•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Software to organize FITS images - is any need?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Anton.V

Anton.V

Vendor - Phototheca

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2019 - 01:15 PM

Hi, community

My name is Anton. I'm a software developer. I have the pet project I work for years - photo organizing software for Windows. Before yesterday I knew nothing about astrophotography. By accident, I saw a forum thread at Affinity Photo website, where astrophotographers asked to add support for FITS format to Affinity Photo editor software(I have no relation to Affinity company). The software I make has weak editing photo capabilities, but quite powerful features to organize massive amounts of photos, in opposite to Affinity that can edit but not organize images.

Then I thought - what if astrophotographers want to organize their FITS images as well? The program I made offers features to organize images in folders and albums, tag with keywords, add descriptions, and do an instant search; it works quite fast and offers a free plan as well. But it does not support FITS format yet, obviously. Now I'm thinking to add support for FITS format to the software and offer it in a free plan also.

As this is a significant undertaking to add support for FITS, I decided to ask a community before starting to implement this feature.

So, basically, I have two questions I would like to ask astrophotographers community:

1. What software or approach do you use to organize and tag FITS images?
  2. Would you be interested in having Windows desktop software to catalogize and organize FITS images?

Every answer is very appreciated, as well as other thoughts on the topic smile.gif

PS: the software itself is called Phototheca(https://lunarship.com)

• ericsolo likes this

#2 rathijit

rathijit

Mariner 2

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 01 October 2019 - 02:05 AM

I would love to have such an organization software! Currently I organize all my files very methodically into folders like this:

> Target Name

> Lights

> Ha

> OIII

> SII

> Flats

> Ha

> OIII

> SII

> DarkFlats

> Ha

> OIII

> SII

> Integration & Processing

I tried a program that does what you are attempting to do, but the implementation was just terrible, so I would love to see someone else try the same. The software I am talking about is called Observatory: https://www.cloudyni...ware-for-macos/

#3 han.k

han.k

ASTAP Software

• Vendors
  • Loc: the Netherlands

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:39 PM

There are some practical problems like that thumbnails views don't work very well for most (deepsky) astronomical images. Unless you have an image of a big galaxy, cluster or cloud, most tiny objects like stars or galaxies tend to disappear in reduced thumbnail resolution.

Secondly the archives are often building blocks or the final image. Like in the posting above for one object you could have for one object 50 images in Luminance, 50 images Ha, 30 images in OIII to be stacked. You could organize it in a tree based on keywords from the header, but not with a graphical representation.

So thumbnails should be very large and viewer should be able to read and present FITS header keywords like object, exposure, camera, filter, telescope, celestial position, date & time of observation. The keywords should be linked to the folders containing the files.

Han

#4 Joe Eiers

Joe Eiers

Viking 1

• Loc: Arcata, Ca.

Posted 04 October 2019 - 01:20 PM

I think this is BADLY needed in astrophotography!  There is a huge void of being able to tag and view fits images in any easy way.  Lots of software allows opening and viewing one at a time...  A few do thumbnails, but not with any real organizational ability at all.  I've talked to many developers of image editing programs over the YEARS and they are stunned that that nothing has been released! 

I am a professional football photographer and use a program called Breezebrowser Pro. 

https://www.breezesy...ze-browser-pro/

It does an excellent job and what we're talking about here and many of my colleagues use it as well.  To have something like it for astronomy would be AMAZING.

I REALLY hope you can get something going.  I think it will fill a gap that no one else has.

Good luck!

Joe 

#5 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Apollo

• Loc: Houston

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:33 PM

There is a program on the Mac that does this already. It might be worth looking at for some ideas. I find it quite useful.

https://codeobsession.com/

#6 rathijit

rathijit

Mariner 2

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:40 PM

There is a program on the Mac that does this already. It might be worth looking at for some ideas. I find it quite useful.

https://codeobsession.com/

Yup, mentioned this above, but I personally don't like the implementation much.

I tried a program that does what you are attempting to do, but the implementation was just terrible, so I would love to see someone else try the same. The software I am talking about is called Observatory: https://www.cloudyni...ware-for-macos/

#7 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:48 PM

Would love something to easily organize and search photos. Still working on getting a good system down for easy searching. About as organized as a kitchen junk drawer but getting there.

#8 maxmir

maxmir

Ranger 4

• ***--

Posted 23 May 2020 - 04:42 AM

I need something to help organize FITs file for Windows. I hate trying to match archived  calibration files with lights.

Anyone make something for this?

Max

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics