•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

14.7" f/3 Dob/RFT

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
513 replies to this topic

#501 N3p

N3p

Apollo

Posted 02 October 2020 - 06:01 PM

Your telescope is amazing Augustus, super portable too, I mean wow!

Good job.

#502 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 02 October 2020 - 09:05 PM

I took the scope out tonight with a timer and looked at the Moon and Mars. Setup time with collimation is about 4 minutes, full cooldown to ambient took about 10 minutes (could speed this up if I ever figure out how to wire the fan), disassembly took around 2 minutes. Syrtis and Hellas looked pretty nice and I could of course fit both the Moon and Mars in the field at the same time with the 21mm Ethos, albeit barely.

IMG_6981s.jpg

Oddly enough I don't even notice the reduced height of the new base that much. 

Your telescope is amazing Augustus, super portable too, I mean wow!

Good job.

Thank you!

#503 Sergey Stern

Sergey Stern

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 October 2020 - 03:51 AM

Augustus, you made a great telescope! Congratulation!

Sergey

#504 jvrsluys

jvrsluys

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Oudenaarde - Belgium

Posted 03 October 2020 - 06:53 AM

Waow, Augustus,

That's a great scope! I wished I had the same talents and skills when I had your age!
Nice colour scheme also.
Keep up the good work!

#505 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Vanguard

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 03 October 2020 - 05:09 PM

I took the scope out tonight with a timer and looked at the Moon and Mars. Setup time with collimation is about 4 minutes, full cooldown to ambient took about 10 minutes (could speed this up if I ever figure out how to wire the fan), disassembly took around 2 minutes. Syrtis and Hellas looked pretty nice and I could of course fit both the Moon and Mars in the field at the same time with the 21mm Ethos, albeit barely.

attachicon.gifIMG_6981s.jpg

Oddly enough I don't even notice the reduced height of the new base that much. 

Thank you!

Very nice !  Looks like a joy to use, you can sit in a chair at zenith ? !!!  Nice,

What fan do you have ? If a typical computer fan, its just 12Vdc, + on the Red wire, - on the Black, ignore other wires if present. 12V Fan will run on 7 to 12V,  you can add a speed control pot in series on one of the leads, about 500 ohms/ 2 watts will work. Allows running fan a low speed for less vibration while observing.

There are other speed control options like a LM 7808 regulator ckt or a PWM controller too avail very cheeep on ebay for a tiny one, but the pot is the simplest

CS

Bob  

#506 coinboy1

coinboy1

Apollo

• Loc: Tulsa, OK

Posted 03 October 2020 - 05:35 PM

Great job Zane!!! I love how you made improvements over time and now you have a very nice finished telescope!

#507 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• topic starter

Posted 04 October 2020 - 01:29 PM

Thank you, guys. I still had one final improvement to make that I finished today: an equatorial platform from Ed Jones. I bought it as just bare plywood and painted it myself, plus I modified it to replace the ground board entirely. Also had to add a bubble level.

markxvcompletes.jpg

The whole thing is just 51 pounds with the platform. Your average C14 OTA weighs 52 pounds before anything is added onto it......

#508 BradFran

BradFran

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Villingen-Schwenningen, Germany

Posted 04 October 2020 - 05:00 PM

Sweet! waytogo.gif

#509 a__l

a__l

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 04 October 2020 - 08:40 PM

The platform changes the angle of loading the mirror onto the supports. The higher the axis, the more. If not foreseen initially, it will lead to additional astigmatism ... Very thin mirror ... additional problems ...

To avoid this, I recommend ServoCat.

Edited by a__l, 04 October 2020 - 08:44 PM.

#510 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• topic starter

Posted 04 October 2020 - 09:08 PM

Tried out the EQ platform. Works great, though it was hard to level it accurately in my sloped driveway. Polar alignment using my phone as a compass was a breeze.

Sweet! waytogo.gif

Thank you! 

#511 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:01 PM

Just a friendly reminder that because Cloudy Nights is an international community, many of it's non-English speaking members have to rely on translation apps in making their posts, making such sometimes seem a little to direct or on the harsh side of things. Because of that sometimes things are read into the posts causing misunderstandings and possible bad feelings. The CN terms of service are in place to help deal with such things by reminding us to:

Play Nice

Be Polite

Be Honest

Be Tolerant

Respect other members

Please keep these things in mind and if you have doubt or questions about a post, please pm the member directly or click on the "Notify Moderator" button located at the bottom of every post.

Thank you for your cooperation!

The ATM moderating team

#512 mic1970

mic1970

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: St. Louis Metro Area

Posted 07 October 2020 - 11:47 AM

I wish I had them at 50.  Great job.

Waow, Augustus,

That's a great scope! I wished I had the same talents and skills when I had your age!
Nice colour scheme also.
Keep up the good work!

#513 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• topic starter

Posted 07 October 2020 - 09:23 PM

Tried the EQ platform out again tonight on some actually flat ground and got MUCH better tracking. It is a really weird feeling to not have to nudge the scope along. Also still working on the ideal transportation configuration for the scope and better cable management, and I added more flocking to the UTA and light shield.

I wish I had them at 50.  Great job.

Thank you! It's never too late to learn. The only person in my family who has ever been experienced with any sort of woodworking or tools was my maternal grandfather and he died when I was 11 so I never got to learn from him. I picked up all of this knowledge and skill in just 3 years.

Edited by Augustus, 07 October 2020 - 09:24 PM.

#514 Sean Cunneen

Sean Cunneen

Let Me Think

• Moderators
  • Loc: Flossmoor Il.

Posted 08 October 2020 - 12:10 AM

Since the scope is finished and sorted, we are locking this thread. It's always a nice day in ATM when a scope project gets to graduate! I suggest moving to the reflector forum for further posting/discussion.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics