•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LS8 Wrong Date

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Johnelf

Johnelf

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 October 2019 - 06:31 PM

Hi All

I have just purchased a second hand LS8.

Whilst the GPS works fine, the date I get is 18th Feb 00

It is running 1.6d. Firmware.

Can you please advise the latest firmware and will it fix the April 2019 GPS bug?

Kind Regards

John

#2 wtd1114

wtd1114

Vostok 1

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:12 PM

Yes, Meade came out with 1.6e specifically for the GPS issue.  Unfortunately, the Autostar updating software, even the latest version, is not able to get the LS firmware like it used to.  I think the new firmware for whatever reason is not located on their website like before.  You will have to call their support contact on the meade.com website.  You can either order one of the rare mini-SD cards all pre-made with V1.6e firmware from meade, or if you have a mini-SD card and have the means to work with it, they can send you the information to download the firmware file.  I just had to update an LS6...

regards-

Willis

• REC likes this

#3 Johnelf

Johnelf

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2019 - 02:44 AM

Yes, Meade came out with 1.6e specifically for the GPS issue. Unfortunately, the Autostar updating software, even the latest version, is not able to get the LS firmware like it used to. I think the new firmware for whatever reason is not located on their website like before. You will have to call their support contact on the meade.com website. You can either order one of the rare mini-SD cards all pre-made with V1.6e firmware from meade, or if you have a mini-SD card and have the means to work with it, they can send you the information to download the firmware file. I just had to update an LS6...

regards-

Willis

#4 Johnelf

Johnelf

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2019 - 02:56 AM

Many thanks Wills
At least I know I have not waisted my money on a large paperweight 😢

John🍺

#5 Johnelf

Johnelf

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2019 - 05:33 AM

Pity I cannot find a link from Meade to format and make my own card ?
John

#6 wtd1114

wtd1114

Vostok 1

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:34 PM

Well, once upon a time you could download the Autostar Updater program from Meade and create the SD card on your own.  You can still download the Autostar program, but the new v1.6e LS-ETX firmware is not on their download site for some reason.  Don't know why they broke their software this way--kinda frustrating... You will have to call Meade customer support and they will send information on how to create the SD card.  You can also order a pre-made SD card sent to you for a fee...

Willis

#7 Johnelf

Johnelf

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 October 2019 - 01:38 PM

Many thanks for all the help.

**** shame Meade do not make the software readily available on their site. Why oh Why !  confused1.gif   

But nice to know members help each other out and very resourceful  flowerred.gif

John

#8 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 08 October 2019 - 02:42 PM

I just got the card from Meade and loaded in the 1.6e firmware. It's been cloudy everyday since!

#9 MikeBY

MikeBY

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Huntington Beach, CA

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:15 AM

REC,
Isn't that always the case? 😂
Johnelf,
Hope it will go as smoothly.
Give it time to load.. its a slow process.
There are pitfalls, if you're following the other threads on the subject.

#10 Johnelf

Johnelf

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:37 AM

I ended up getting a pre done card from Harrison Telescopes. Great service and arrived next day.
I mirror comment on another thread too much hassle trying to make your own. Loaded fine and resolved the issue.
Now I just have to get my head around filters and Barlow etc.
John

#11 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:36 AM

Coolness! I also bought a used LS 8 ACF running v1.6a and I'd like to get a card with the updated firmware. Any suggestions where I can buy one? For now I've just been entering my time an location manually and this has worked fine so far. No problems, but it would be nice to have it working 100%

I absolutely love this scope! It is soooo much fun to use! I like being able to carry it outside fully assembled, flip the switch on, and let it do it's thing while I set the rest of my gear out. It's always fun to come back to it waiting patiently for me with the last alignment star centered in the field.

Fun stuff.

#12 Johnelf

Johnelf

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:49 AM

Harrison Telescopes as I said above
If your in the UK?
Or borrow mine
John

#13 REC

REC

Voyager 1

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:59 PM

REC,
Isn't that always the case?
Johnelf,
Hope it will go as smoothly.
Give it time to load.. its a slow process.
There are pitfalls, if you're following the other threads on the subject.

It did take almost an hour, but it was successful it said. We have clear skies tonight but with the almost full moon out I'm not sure it will find a bright enough stars to get it aligned? Also have limited sky to work with because of some trees and my house blocking the western sky.

I want to keep observing Saturn and Jupiter before they get out of my range. For a quick look I may just take my ETX-125 out and just use it manual.

#14 MikeBY

MikeBY

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:51 PM

Coolness! I also bought a used LS 8 ACF running v1.6a and I'd like to get a card with the updated firmware. Any suggestions where I can buy one? For now I've just been entering my time an location manually and this has worked fine so far. No problems, but it would be nice to have it working 100%

I absolutely love this scope! It is soooo much fun to use! I like being able to carry it outside fully assembled, flip the switch on, and let it do it's thing while I set the rest of my gear out. It's always fun to come back to it waiting patiently for me with the last alignment star centered in the field.

Fun stuff.

You can order from Meade Tech support. They can also provide a link to the software download, but please look at posts related to firmware updates. There are a few gotchya's making your own disk from the download and successfully loading it. 

Happy viewing :)

Michael

#15 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:38 PM

Hmmm, I looked at Meade's website, but couldn't find it. I'll take another look.

#16 MikeBY

MikeBY

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:10 AM

Hmmm, I looked at Meade's website, but couldn't find it. I'll take another look.

You'll need to call or email and open a support case

They don't publish the d/l link or have it to order on the site. 

#17 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:23 PM

Ahah! Thanks! I really like the idea of being able to order a replacement SD card.

Neat stuff!

#18 REC

REC

Voyager 1

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:07 AM

Ahah! Thanks! I really like the idea of being able to order a replacement SD card.

Neat stuff!

Yeah, makes it easy to update that way. I just did it and it took about 45 min. and then you get a message to remove card.

#19 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

Posted 26 October 2019 - 08:28 PM

+1

I recieved the pre-loaded SD carb from Meade and updated the firmware in my LS8. Easy peasy!

#20 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

Posted 29 October 2019 - 03:10 PM

Update...

We finally had a clear evening last night and I had a chance to test the firmware update in the LS8. I set my scope outside, uncovered the camera, flipped the switch, and proceeded to make a couple of trips into my house to bring out the rest of my gear (chair, small table, notebook, PSA...). By the time I was ready to go my LS8 was done doing its thing. I uncovered the scope, carefully installed a dew shield, inserted an eyepiece (Meade 18mm UWA), and found Altair patiently waiting for me just to the right of center in the field. The rest of the evening was a lot of fun!

Love this scope!

• MikeBY likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics