•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Crazy idea - would it work?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:41 PM

What IF, I wore a pair of these while looking through a binocular? Would it act as a barlow and magnify the image?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...itemZ8948655915

I know it sounds crazy, but stranger things have happened.

MikeG

#2 XT10Guy

XT10Guy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:44 PM

Your eyes would explode.

#3 Bob W6PU

Bob W6PU

Vanguard

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:57 PM

At that low price, it couldn't hurt to try it Mike! :lol:

Bob in NM

#4 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:02 PM

I'm sure there is a simple (or complex) optical explanation as to why this would not work. But, if the glasses merely magnify and have a close "focus", then I don't see why they wouldn't at least provide a bigger image. Granted, the resulting larger image might be completely unsuable...

Has anyone ever held a magnifying glass in front of an eyepiece and looked through it?

MikeG

#5 ChrisR

ChrisR

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:34 PM

I know Zeiss used to make a 3x lens that could be used either independently at 3x, or with the Zeiss Classic series, (multiplying whatever the power of the binocular was by 3). I do not know if the setup you suggest would or wouldn't work, but I wonder if it would be dependent on how close the bino glasses close focus is.

Peace,
Chris

#6 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 21 June 2006 - 02:29 AM

Hi Mike,

I think your question has been answered. However, I'll offer my observations, if I may.

It is true that the image plane must come into focus on your retina. The optics that you use MUST be able to afford this. That would include the "glasses."

This could present a problem. True focus might occur for you at, say, about 15" to 20" from the binocular's oculars!

Also, considering the cost, you may see about 20% to 35% of the FOV of the binocular, if lucky.

I tried one of a similar device about 10 or 12 years ago. As I recall, I threw them in the can even before I returned home. I was visiting my parents on vacation in West Virginia.

I would suggest/advise not to spend your money. But, if you are into experimenting, then fine. Just my thoughts.

Best regards,
Dave.

#7 Swedpat

Swedpat

Apollo

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:01 AM

Even if it works, I think it can be difficult to hold steady enough. I highly doubt about using any multiplier with binocular for FREE HAND use. But I have actually thought about the idea of making a magnifying glasses of two Zeiss 3x monocular, which I have tried. It provides a razorsharp image with a wide TFOV. It,s usable for free hand use also, the 3x power means very stable image...

Patric

#8 Henry Link

Henry Link

Messenger

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:17 AM

I have lots of experience boosting the magnification of binoculars. A magnifying glass or loupe (essentially an eyepiece) won't work. What's needed is a complete telescope placed behind the eyepiece of the binocular. Focus is done with the front binocular and is not a problem. I've used finder scopes, and one barrel of other binoculars to do this. Rifle scopes or monoculars could be used, really any small telescope will do. The zeiss 3x booster has the same optics as their 3x monocular. I've also tried a pair of 2.3x opera glasses placed behind the eyepieces of a binocular to maintain binocular vision while boosting the magnification. That actually worked . Collimation was still acceptable, but the field was vignetted down to a tiny 20 degree AFOV with that particular combination. Patric, a pair of Zeiss opera glasses (two roof prism monoculars) might do pretty well.

#9 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:44 AM

Another option would be

http://www.eagleopti...urch=1&pid=4485

good ones get very pricy

http://www.eagleopti...purch=1&pid=889

but there is a whole range of hand held monoculars that could work

http://www.eagleopti...&type=6&purch=1

And here's the Zeiss 3x magnifiers, very expensive for two would add $640 to mutiply any Zeiss binocular 3x.

http://www.adorama.c...pes&Startat=141

I've mounted an 8x binocular behind another binocular to increase image scale, just as Henry has done. Could not do it hand held. The previous discussions of supplemental magnification reside in the links to the threads on USAF Chart Resolution Testing. I tried holding a 6x30 finder scope behind a binocular but couldn't hold it steady enough to see clearly. Even behind an 8x binocular, that 6x30 finder is giving 48x.

edz

edz

#10 dgs©

dgs©

Hubble

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:47 AM

What about regular magnifying eyeglasses like you can buy at places like WalMart? I have a pair of 2x. I added a B&L 7x (I think it's 7x) magnifier that clips on the lens frame. The small (maybe ¾"Ø) magnifying lens is on a little arm that can swing up out of the way.
Anyway, might those glasses, without the B&L booster, work behind the binoculars? :thinking:
I may have to give it a try, just for grins. :grin:

#11 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:37 AM

I wear reading glasses, which are magnifiers of a sort. They are high quality because I get them through my health (eye) insurance. I had figured that they would improve binocular viewing (given my short focus deficiencies), but they had no effect at all when I experimented. I mentioned this here a long time ago and had the matter explained to me why reading glasses would have no affect.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics