•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SW 100ED Esprit question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Alex45

Alex45

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2019 - 08:01 AM

Hello all, 

Is this ring (see pic below) used to rotate the focuser on SkyWatcher 100ED Esprit?

When I try to unscrew it, it is not smooth but every quarter of a turn or so it gets "harder", as if it's not round enough... Sorry for my English.

Also, the focuser will not rotate. Do I need to unscrew that ring all the way? 

Thank you

Alex 

Attached Thumbnails

• ed100 ring.PNG

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 05 October 2019 - 08:08 AM

Yes, that's how it rotates, but the Drawtube must be extended.

See bottom of pg 10 of the manual (link)

#3 Alex45

Alex45

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:07 PM

Thanks Mike.

I tried rotating the focuser retracted and extended and still it won't move. frown.gif

Wonder if I am doing something wrong here...

EDIT: I managed to rotate it but it's really rough and hard. Not sure if it's supposed to be that way.

Edited by Alex45, 05 October 2019 - 12:23 PM.

#4 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:23 PM

Yes, you can rotated the ENTIRE focuser using the Captains Wheel.  It is supposed used for situation in which you want the focuser's controls to be on the top (or side) instead of the bottom.

If you are only needing to rotate the camera's framing, there are 2 rings attached to the drawtube; this will not change the placement of the controls.  One of these rings acts as a lockring.  Loosen the lockring, then rotated the back-most ring to get the correct camera angle, and then tighten down the lockring.

I have an Esprit 100 and LOVE it, but I have never rotated the Captain's Wheel.  I always use the 2 end rings to get the proper camera angle. 

• ezwheels and Raumfisch like this

#5 Alex45

Alex45

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2019 - 04:06 PM

Yes, you can rotated the ENTIRE focuser using the Captains Wheel.  It is supposed used for situation in which you want the focuser's controls to be on the top (or side) instead of the bottom.

If you are only needing to rotate the camera's framing, there are 2 rings attached to the drawtube; this will not change the placement of the controls.  One of these rings acts as a lockring.  Loosen the lockring, then rotated the back-most ring to get the correct camera angle, and then tighten down the lockring.

I have an Esprit 100 and LOVE it, but I have never rotated the Captain's Wheel.  I always use the 2 end rings to get the proper camera angle. 

Yeah, I just tightened the wheel up and will not be bothering myself with it anymore. 

By the way, is it possible to remove the Esprit's focuser and swap it with another one if needed? Just asking since I noticed it was coming out while I was trying to rotate it earlier.

#6 drprovi57

drprovi57

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Virgina USA

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:50 PM

I have an Esprint 100, I replaced it for a 3” FeatherTouch Focuser - it is a much more robust focuser.  Unfortunately it is expensive -I have attached an image..

Untitled

• Alex45 likes this

#7 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Apollo

• Loc: Houston

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:11 PM

Can you please provide an image pointing to this? I think it's the part right in front of the flattener, but I cannot seem to twist it at all. Is there a set screw or something keeping it in place?

#8 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Apollo

• Loc: Houston

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:17 PM

Never mind, I got it. It was the two pieces I thought, but they were on super tight from shipping. I had to use a rubber strap wrench to get it to come loose, then it worked fine.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics