•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Repair Mark Vs or ...?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 TG

TG

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 01 October 2019 - 06:45 PM

As I had always feared, the screw on the bayonet mount was not tightened enough and my babied Mark V's crashed onto asphalt. The damage is mechanical with dents and heavy miscollimation but the optics look intact. I contacted AP and they were good enough to contact Baader on my behalf but the cost is heavy: $735 + both ways shipping which I expect will bring it north of $900. Since Denis says he doesn't accept repair orders any more because of customs issues and given that Mark Vs sell for $1200-$1400 used, I'm finding it hard to justify sending them to Baader, and that too for an unspecified amount of time. My backup plan is to spend around $500 and get the Maxbright 2. But that will leave me with the conundrum of what to do with the damaged BV.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Tanveer.

#2 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 01 October 2019 - 06:55 PM

Think of it this way Tanveer, at the moment you have a "Paperweight" in the shape of a binoviewer.......... For $900 you can have an "as new" pair of one of the finest binoviewers made.....

If you were to buy secondhand you may end up with a pair that still needs collimation....

#3 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 01 October 2019 - 07:03 PM

Even repaired, it would be difficult to sell it for much more than the repair cost.

My advice???   Try to work a deal with Dennis using the MK 5 as a trade-in against one of his Zeiss units. Even if he can only give you a hundred bucks for it, you are probably ahead of the game. 

Edited by Eddgie, 01 October 2019 - 07:03 PM.

• Scott in NC likes this

#4 mdowns

mdowns

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Englewood,FL

Posted 01 October 2019 - 08:07 PM

Have you tried contacting Harry Seibert? He does a number of repairs.Might be worth a call.

• TG and Jeff B like this

#5 Jeff B

Jeff B

Cosmos

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:56 AM

Have you tried contacting Harry Seibert? He does a number of repairs.Might be worth a call.

Yes, worth a shot.  waytogo.gif

• TG likes this

#6 TG

TG

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 02 October 2019 - 02:03 PM

I'll try Harry Siebert -- he's fixed a pair of binos for me before but that was one of his own manufacture. But since I agree with Matt about the damaged BV's being a paperweight, I'm not averse to trying myself to fix them. How much more worse can I make them?

Tanveer.

#7 rob.0919

rob.0919

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Derby , UK

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:28 PM

$735 + 2x shipping.....?

Thats crazy. There has to be a viable alternative ?

#8 vkhastro1

vkhastro1

Apollo

• Loc: Vankleek Hill, Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:12 PM

In my opinion the Baader bayonet mount both the regular and heavy duty version are totally inadequate to firmly hold the Baader MK V binoviewer. I had a similar experience with the Baader single screw bayonet with the binoviewer rotating in the bayonet but not following out - made my heart skip a few beats.

I have purchased several Zeiss “supercharged” binoviewers from Denis with the Baader single screw bayonet system. I had it custom modified with 2 more threaded holes and 2 additioned threaded set screws. The binoviewers are now much more secure.

• noisejammer and gozer like this

#9 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:23 AM

In my opinion the Baader bayonet mount both the regular and heavy duty version are totally inadequate to firmly hold the Baader MK V binoviewer. I had a similar experience with the Baader single screw bayonet with the binoviewer rotating in the bayonet but not following out - made my heart skip a few beats.

I have purchased several Zeiss “supercharged” binoviewers from Denis with the Baader single screw bayonet system. I had it custom modified with 2 more threaded holes and 2 additioned threaded set screws. The binoviewers are now much more secure.

I concur - it puts them at needless risk.  Neat idea to add a couple more holes. I'll look at that!

#10 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:43 AM

Find  the lastest used Denk with a power switch.

#11 TG

TG

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 02:30 PM

Update: the good folk at Alpine Astro told me that it's repaired and the tab was $420 + local shipping form Idaho. Expected back in 4-5 weeks. I'll have a different problem now, which is that I'll have two Baader binos and while the Maxbright II isn't up to the same level as Mark V, the ergonomic improvements are sufficient to give me pause about which one to keep.

TG.

• gozer likes this

#12 dweller25

dweller25

Vanguard

• Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 09 August 2020 - 06:36 AM

My wife made made a harness to go around the MK V body which attaches around the finder mount - even if it comes totally loose the binoviewer cannot fall to the ground.

• TG likes this

#13 Highburymark

Highburymark

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 August 2020 - 05:08 PM

Update: the good folk at Alpine Astro told me that it's repaired and the tab was $420 + local shipping form Idaho. Expected back in 4-5 weeks. I'll have a different problem now, which is that I'll have two Baader binos and while the Maxbright II isn't up to the same level as Mark V, the ergonomic improvements are sufficient to give me pause about which one to keep.

TG.

Glad your BVs have been repaired.
I love my Mark V for solar ha and lunar, but I am concerned by the weight. and worry that one day I’m going to have a similar disaster. It’s almost happened twice.So I recently picked up a pair of Maxbright II, and am impressed. Much lighter and easier to use with my refractors. Quality of views no different to the Mk V that I can see bar the fov difference. The Maxbrights haven’t left my scopes since purchase.
  • TG likes this

#14 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • Loc: Umag, Croatia, Europe

Posted 10 August 2020 - 02:34 AM

I am really sorry you dont live in EU, I do same thing for 100 USD.
Only EU citizens can benefit from that unfortunately....

Kind regards
Denis
  • TG likes this

#15 TG

TG

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:52 PM

I am really sorry you dont live in EU, I do same thing for 100 USD.
Only EU citizens can benefit from that unfortunately....

Kind regards
Denis

Denis, I'm curious, what is the exact rule that prevents you from servicing non-EU items?

#16 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors

Posted 10 August 2020 - 02:13 PM

Croatian customs doesnt accept me to receive anything out of EU to get job on it etc.

Everything what comes out of EU, customs asks for bill and how much is worth what it is.
On that price, I have to pay import taxes + their expensive paperworks of import.

If they suspect its not in that price range, they alone do research using internet etc, and put price they find, and for that I have ro pay as sayed, 25% import taxes + paperworks they made.

They open every package, so.....

Kimd regards
CS
Denis, binoviewers expert

#17 neilp

neilp

Lift Off

• Loc: Ballymena, Northern Ireland

Posted 15 August 2020 - 05:53 AM

Hi,

Same thing happened to me last night, the Mark V dropped and hit the ground. I though they looked ok when I picked them up there was just a scratch in the case but when I reseated them the images would not merge at all. Not sure what to do with mine either now. 

Rgds

Neil

#18 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:45 AM

Thats common problem most users report: after loosing collimation on it, end user can not collimate binoviewer.

And Baader charge that a lot + you lost lots of waiting time.

#19 k5apl

k5apl

Apollo

• Loc: Arkansas

Posted 16 August 2020 - 12:14 PM

Neil

I think a friend dropped my Mark Vs and I cannot merge images at higher power.  They do fine at low power.  Is this similar to what your Mark Vs do?  I sure don't want to spend several hundreds of dollars!

To re-ask my question:  Can you merge at lower power, but not merge at higher power?  Low power approx 50X,

high power 150-250X.

Thanks,

Wes

#20 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

• Loc: South Central Idaho, USA

Posted 16 August 2020 - 04:52 PM

You might give Suddarth Optical a shot. https://suddarthoptical.com/

Cory was recommended to me here on CN for a problem I had with a Vixen LV zoom. They fixed my zoom at a very reasonable price, first class repair work and I highly recommend them. As their primary focus is binoculars, repairing a binoviewer would seem a natural fit.

You might drop Cory an email with a description of your problem and see what he says. Very nice folks and quite pleasant to business with.

Cheers.

Edited by BlueMoon, 16 August 2020 - 04:54 PM.

#21 TG

TG

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 16 August 2020 - 04:57 PM

Hi,

Same thing happened to me last night, the Mark V dropped and hit the ground. I though they looked ok when I picked them up there was just a scratch in the case but when I reseated them the images would not merge at all. Not sure what to do with mine either now.

Rgds
Neil

:-(

Contact Alpine Astro. There seems to be no choice other than this.

TG

#22 TG

TG

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 16 August 2020 - 04:59 PM

You might give Suddarth Optical a shot. https://suddarthoptical.com/
Cory was recommended to me here on CN for a problem I had with a Vixen LV zoom. They fixed my zoom at a very reasonable price, first class repair work and I highly recommend them. As their primary focus is binoculars, repairing a binoviewer would seem a natural fit.

You might drop Cory an email with a description of your problem and see what he says. Very nice folks and quite pleasant to business with.

Cheers.

Thanks for the tip, @BlueMoon. I think it would be great if someone could service these locally in the US.

#23 betacygni

betacygni

Vostok 1

Posted 16 August 2020 - 09:10 PM

Might try Siebert Optics as well. I know they will align most models at a fairly reasonable price, hopefully including the Mark Vs.

https://www.siebertoptics.com

Edit: oops, just noticed they were already mentioned earlier. Good person to do business with though, guess worth mentioning twice :)

Edited by betacygni, 16 August 2020 - 09:16 PM.

• TG likes this

#24 briansalomon1

briansalomon1

Messenger

• Loc: Oxnard CA

Posted 17 August 2020 - 11:24 AM

As long as the optics aren't chipped and all mechanical components function I'd be willing to buy them.

#25 neilp

neilp

Lift Off

• Loc: Ballymena, Northern Ireland

Posted 01 October 2020 - 12:12 PM

Well after dropping my Baader Mark V Binoviewers I sent them to Denis to see if he could get them back in collimation. We agreed that he would supercharge them at the same time. Well worth it, I received them back and there is a very noticeable difference when supercharged.

The service from Denis was 1st class, he kept me up to date with photos all the way through. He even repaired the paint chips on them. I would highly recommend his service.

• denis0007dl likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics