 1

Posted 08 September 2020 - 10:47 AM

The captive knob upgrade makes SUCH a difference! No more struggling to get wingnuts tight enough or worrying about losing anything.

Fake CF vinyl wrap, I think it's sold by Neewer on Amazon. 

sleeves or roll and cut to size?

#457 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 September 2020 - 10:59 AM

sleeves or roll and cut to size?

Roll. I have a friend who has used it on whole OTAs, it's cool stuff. It's made to cover car interior bits

#458 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 September 2020 - 11:05 AM

Thought: If I put this on an EQ platform, how long of an exposure could I get with my DSLR before I got trailing? The Moonlite could definitely handle the weight....

#459 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 September 2020 - 11:27 AM

Thought: If I put this on an EQ platform, how long of an exposure could I get with my DSLR before I got trailing? The Moonlite could definitely handle the weight....

Even if your platform has poor tracking for speed or alignment, stacking with exposures only five seconds can create great images.  Remember, even if your tracking is 90% or so,  your images will move only above one- tenth as fast in the field of view as compared to untracked. 

Stacking can correct errors in rotation too. With today's free stacking software, equatorial platforms and tracking mounts previously considered only good enough for visual can create dynamite photos with five to ten second subs. 

Those pesky satellites can be automatically edited out too. Poor frames don't have to be weeded out manually anymore. 

#460 coinboy1

coinboy1

Apollo

• Loc: Tulsa, OK

Posted 08 September 2020 - 02:46 PM

Hey Zane, I had a Tom O Dual axis platform capable of auto guiding and it can do long exposures relatively easy. I did 20-30sec exposures on my platform without guiding and got good results that way too. Careful, imaging can be as addictive as building scopes and more of a money pit!!

#461 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 September 2020 - 02:53 PM

Hey Zane, I had a Tom O Dual axis platform capable of auto guiding and it can do long exposures relatively easy. I did 20-30sec exposures on my platform without guiding and got good results that way too. Careful, imaging can be as addictive as building scopes and more of a money pit!!

I've imaged before and would never want to invest again in a dedicated setup (don't see a point anyways tbh), but I'm considering a platform anyways and I do have a DSLR, and it would be kind of cool just to take shots through this for the hell of it.

#462 coinboy1

coinboy1

Apollo

• Loc: Tulsa, OK

Posted 08 September 2020 - 03:07 PM

I love visual but the colors and details from astroimaging are cool especially to show others. Its all good either way! Good luck and anything is possible in this hobby. Heck there are some imagers doing 1sec exposures with CMOS cameras because of the low read noise using an eq platform for high resolution deep sky imaging with amazing results!

Edited by coinboy1, 08 September 2020 - 03:08 PM.

#463 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 September 2020 - 09:10 PM

Tried both my new APM 110-degrees (4.7mm and 3.5mm) out with the scope tonight. The 3.5mm has a little bit of annoying glare but so did my 3.5 Delos honestly, and I have a polarizing filter on the way. Both eyepieces are splendid! Jupiter, GRS and Io transit looked tack sharp. M13's Propeller looked wide enough to drive a truck through. Planetary nebulae look splendid with all sorts of fine details. 

mkxivsmall.jpg

Still debating stands... or do I just go buy an EQ platform? Decisions, decisions.

#464 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 08 September 2020 - 09:20 PM

You are a very intelligent young man, Augustus! I am a lot like you (Autistic) and I know you could excel at building your own EQ Platform. You did so well with your 14.7" telescope.

#465 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Voyager 1

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 09 September 2020 - 10:45 AM

You are a very intelligent young man, Augustus! I am a lot like you (Autistic) and I know you could excel at building your own EQ Platform. You did so well with your 14.7" telescope.

I don't think anyone here has shown signs of autism. He just likes building scopes.

Edited by stargazer193857, 09 September 2020 - 10:46 AM.

#466 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• topic starter

Posted 09 September 2020 - 10:53 AM

I don't think anyone here has shown signs of autism. He just likes building scopes.

I have it, it’s not a disability

#467 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• topic starter

Posted 09 September 2020 - 11:01 AM

I think I’ve settled on an EQ platform to raise the scope up. Wonder if it’s possible to have one made on a CNC....

#468 tommm

tommm

Viking 1

Posted 09 September 2020 - 11:02 AM

I've imaged before and would never want to invest again in a dedicated setup (don't see a point anyways tbh), but I'm considering a platform anyways and I do have a DSLR, and it would be kind of cool just to take shots through this for the hell of it.

I had a friend who did AP. Used a 12.5" Newt on equatorial mount in a dome. Spent lots of money on it. When he proudly showed some of his photos to his wife she said "Why don't you just go on the internet and look at photos there?  They're much better.

#469 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Viking 1

Posted 09 September 2020 - 11:10 AM

funnypost.gif

#470 dustyc

dustyc

Viking 1

• Loc: Phoenix,AZ

Posted 09 September 2020 - 02:27 PM

I had a friend who did AP. Used a 12.5" Newt on equatorial mount in a dome. Spent lots of money on it. When he proudly showed some of his photos to his wife she said "Why don't you just go on the internet and look at photos there?  They're much better.

And then your friend replied, " honey, you knit scarves, but why don't you just buy them at the store? They're much better."

(He does a lot more observing, now that he's locked out of the house.) 

#471 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Voyager 1

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 09 September 2020 - 02:35 PM

And then your friend replied, " honey, you knit scarves, but why don't you just buy them at the store? They're much better."
(He does a lot more observing, now that he's locked out of the house.)

Yep. Same for singing songs or playing music. Just listen to it on YouTube for free. Much better quality.

#472 mark cowan

mark cowan

Vendor (Veritas Optics)

• Vendors
  • Loc: salem, OR

Posted 09 September 2020 - 03:27 PM

Tried both my new APM 110-degrees (4.7mm and 3.5mm) out with the scope tonight. The 3.5mm has a little bit of annoying glare but so did my 3.5 Delos honestly, and I have a polarizing filter on the way. Both eyepieces are splendid! Jupiter, GRS and Io transit looked tack sharp. M13's Propeller looked wide enough to drive a truck through. Planetary nebulae look splendid with all sorts of fine details.

Shame the mirror's performing so poorly. :rofl:

#473 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• topic starter

Posted 09 September 2020 - 03:41 PM

Shame the mirror's performing so poorly. rofl2.gif

LOL, these views would not be possible without the excellent Nova mirror! Thanks to the Moonlite I'm finally able to achieve and hold steady collimation, and do proper star tests. I oddly am getting some astig when I'm within a couple degrees of the zenith, but that's probably a cell issue and I honestly don't care too much since the zenith is so annoying to reach and track at anyways. I might see if I can add extra support points and turn it into an 18-point cell but that is less important than redesigning the mount.

I forgot to mention it, but when installing the Moonlite I found that my secondary had actually been rotated slightly off-kilter this whole time (hard to explain - it looked fine with the laser), which was probably causing stig too. 

#474 mark cowan

mark cowan

Vendor (Veritas Optics)

• Vendors
  • Loc: salem, OR

Posted 09 September 2020 - 09:38 PM

It's Murphy laws happily at work. :tongue:

#475 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• topic starter

Posted 10 September 2020 - 11:54 AM

I just ordered an Ed Jones equatorial platform. I considered making my own, but considering my lack of experience with electronics and the overall price of materials I realized I would probably be saving maybe a hundred bucks or so in exchange for a boatload of frustrations plus quite a decent time expenditure that I'd rather spend on other parts of this scope and the 24". Ed offered me the option of finishing it myself in exchange for a slight cost reduction as well. Plus thanks to the APM HDCs' performance I'm not getting a 4.7mm Ethos like I was originally planning on doing so there's a bit of extra room in the budget. 

Now that that's taken care of, I'm figuring out the new rocker box. The current one was thrown together in about an hour, and has zero weight optimizations whatsoever. Off the top of my head, the improvements I can think of are reduced side and bottom thickness - either 1/2" or 5/8" instead of the current 3/4". The rocker sides will also be shorter. I'm wondering if I'd be able to put cutouts in the azimuth board and rocker sides without sacrificing stability as well....

Edited by Augustus, 10 September 2020 - 09:56 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics