•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What happened to the Unistellar eVscope?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#76 MikeMiller

MikeMiller

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:06 PM

I’m interested in either getting the Stellina, the eVscooe, or building my own EAA system out of parts. If I built my own, I’m thinking if the following;
Rasa8, iOptron az-pro (2” tripod), 294-cooled camera, light pollution filter, mini-computer, large capacity lithium battery, due heater controller and straps, ...

Building such a system will be well over $4000. Perhaps over $5000. It makes the $4000 Stellina not seem all that expensive (if it turns out to be nice).

A Rasa8 is 200mm aperture and Stellina is 80mm. At least the Unistellar is 114mm.

An az-pro vs whatever the Stellina is sitting on?

I can pretty much guarantee the camera on the Stellina won't compare to a Zwo ASI294.

Now, is the ease of operation of these scopes worth the massive upcharge? Well, I guess that is only judged by the owner.

I won't be believing any pictures they post on their websites. Considering how many department-store telescopes have HST images of Andromeda on them; its all marketing fluff. I will be more likely to believe a picture from a CN member that explains how they processed the image.

As far as youtube reviewers go, find out which ones of them received their product for free in return for a review. I might trust Astrobackyard, though.

• Augustus and Forward Scatter like this

#77 MikeMiller

MikeMiller

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:09 PM

And, I do want to apologize if it seems I have been overly negative about products like this. I really want these to be successful, but crowdfunded electronics have a well deserved bad reputation.

When it comes to photography and other electronic devices, "Kickstarter + expensive electronics = scam" is true more often than it is not. I am concerned about this infecting our hobby and turning people away. 

While I don't think these are scams; I do believe that the makers of Unistellar and Stellina are at least attempting to put out a good product. They might fall into the overpromise, underdeliver, overpay model of kickstarters

For instance, Hiuni is most certainly a scam that played of the hype created by Unistellar and Stellina. Kickstarter is buyer beware, and Indiegogo is almost always a scam if it is something expensive from a new and unknown company.

Edited by MikeMiller, 18 November 2019 - 04:10 PM.

#78 OleCuss

OleCuss

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 November 2019 - 07:46 PM

Well. . .

We've had at least one member post some pretty nice photos from his Stellina.  I think they are better than I expected and I expected them to be good.

I'm actually not sure that the eVscope will have better light-gathering than does the Stellina.  If you figure a coating which will likely have a loss of 6-8% of its light due to imperfect reflectance.  I've read that our Newt primaries may lose as much as 20% of their light to scatter.  The eVscope will also have a central obstruction of a size which I do not know - I'm assuming they are minimizing the size but if they are using a board camera and then need to circularize or put in bigger supports it may be bigger than I hope.

What should be a roughly 100% better light-gathering advantage for the eVscope could disappear in its entirety.

But you should still have better resolution for the eVscope due to the larger aperture.

I know that I'm sorta going against popular opinion, but I've more hope for the Hiuni than for the eVscope.

A really plugged in person said that the Hiuni folk are serious people.

If you read the bios for the Hiuni team they read just about as they should for a group to develop the Hiuni.  But I'd happily agree that the bios could be fake if it weren't for the fact that I was told they are serious people.

If you want more light-gathering, the Hiuni should beat either the Stellina or the eVscope unless it is very poorly designed.

The Hiuni will actually have the sampling just about where I'd want it to be whereas that is not true for either the Stellina or the eVscope.  Maybe that was just luck but it just might suggest the Hiuni bunch know just how they need to do this for maximum performance.  A downer is that I have not been able to learn how good the sensor is - could be much noisier than I'd like.

I don't get the Hiuni updates, but what is available publicly would suggest they are either into beta-testing or have entered the beta-testing phase.  Yup, they could be faking that but I think it would be easier to hype the product in another manner.

I really like it that they are talking beta-testing.  Assuming their approach to processing images is similar to that of the Stellina, beta-testing with skilled users could allow crowd-sourcing of the settings for processing.

I cannot swear that the Hiuni isn't a scam but I've more confidence in it than I have for the eVscope.

Time will tell.  None of them has any of my money so far.

Edited by OleCuss, 18 November 2019 - 07:48 PM.

#79 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:13 PM

Well. . .

We've had at least one member post some pretty nice photos from his Stellina.  I think they are better than I expected and I expected them to be good.

I'm actually not sure that the eVscope will have better light-gathering than does the Stellina.  If you figure a coating which will likely have a loss of 6-8% of its light due to imperfect reflectance.  I've read that our Newt primaries may lose as much as 20% of their light to scatter.  The eVscope will also have a central obstruction of a size which I do not know - I'm assuming they are minimizing the size but if they are using a board camera and then need to circularize or put in bigger supports it may be bigger than I hope.

What should be a roughly 100% better light-gathering advantage for the eVscope could disappear in its entirety.

But you should still have better resolution for the eVscope due to the larger aperture.

I know that I'm sorta going against popular opinion, but I've more hope for the Hiuni than for the eVscope.

A really plugged in person said that the Hiuni folk are serious people.

If you read the bios for the Hiuni team they read just about as they should for a group to develop the Hiuni.  But I'd happily agree that the bios could be fake if it weren't for the fact that I was told they are serious people.

If you want more light-gathering, the Hiuni should beat either the Stellina or the eVscope unless it is very poorly designed.

The Hiuni will actually have the sampling just about where I'd want it to be whereas that is not true for either the Stellina or the eVscope.  Maybe that was just luck but it just might suggest the Hiuni bunch know just how they need to do this for maximum performance.  A downer is that I have not been able to learn how good the sensor is - could be much noisier than I'd like.

I don't get the Hiuni updates, but what is available publicly would suggest they are either into beta-testing or have entered the beta-testing phase.  Yup, they could be faking that but I think it would be easier to hype the product in another manner.

I really like it that they are talking beta-testing.  Assuming their approach to processing images is similar to that of the Stellina, beta-testing with skilled users could allow crowd-sourcing of the settings for processing.

I cannot swear that the Hiuni isn't a scam but I've more confidence in it than I have for the eVscope.

Time will tell.  None of them has any of my money so far.

You can tell from the Hiuni videos that the thing is literally a fake CGI render, the pictures are fake, the mount design is idiotic, the 6" f/12 Mak optics are moronic, the "demo unit" looked like it had had the corrector cleaned with a Brillo pad and the price point is impossible.

The Unistellar might be a scam too ultimately, but their demonstration hardware is at least real.

• MikeMiller likes this

#80 OleCuss

OleCuss

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:46 PM

You can tell from the Hiuni videos that the thing is literally a fake CGI render, the pictures are fake, the mount design is idiotic, the 6" f/12 Mak optics are moronic, the "demo unit" looked like it had had the corrector cleaned with a Brillo pad and the price point is impossible.

The Unistellar might be a scam too ultimately, but their demonstration hardware is at least real.

Your points are appreciated.  I'm hoping it's no scam but I'm not putting any money on it either. . .

I should probably point out, however, that Hiuni folk have a YouTube video from back in 2018 which shows what appears to be a very early prototype which does not appear to be CGI.  Looks to me like it might actually have been a 3D print job.  I think they didn't find it suitable and afterward designed to work with Bosma.

Yeah, assuming they actually did the early prototype does not mean they are a going concern today.

And again, I've not bought into any of these systems.

Edited by OleCuss, 18 November 2019 - 09:58 PM.

#81 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wandering the PNW

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:07 PM

A Rasa8 is 200mm aperture and Stellina is 80mm. At least the Unistellar is 114mm.

An az-pro vs whatever the Stellina is sitting on?

I can pretty much guarantee the camera on the Stellina won't compare to a Zwo ASI294.

Now, is the ease of operation of these scopes worth the massive upcharge? Well, I guess that is only judged by the owner.

I won't be believing any pictures they post on their websites. Considering how many department-store telescopes have HST images of Andromeda on them; its all marketing fluff. I will be more likely to believe a picture from a CN member that explains how they processed the image.

As far as youtube reviewers go, find out which ones of them received their product for free in return for a review. I might trust Astrobackyard, though.

Note to YouTube reviewers in general: Enough of the "unboxing" videos. Enough of edgy videography of places like Vegas or Coachella. Spend more time actually reviewing the instrument, preferably while actually using the darn scope or camera. 20 minutes of viewing travelogue and selfies to get 30 seconds of actual product review really is a waste of everyone's time, even if it is "hip". This trend actually makes viewers and CN curmudgeons very skeptical of the message, as it's obvious the infill is used to hide a very thin message.

• eros312, MikeMiller and Augustus like this

#82 arrowspace90

arrowspace90

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: United States

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:40 AM

I had my CPC-8 out last night under the best skies I have seen in the greater DFW area (north of DFW).  I could look up and see the winter Milky Way when I got out of my car.  Awesome.  A 44 minute drive from home.

But I couldn't help but wish I was getting my own photos of that sky.  The complex and expensive world of astro-photography is definitely beckoning.  My CPC, they say, cannot be easily deforked.  I will keep it always to grow my neo-classic observing skills (though not star hopping and only alt/az).

The eVscope will hopefully, hopefully be something I could set up in my home driveway, light pollution and all.  Something my family could see the Orion Nebula through as more than a grey blur.

I am reading intro to photography posts here on CN.   It requires more assets than the Bank of America.  But hard to resist dipping in.  I drool with envy at any of the "amateur" photos I see.  I realize they require moon shot tech and financing...yikes. 

Edited by arrowspace90, 19 November 2019 - 10:43 AM.

#83 MikeMiller

MikeMiller

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:28 AM

Note to YouTube reviewers in general: Enough of the "unboxing" videos. Enough of edgy videography of places like Vegas or Coachella. Spend more time actually reviewing the instrument, preferably while actually using the darn scope or camera. 20 minutes of viewing travelogue and selfies to get 30 seconds of actual product review really is a waste of everyone's time, even if it is "hip". This trend actually makes viewers and CN curmudgeons very skeptical of the message, as it's obvious the infill is used to hide a very thin message.

This is how many youtube review channels operate. All flash, little substance. And desperate to not criticize the product too much, lets others will stop sending them free stuff.

• Augustus and Forward Scatter like this

#84 cmooney91

cmooney91

Vostok 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:34 AM

And then there is AvE

#85 arrowspace90

arrowspace90

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: United States

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:41 AM

No they don't. Since you are posting in the EAA sub forum, I'm assuming you realize the differences between EAA and astrophotography. Using short subs and modern stacking technology you can get some really great images with surprisingly inexpensive equipment (at least relative to astrophotography). Scroll up to post number 64 above and see how much Corey's system costed. And having seen a number of his YouTube videos of his live streams, I can tell you he gets some pretty nice images.

My system, like the rest of my life, is pretty darn modest as well. Because I made my own tripod out of scrap scrap 2x3s and some furniture-grade plywood, I was able to get the price of my entire set up down to even less than Corey's.

attachicon.gif Imaging Setup 130_SLTs.jpg

And here is an image I got last night with it of Triangulum. Certainly not as nice as a multi-hour AP marathon, but costs 15% what an eVscope costs and involves zero hours of post processing. And is just plain fun.

attachicon.gif Stack_160frames_640s.jpg

That's very cool.  Great pics.  Kudos to people like you.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics