•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi Starbase 80 First Impressions

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#51 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 08 December 2019 - 01:58 AM

If you want to talk about anything other than performance of the telescope start a different thread. If there are more off topic posts about the commercial terms under which the scope is sold, I will have to lock the thread. Read the topic - First Impressions - and discuss that.

Rgrds-Ross

• markb, Bomber Bob and AstroKerr like this

#52 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Apollo

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 08 December 2019 - 02:17 AM

Thank you, Ross!

So much fuss about a $600 hobby item... and most of the fuss has nothing to do with how the telescope performs. Are the skies that cloudy and are some posters that bored?

• belgrade and Binojunky like this

#53 edif300

edif300

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Basque Country

Posted 08 December 2019 - 02:41 AM

As far as the scope itself, it seems that everyone agrees on the facts, and there is nothing more to say.

I would like to know if you can comment on the origin of the eyepieces that come with it. Some say they are made in Japan while others say the lenses come from China. Do you have any information? Thank you.

I asked about it and just got the answer: yes, are all made in Japan.
  • markb and hyia like this

#54 starmason

starmason

Vostok 1

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 08 December 2019 - 07:33 AM

I had mine out Tuesday night and Saturn looked fantastic with the 9mm Ortho.  Very sharp.  Same way with the moon.  Everything looked very sharp, with deep black shadows and small craters everywhere.  The harder I looked, the more, and smaller craters I could see.  I went out later when Orion was up.  The “Trap” was super sharp with the 20mm Kellner, and M42 showed a lot of nebulosity.  It’s a great scope.

Agreed.  It does what it was designed to do....and looks great doing it.  And being such a lightweight and simple system, one can quickly carry it from garage to back yard to observe in seconds.  A well made “grab-and-go” to enjoy using - at a moment’s notice.  Zero time to set up.  Nice optics with excellent coatings. Good aperture. Comfortable alt az mounting system.  A lot of good things about this tried and true retro-design refractor system. 

Sounds like an advertisement, I guess, but it is a cool little system. 

Saturn is a gem with the 9mm.  A nice eyepiece!

• markb, eros312, SandyHouTex and 1 other like this

#55 starmason

starmason

Vostok 1

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:38 AM

Been reading a lot of interesting information on the “translated to English” Japanese  Scope-tech site.  Explains the owner’s commitment to excellence through Japanese technology, materials and technicians to build their long tube achromatic telescope systems and optical parts.  All factories and distribution based in Japan.

here is a link:

https://scopetown.co...48781/list.html

i believe this group makes our SB80....

Their mission statement is to manufacture excellent and complete achromatic telescopes for “beginners” and include excellent parts for best observing conditions. (my interpretation).

interesting if you care to read it.  Old school philosophy stuff....how refreshing!

Cheers,

Geo

• eros312, SandyHouTex and barbie like this

#56 aa6ww

aa6ww

Vanguard

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:35 PM

The Takahashi green on the Starbase looks much nicer then the blue posted in this thread also. The green focuser and lens cell are also very nice.

...Ralph

• starmason and SandyHouTex like this

#57 lylver

lylver

Viking 1

• Loc: near Grenoble

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:28 AM

Scopetech who has the same known manufacturers Dai-ichi Kogaku & Kubota Optical provide now consistent quality at high level.

I cannot get a Starbase 80 but I could sent to Joerg° 3 samples : 1 old more than 2 years old that is planned to go to trash and 2 new

The nearest to Starbase 80 is a 80/900.

High precision in figuring, but under polishing time and edge issue that lower the PtV.

80-900test2b.JPG 80-900testb.jpg

Scopetech also suffer copy or fraud.

I got doubt when i tested the complete second hand refractor at x100/x120 maximum on Moon, cannot be used with an Or.Pl 6mm : image was blurred.

The 80/1000 is now destinated to trash : we found (message today Jan. 23rd) with help of Scopetech customer support that it was a customer replaced lens before a resell.

I got the information that all of the lens polished are compared on test plates.

Missed figuring caused the worst case : spherical aberration, nothing can be done to enhance contrast even at lower magnification.

This one under is only .81 strehl, we don't know from where it comes.

80-1000test2b.JPG

The 80/1200 (high end) is here : https://www.cloudyni...days/?p=9924611

It has a 0.972 strehl in D ray (planetary) and 0.98 strehl for solar use.

Takahashi is providing support and constant quality check for the 80/800 of the Starbase 80 so you can expect at least .95/.96 strehl for it.

°Joerg is Wellenform : the usual APM telescopes interferometry reference test company.

Myriam

Edited by lylver, 23 January 2020 - 08:11 AM.

• markb, eros312 and SandyHouTex like this

#58 aa6ww

aa6ww

Vanguard

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:02 AM

Hopefully when the weather inproves, we can see more about the Starbase 80. It looks like a  hot 80 F/11 achro to have.

...Ralph

#59 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:34 AM

It is a great scope, and the eyepieces are no slouches either.

• starmason, markb, paul m schofield and 3 others like this

#60 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 25 January 2020 - 12:26 PM

It is a great scope, and the eyepieces are no slouches either.

I have 4 of the Starbase EPs (3 Orthos, 1 Kellner). They all have a quality feel and build and provide sharp clean views. Much better, IMO, than similarly priced Plossls I have purchased.

• starmason, markb, SandyHouTex and 4 others like this

#61 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:38 PM

How steadily does the scope ride on the mount provided? 

#62 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:42 AM

How steadily does the scope ride on the mount provided? 

In altitude, it's a little wobbly because the pivot is below the scope, with the mass of the scope above it.  In azimuth it's way more sturdy and pivots around fine.

#63 starmason

starmason

Vostok 1

Posted 30 January 2020 - 03:27 PM

The Takahashi green on the Starbase looks much nicer then the blue posted in this thread also. The green focuser and lens cell are also very nice.

...Ralph

Ralph,

Agreed.....the SB-80 is a beautifully finished telescope system.  The Pale Green and White combination is very special also.  Gives it a more unique look than the usual standard white or black finishes out there.  Meade Blue looks nice on their achromat offerings but the cheap plastic parts- and cheaper eyepieces and diagonal - are a turnoff to me.  Although the SB-80 costs more than the other 80mm achromats out there, it does exude QUALITY when set up and observing with it's standard parts.  A very nice "stand alone" 80mm telescope system.

• belgrade, SandyHouTex, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#64 belgrade

belgrade

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Far North SA, TX

Posted 30 January 2020 - 04:26 PM

I really like it but I'd prefer that only OTAs are offered... at least as an option.

• eros312 likes this

#65 starmason

starmason

Vostok 1

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:30 PM

I really like it but I'd prefer that only OTAs are offered... at least as an option.

That would be nice if it would be offered as an OTA also.  I do enjoy the complete telescope, though.  Scope well suited to the alt az mount.  Looks great as a package scope.

• belgrade and Bomber Bob like this

#66 belgrade

belgrade

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Far North SA, TX

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:26 PM

I agree, the setup looks great... but it adds to the price. And many amateurs already have suitable mounts.

#67 pancho61

pancho61

Lift Off

• Loc: France, D Day beach

Posted 04 February 2020 - 06:03 PM

Hello,

I have buy the MAXI refractor from Scopetech ( 80/1200), whose scope design represent Japan spirit. I do not want to describe the optical quality as lyl wrote it. Just regarding the test result this a planetary scope ( design mainly for that) only one describe it,work perfect. Mechanics is really simple, only simple rack focuser but you don't need to upgrade works fine, mouvement is smooth enough for high focus. Scopetech ad two small mechanical target for easy finding very good Idea. Two baffle inside, black paint all of inside the tube. When you see the scope, you understand how maker take care to assembly it.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200115_175330_compress4.jpg
  • IMG_20191227_000358_compress87_compress90.jpg
  • IMG_20200115_175553_compress5_compress35.jpg

Edited by pancho61, 04 February 2020 - 07:56 PM.

• m9x18, eros312 and Bomber Bob like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics