•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

This has got to be a mistake!

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#51 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 03 October 2019 - 09:07 AM

With some stuff, I can totally understand importing it. A few vendors force obnoxiously high prices in the US, probably because they think Americans are all rich, or something. The prices will be consistent between retailers, so it's not the retailer's fault, it's the manufacturer requiring them to set unrealistically high prices. It sucks.

Takahashi and Baader are the two companies that immediately come to mind, but there are probably others.

#52 skysoldier173abn

skysoldier173abn

Explorer 1

Posted 03 October 2019 - 09:21 AM

Hope it works out

#53 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Skylab

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:20 AM

If you buy it from Asia that is where you have to send it for repair. The $400 you save maybe mainly import taxes and differences in the warranty. Canon and most makers of anything electronic won't locally honor grey-market items.

As I said, I have gotten Canon USA support for a gray market camera.  In fact, they never asked me for a serial number.

#54 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:20 AM

I think one reason I went for this is because of the SW 102 Mak I got as a bargain.  They are normally priced at $265. I saw this "open box" deal at a camera store in NYC listed for $210.  I figured I could return it if the optics were bad because they had a return policy.  Being a sucker for Maks I went on to the checkout and the price was now listed at $179 with free shipping so I did it and got a brand new SW 102 Mak about a week later. The other fortunate part was that it has the best optics of just about any Mak I've had. It can easily take 216X (6mm eyepiece) with no problem and gives stunning views of Jupiter and Saturn.  I lucked out here and I guess I though I may be able to do it again. The price on this latter "attempt" was just way too low, but I was hoping for a labeling mistake. It was MY mistake!

Frank 

• NickInSac likes this

#55 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:25 AM

Ah, you got a bad case of Mak fever. :)

Did any charges post to PayPal? Wonder if some unexpected charges, or just the purchase price, might have posted to your account. Keeping an eye on it, I suppose.

#56 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 03 October 2019 - 12:38 PM

Only the purchase price posted and I immediately changed my password and drained the account.  I talked to PayPal and they said wait 7 days and then file a fraud complaint and they will cover it.

Yeah, I do like Maks.

Frank 

• Asbytec and gene 4181 like this

#57 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, USA

Posted 03 October 2019 - 01:04 PM

Only the purchase price posted and I immediately changed my password and drained the account.  I talked to PayPal and they said wait 7 days and then file a fraud complaint and they will cover it.

Yeah, I do like Maks.

Frank 

If you already have a 102 and a 150, you should get a mini-Mak maybe.  Something like a C70 or a MightyMak, but the baffles start to get really small on anything under 90 mm.

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 03 October 2019 - 01:07 PM.

• fcathell likes this

#58 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 03 October 2019 - 04:43 PM

I've had an excellent ETX-90 and Synta (Celestron) 90, but the SW 102 was getting used most of the time and I'm not really a "collector" so I sold the two 90s.  The 102 doesn't weight much more and there is a noticeable increase in brightness over a 90, so I kept it. The only thing I don't like about the ETX-90s is the fixed position of the eyepiece and the flip mirror thing. It's a nightmare to collimate because the rear flip mirror housing has to be removed. Those older ones had super optics, however.

Frank

#59 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 03 October 2019 - 09:20 PM

I'm pretty sure that's only Nikon that does that.  I know for a fact, Canon will service their products wherever bought, but they may charge you a fee.

By the way, what if I lived in Japan last year, bought a Nikon camera and then moved to the U.S.?  Should I still have to send it back to Japan for service?  If so, that is unfair.

As long as you bought it from a reputable dealer, you'd be fine. Gray market, it's hard to say, but probably not under warranty.

#60 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:54 AM

Let us know if the Mak arrives...curious.

#61 skysoldier173abn

skysoldier173abn

Explorer 1

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:53 AM

Same

#62 Old Man

Old Man

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:15 PM

I think one reason I went for this is because of the SW 102 Mak I got as a bargain.  They are normally priced at $265. I saw this "open box" deal at a camera store in NYC listed for $210.  I figured I could return it if the optics were bad because they had a return policy.  Being a sucker for Maks I went on to the checkout and the price was now listed at $179 with free shipping so I did it and got a brand new SW 102 Mak about a week later. The other fortunate part was that it has the best optics of just about any Mak I've had. It can easily take 216X (6mm eyepiece) with no problem and gives stunning views of Jupiter and Saturn.  I lucked out here and I guess I though I may be able to do it again. The price on this latter "attempt" was just way too low, but I was hoping for a labeling mistake. It was MY mistake!

Frank 

Frank, I wouldn't say it was YOUR mistake. Who knows how some things in China are done? Some things are not explainable from there. I hope you get it and then I will kick my own &^% for not taking the jump as I live on a very limited income and would love one of these scopes.

Good luck, I hope you get a good one. Please post or PM me as soon as you get it, as it is still on their web site and if it is the real deal, I can afford to get one and will if it all works out.

Mike

Mike

#63 skysoldier173abn

skysoldier173abn

Explorer 1

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:45 PM

Any news of the scope? 

#64 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:25 PM

No response from the "vendor" at all.  Going to open the fraud case in PayPal tomorrow.  It has been 7 days. At least I will get a refund once they do their paperwork. I wasn't really holding my breath anyway.  LOL!

Frank

#65 skysoldier173abn

skysoldier173abn

Explorer 1

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:01 PM

Well secretly I wanted it to work in your favor. Personally I don’t care how the deal is made, just that the product is legit and cheap.

too bad. Would have loved to by their XT8 plus for $89

#66 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:06 AM

The claim has been filed with PayPal and it turns out that the name associated with the "company"  (Monica Burger) and her Email address are totally bogus. PayPal is aware of this now, so it is just a matter of time before I get a refund.  I would sure like to know how they attempt to track down and thwart continuing fraud like this. 

Frank

• skysoldier173abn likes this

#67 skysoldier173abn

skysoldier173abn

Explorer 1

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:41 AM

Too bad. Usually when it’s too good to be true.....you know the rest.

Thank goodness for buyer protection. Hope you score that Mak deal one day ✌️

• Dynan likes this

#68 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Apollo

• Loc: NE WI

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:20 AM

I'm pretty sure that's only Nikon that does that.  I know for a fact, Canon will service their products wherever bought, but they may charge you a fee.

By the way, what if I lived in Japan last year, bought a Nikon camera and then moved to the U.S.?  Should I still have to send it back to Japan for service?  If so, that is unfair.

I had a local camera store sell me a Canon camera they got grey market and the registration was returned to me as invalid because it wasn't a US serial number. They said it had no warranty. I have no desire to pay "a fee'' for a repair that shouldn't cost anything. Canon has twice repaired cameras at no charge to me.

#69 dweller25

dweller25

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:42 AM

The claim has been filed with PayPal and it turns out that the name associated with the "company"  (Monica Burger) and her Email address are totally bogus. PayPal is aware of this now, so it is just a matter of time before I get a refund.  I would sure like to know how they attempt to track down and thwart continuing fraud like this. 

Frank

I suspect they won’t even try to track down the fraudsters - small potatoes in a very big field

• Jaimo! likes this

#70 WadeH237

WadeH237

Aurora

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:32 PM

I would sure like to know how they attempt to track down and thwart continuing fraud like this. 

I suspect that they don't care about it at all.  An actual investigation would probably cost more than it would ever recover.  It's probably factored in as a "cost of doing business".

In other words, you are paying for it through the fees you pay them.

• gfstallin and skysoldier173abn like this

#71 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Australia

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:37 PM

I suspect they won’t even try to track down the fraudsters - small potatoes in a very big field

Unfortunately there are people who attempt to gain by jumping onto these "bargains" even though they suspect a scam, this just encourages the scammers..... and using PP for these obvious scams just causes PP to raise their rates to pay for the time taken to deal with the "refunds"..........

• Skywatchr and payner like this

#72 kksmith

kksmith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montana

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:18 PM

Another one of the same ilk. Ran across this one while looking for a better wedge for my C8.

https://www.lorioutl...lack-hd-8-9-11-

Ken

• Skywatchr, fcathell and skysoldier173abn like this

#73 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:57 PM

Another one of the same ilk. Ran across this one while looking for a better wedge for my C8.

Ken

Looks like the same scammers.

#74 ad701xx

ad701xx

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:05 PM

Ken

Looks legit to me. All of the best astronomy shops sell prom dresses, don't they?

• Skywatchr, eros312, Kunama and 2 others like this

#75 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 13 October 2019 - 11:07 PM

I was looking for a solar filter for a friend with a C6 a few days ago and found one that is made for a C6.  Normal price at reputable vendors was around $85.  This was a real "bargain" at $29.00. Oh yes, it was a vendor that sold wigs! We all know that wig shops also carry solar filters.  What a crock!

Frank

• Skywatchr likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics