•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkyShed Pod, SkyShed Pod Max, NexDome...

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: USA

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:36 AM

Is there any wall height difference (48.25") between SkyShed Pod and NexDome?

Attached Thumbnails

• SkyShedSpecs.jpg

Edited by mmalik, 08 October 2019 - 05:37 AM.

#27 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 08 October 2019 - 04:54 PM

Considering cold weather, what's the insulation difference between insulated walls SkyPod and NexDome? I know when dome is open during use, it really doesn't matter much in terms of insulation. In short, my question is more about in-use insulation, although you can also comment on close dome insulation efficiency differences between the two. Regards

The insulation option for the POD pieces is for the heat not the cold. The insulation prevents IR radiation from excessively heating up the interior on sunny days. It works quite well but is only available as an option on the pieces that are built as a sandwich (two walls), so it's not an option on the bays.

I went with a slightly darker color (grey vs. white) for the dome on my POD. This has made a really marked difference in the amount of heat build up in the summer ... but it sure is nice to feel some warmth in my POD on those chilly winter days.

• Raginar likes this

#28 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:43 PM

Can someone post a link to rollers that can be used in following two scenarios:

1. Roll off the roof of a shed; rollers that slide the roof off

2. Roll off the entire shed; rollers that could go at the bottom of the walls

Regards

You use garage door track and rollers. It’s easiest to buy from a garage door installer. For my 10x10 it was about 250 bucks if I remember correctly.
  • mmalik likes this

#29 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:43 PM

Can someone post a link to rollers that can be used in following two scenarios:

1. Roll off the roof of a shed; rollers that slide the roof off

2. Roll off the entire shed; rollers that could go at the bottom of the walls

Regards

You use garage door track and rollers. It’s easiest to buy from a garage door installer. For my 10x10 it was about 250 bucks if I remember correctly.

#30 Ed Wiley

Ed Wiley

Vanguard

• Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:49 PM

I had a pod and three bays and found (1) you need the zenith platform to reach the zenith and (2) it was very confining for my setup. I also found that (1) it was easy to put together and (2) it is, in fact, very weather-proof. The zenith roof slides off only one way, so it is important to place it correctly. It is fairly easy to handle (I was in my 60s when I had it). 

If I had a smaller setup I would have found the pod very satisfactory, so no criticism of the pod intended, it all depends on what you put into it. I ended up with a roll-off.

Ed

• Raginar and mmalik like this

#31 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

Posted 12 October 2019 - 10:39 AM

I like the overall setup now. A couple of questions ...

- could the bay overhang the edge a little bit? In terms of supporting the bay you can get away with a only having support under 3/4 of the bay.

- Is there any need for the space to the right (SE) of the POD? Could you work with the same amount of space as at the top edge of the platform? I'm also assuming that you want to put the door on the bottom edge (SW)?

If you took the space away from the right and nudged the POD to the left you could get away with an 8' wide (x 11 long) deck which would reduce the cost of the wood for the deck. (8' decking laid cross ways instead of cutting 12' stuff)

I like the pier position. I would however not be married to the very center positioning of the pier in the deck. Give yourself a little lee way in the exact position of the POD over the pier and perhaps in the position of the deck with respect to the pier so you can fine tune the pier/mount position in the POD.

Most people who image build a PZT.  It's a table to slide the dome off so you don't get into trouble with your view while you're imaging since a pod can't be motorized (trust me, I looked into it) easily.

Honestly, just get the skyshed plans and build a small one.  It's a lot easier than you think; it has a parts list and you can walk into Lowes/Menards and hand them the list.  Took me about a week of afternoons.  Hardest part is the foundation; but even that wasn't terrible.  It's just a lot of gravel.  

#32 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2019 - 04:03 AM

While ice buildup on the PZT related solutions can be an issue, I am wondering if NEX has any 'ice' related issues in terms of freely opening the top (slit) in severe winter conditions? If any NEX owners could chime in, that will be greatly appreciated. Regards

#33 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:11 PM

As long as it drains correctly I don’t see why you would. I ran ‘roof heaters’ along my track in South Dakota. They’re to prevent ice damming and they worked really well. I’d turn them on during the day and I never had my roof have issues.

#34 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:35 AM

Not familiar with roof heaters; can you post some pics and provide some links/vendor information? Regards

#35 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:03 PM

https://www.homedepo...-RC60/100187093

I ran them down one side of my tail and up the other. They don’t get super warm but it was enough to make sure any water on the rails melted and drained away.

I had them plugged into my switchable power supply that was computer controlled. I had it set to come on at 8am and go off at dark.

#36 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:13 AM

I saw pics where the guy used a heating kit normally used to keep pipes from freezing on parts of his observatory. I believe there was some issue with adhering the heating strips to some parts of the inside of the observatory but overall he was happy. The pipe heating kits have a material that's thin and easy to wrap around the pipes, so it can be easily adapted for other uses.

#37 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2020 - 09:55 PM

I am getting a Mach2, so plans got put on hold last year. I am still torn between SkyShed POD and Nex Dome? What's the latest on these two? Which one would you rather have and why? Look forward to your feedback. Regards

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics