•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Repair Mark Vs or ...?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TG

TG

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 01 October 2019 - 06:45 PM

As I had always feared, the screw on the bayonet mount was not tightened enough and my babied Mark V's crashed onto asphalt. The damage is mechanical with dents and heavy miscollimation but the optics look intact. I contacted AP and they were good enough to contact Baader on my behalf but the cost is heavy: $735 + both ways shipping which I expect will bring it north of $900. Since Denis says he doesn't accept repair orders any more because of customs issues and given that Mark Vs sell for $1200-$1400 used, I'm finding it hard to justify sending them to Baader, and that too for an unspecified amount of time. My backup plan is to spend around $500 and get the Maxbright 2. But that will leave me with the conundrum of what to do with the damaged BV.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Tanveer.

#2 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Australia

Posted 01 October 2019 - 06:55 PM

Think of it this way Tanveer, at the moment you have a "Paperweight" in the shape of a binoviewer.......... For $900 you can have an "as new" pair of one of the finest binoviewers made.....

If you were to buy secondhand you may end up with a pair that still needs collimation....

#3 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 01 October 2019 - 07:03 PM

Even repaired, it would be difficult to sell it for much more than the repair cost.

My advice???   Try to work a deal with Dennis using the MK 5 as a trade-in against one of his Zeiss units. Even if he can only give you a hundred bucks for it, you are probably ahead of the game. 

Edited by Eddgie, 01 October 2019 - 07:03 PM.

• Scott in NC likes this

#4 mdowns

mdowns

Vanguard

• Loc: Englewood,FL

Posted 01 October 2019 - 08:07 PM

Have you tried contacting Harry Seibert? He does a number of repairs.Might be worth a call.

• TG and Jeff B like this

#5 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:56 AM

Have you tried contacting Harry Seibert? He does a number of repairs.Might be worth a call.

Yes, worth a shot.  waytogo.gif

• TG likes this

#6 TG

TG

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 02 October 2019 - 02:03 PM

I'll try Harry Siebert -- he's fixed a pair of binos for me before but that was one of his own manufacture. But since I agree with Matt about the damaged BV's being a paperweight, I'm not averse to trying myself to fix them. How much more worse can I make them?

Tanveer.

#7 rob.0919

rob.0919

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Derby , UK

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:28 PM

$735 + 2x shipping.....?

Thats crazy. There has to be a viable alternative ?

#8 vkhastro1

vkhastro1

Apollo

• Loc: Vankleek Hill, Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:12 PM

In my opinion the Baader bayonet mount both the regular and heavy duty version are totally inadequate to firmly hold the Baader MK V binoviewer. I had a similar experience with the Baader single screw bayonet with the binoviewer rotating in the bayonet but not following out - made my heart skip a few beats.

I have purchased several Zeiss “supercharged” binoviewers from Denis with the Baader single screw bayonet system. I had it custom modified with 2 more threaded holes and 2 additioned threaded set screws. The binoviewers are now much more secure.

• noisejammer likes this

#9 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:23 AM

In my opinion the Baader bayonet mount both the regular and heavy duty version are totally inadequate to firmly hold the Baader MK V binoviewer. I had a similar experience with the Baader single screw bayonet with the binoviewer rotating in the bayonet but not following out - made my heart skip a few beats.

I have purchased several Zeiss “supercharged” binoviewers from Denis with the Baader single screw bayonet system. I had it custom modified with 2 more threaded holes and 2 additioned threaded set screws. The binoviewers are now much more secure.

I concur - it puts them at needless risk.  Neat idea to add a couple more holes. I'll look at that!

#10 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:43 AM

Find  the lastest used Denk with a power switch.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics