•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Leupold Wind River Pinnacles 8x42

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 JimW

JimW

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:39 PM

I'm very new at serious binocular viewing (previously just used them for football games and concerts), but thought I'd post my early thoughts on the Pinnacles. I purchased them a couple of months ago as a general use binocular with only rare astronomical use for sweeping the Milky Way or low power views of the moon.

I am very pleased with the build quality of the Pinnacles. They just feel right in my hands, are not excessively bulky and easily snap into focus, even at surprisingly close range. It is amazing to watch a bee on a flower from just a few feet away! I have just begun to appreciate the variety of birds populating the area where I live. Any suggestions on which field guide to buy to help me identify them?

The field of view is bright and does not distort noticably, even up to the edges. Color correction seems excellent. I tested this by viewing the moon earlier this month and found no fringes of color.

What really surprised me though was when my wife, my daughter and I took the Pinnacles outside to view the International Space Station pass by the moon. Because there were three of us I also brought out my 25 year old Bushnell 7x50 Sportviews (I had not used them since the Pinnacles arrived). By contrast the Bushnells scattered so much light that the contrast was seriously impaired. They also showed considerable field curvature and false color.

I walked back into the house that night amazed at what the Pinnacles can do, very pleased with my new purchase and wondering how I had tolerated the images in the Bushnells for so long. Maybe I just did not know how nice medium-priced binoculars could be.

Again, maybe the more experienced who read this will get a chuckle from my inexpert report; but I wanted to let other newbies know that you can get impressive images even with modest equipment.

Any comments or questions are welcome, I enjoy lurking on this forum, as I am learing a lot.

#2 rushintuit

rushintuit

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:39 PM

That's a good looking binocular!

#3 JimW

JimW

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:40 AM

Thank you, I'm very pleased with it. It does not appear that many folks have experience with it, as there is little on this site about this binocular. It isn't one of the handful of models that gets most of the attention.

#4 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:32 AM

Jim,

Do you were glasses? If so, do the eyecups allow enough "buffer" between your glasses and the occulars w/out touching the lenses or scratching your glasses?

On the original version, the metal rim protruded above the eyecup buffer ring. I think Leupold corrected this problem on the second generation Pinnacles.

BVD had an article about this, but I no longer see it on the "recent reviews" section.

#5 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:40 AM

P.S. Peterson's "Birds of Texas and Adjacent States" might be worth checking out.

#6 JimW

JimW

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:25 AM

Brock,

Thanks for the tip on Peterson's - I'll check it out.

No, I don't wear glasses. When I get home tonight, I'll check out the eyecups and report back to you.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics