•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

This has got to be a mistake!

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:27 PM

But don't they have to honor it??

https://www.emkmall....-127mm-sky-with

Frank

Tucson

• Skywatchr likes this

#2 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, USA

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:36 PM

That looks like a scam site.  There are a few websites like that.  You may lose your money and never hear from them again.  Note that the "about" page is blank.

• Paul Hyndman, stevew, Skywatchr and 2 others like this

#3 John Rogers

John Rogers

Messenger

Coming from China, I thought they would get you on shipping.  However, if you buy two, the shipping is free!

• PirateMike likes this

#4 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• topic starter

I went for it!  Someone screwed up here and I hope they don't catch it!  Let's see what happens!

Frank

• Skywatchr and PirateMike like this

#5 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:37 PM

Yes, a quick Google Search for "EMKMall.com" shows that is a known scam site.  Stay away.

• stevew, Skywatchr and PirateMike like this

#6 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:37 PM

I paid with PayPal.  They have to cover it.

FC

• PirateMike likes this

#7 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:39 PM

https://www.scamdoc.com/view/86932

#8 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:42 PM

At least in the US, shops don't have to honor prices if they're legitimately a mistake.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#9 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:47 PM

As far as I can tell, that website did not make a mistake.  Websites like that will automatically scrape photos and descriptions from legitimate e-stores, then slash the prices, often on high-end or popular items, to lure in people to be scammed with "too good to be true" deals and then have their money and personal information stolen.  It's very illegal, but difficult to police and shut down, especially across international borders.

When I was shopping for a DSLR camera, I ran into several of these websites that seemed to be selling Canon products at ridiculously low prices.  But if you know what to look for, you can usually figure out whether they're fake or not.  The biggest red flag is that most manufacturers (such as Canon and Sky-Watcher) have official lists of authorized dealers and distributors.  Anyone else selling their products is a gray-market or black-market dealer (or an outright scam site), if they are not authorized to sell the products by the manufacturer.  At least for Canon, the manufacturer warranty is not valid if you do not buy the product from an authorized dealer or distributor.

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 01 October 2019 - 10:58 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, Mitrovarr, kingjamez and 4 others like this

#10 Old Man

Old Man

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:20 PM

I am thinking about jumping on that. But doing a search on the web site shows only clothing, even searching for the scope shows "no matches found".

But they do take PayPal, I am so tempted.

Mike

#11 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:27 PM

Keep us posted. I would contact PayPal also. Is it possible the PayPal link on the site is not legit? Doesn't hurt to check.

Just wondering how much was the shipping?

Edited by scadvice, 01 October 2019 - 11:29 PM.

#12 kingjamez

kingjamez

Vanguard

• Loc: Fairfax, VA

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:37 PM

IT IS A SCAM... I don't understand why you'd even try it. Just throwing money away or creating an enormous hassle for yourself. Nicole did her best.

#13 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:39 PM

I would be out $95 - shipping was a little over $5.  I've already contacted PayPal but I need to do it during normal hours.  Their automated help system is a total horror show. If they can't refund the money, this will actually be the first time I have been scammed! But maybe that SW mount with 127 Mak will show up on my doorstep in a few week (NOT!)

Frank

#14 Nippon

Nippon

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:39 PM

Why if it is a reputable site that made a mistake would you want to take advantage of it. If you paid for something at a store like a $5 dollar item with a 10 and they gave you change for a 20 would you walk out and feel good about it or would you correct the error? 

• Jon Isaacs, Paul Hyndman, stevew and 9 others like this

#15 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:46 PM

Why if it is a reputable site that made a mistake would you want to take advantage of it. If you paid for something at a store like a $5 dollar item with a 10 and they gave you change for a 20 would you walk out and feel good about it or would you correct the error? 

I would certainly correct the error (as I have done throughout my life), that's just the way I was brought up.

I expect to be treated fairly by those who I do business with, and I expect that I do the same in return.

Miguel   8-)

• Paul Hyndman, Scott in NC, payner and 6 others like this

#16 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:49 PM

I always go with reputable, established dealers. Even if it ~costs more~ I'm perfectly happy to pay more... And you can always Google etc. companies. If you get no info, forget it. Reputable dealers will always pop up as --- reputable! Scammers will most often pop up as ... scammers! When in doubt --- forget it!   Tom

• Terra Nova and PirateMike like this

#17 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 02 October 2019 - 12:11 AM

Yeah, I agree. At times, I have pointed out that the cashier charged me too little! I just would feel unclean to take advantage of a vendor.   Tom

• Vesper818, Starsareus, eros312 and 3 others like this

#18 OneGear

OneGear

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Minneapolis

Posted 02 October 2019 - 12:33 AM

I only buy from scammers.  At work I only make mistakes in favor of the customer so it probably evens out.  

Edited by OneGear, 02 October 2019 - 12:33 AM.

• Jon Isaacs, Skywatchr, eros312 and 5 others like this

#19 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 02 October 2019 - 12:52 AM

funnypost.gif

• fcathell likes this

#20 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 October 2019 - 02:49 AM

Frank

Tucson

There is no honor among thieves......so they say.

On a lighter note- the clouds have gone & the sky is blue!smile.gif

Edited by pyrasanth, 02 October 2019 - 02:50 AM.

• Skywatchr likes this

#21 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 02 October 2019 - 06:25 AM

Also no mention - that I saw - that it is new, reconditioned, damaged, etc. At that price it might be a damaged merchandise ... but hoping, as you said, that it was a mistake!

#22 gfstallin

gfstallin

Viking 1

• Loc: Cheverly, Maryland USA

Posted 02 October 2019 - 07:58 AM

This looks exactly like the site I saw that was selling Celestron's Starsense for $89 with free shipping. I was so tempted. After ten seconds of day dreaming, high school economics classes from 20 years ago kicked in and I just filed the price into the "unicorn sighting" archive. Even if PayPal will protect us, IMHO, there comes a point at which the onus for precaution falls on the buyer. In a legitimate market, the hand controller for the mount sells for about the same price as that advertised for the entire OTA+mount package combined. Unless they are selling the corrector for $400 as a "recommended accessory," this seems a little bit..off. 

George

Edited by gfstallin, 02 October 2019 - 07:59 AM.

• kingjamez and payner like this

#23 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:09 AM

Frank

Tucson

They're in China. I wouldn't trust them myself, but if you use a good CC, you could always dispute the charges. But as Nicole said, the "about us" page is blank, along with their email not being clickable to trigger your email, plus a few other red flags.

Edited by Skywatchr, 02 October 2019 - 08:10 AM.

#24 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:11 AM

PayPal may get your money back, but how much stuff is scammer going to buy with your PayPal information? $95 might not be the point of the scam.

Granted after going through considerable hassle you might get all those charges erased. Ultimately the scammer gets free stuff and PayPal foots the bill, and you hopefully just get to deal with a big headache.

Scott
  • Jon Isaacs, Mitrovarr, Skywatchr and 5 others like this

#25 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:29 AM

So you get advised that the site is very likely a scam and you still go ahead and use PayPal because it's "safe"?

This is like scamming an insurance company. Sure you probably won't be out any money (eventually) but I and everyone else will. PayPal costs us all 3+% because of overhead like this. Same for our every increasing insurance rates.

Financial protection (fraud protection, insurance for property, jobs, etc.), it is there to protect us and for many it's mandatory and not an option. We don't need folks knowingly abusing the systems and driving up rates.

Edited by mclewis1, 02 October 2019 - 08:30 AM.

• Skywatchr, payner, Astrojensen and 8 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics