•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cosmic Challenge: The Deer Lick Group

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 01 October 2019 - 05:41 AM

The autumn sky abounds with little bundles of galaxies scattered throughout its stars. One of the best known is the group of 7 galaxies that surround the magnificent spiral NGC 7331 in Pegasus, the Flying Horse. An observer could easily spend an hour or more just soaking in all that this small patch of sky has to offer.

Click here to view the article
  • j.gardavsky likes this

#2 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 02 October 2019 - 12:51 AM

The NGC 7331 group is certainly a good target but unfortunately it has the DSO nickname that I find the silliest, even more so than some of the doozies in Hidden Treasures, since it was named after an observing site in North Carolina.

http://www.skiesbyaf...es/NGC7331.html

https://www.google.c...2!4d-82.1212281

• PhilH, okiestarman56 and Augustus like this

#3 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 02 October 2019 - 02:24 AM

Agreed, Dave.  But I don't name 'em, I just write about 'em. :lol:

• Dave Mitsky, okiestarman56 and Augustus like this

#4 Arcticpaddler

Arcticpaddler

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Minnesota, USA

Posted 02 October 2019 - 01:24 PM

The Deer Lick Group, along with nearby Stephan's Quintet, are objects that I go back to again and again--and spend a lot of time at the eyepiece each time.  From my experience, you should save these objects for the darkest, most transparent nights, and use the highest magnification that conditions allow. 

A complicating factor with the "fleas" is the wide range of magnitudes listed for these objects in various sources.

I have seen 3 of the "fleas" with my 8-inch SCT at 182x--and suspected the fourth (NGC 7336)--but of course will wander back there on the next excellent night... 

• PhilH, okiestarman56 and Augustus like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics