Our 1st storm in a long time is coming tonight. I will miss the views through my 200. I could sure use the time to get caught up on work but boy will I miss it for the next 2 or 3 days, perhaps longer. We are also going away for Thanksgiving so I will have to deal.
Today, I debated with leaving the scope out under the cover. I thought this would be a good chance to see what the covers could do. The wind is forecast for 20-30 mph winds with higher gusts possible. I want so badly to see if my setup can withstand this "small" storm.
Oh well, I decided I better not take the chance with the scope. It is irreplaceable not to mention the cost. But the pier and mount can be replaced if necessary... I really don't want to, of course.
So I took the scope in. I haven't lifted it for a while and was dreading it but it turned out quite easy. The harder part is putting it back on. But I can do it!
I think I made the smart move to remove the scope but I sure would like to know what kind of winds it can withstand. Now I am more seriously considering the permanent pier sooner rather than later. I have to worry too much about the scope in the wind. Without the cover it would be fine. A couple of weeks ago we had very strong gusts and it survived. But with the cover who knows. And what if the wind is stronger than forecast.
Here is a picture of the mount and pier covered. I used a cover that I had for my 180 because it is smaller than my custom 200 cover. I hope it survives. We could get 8 inches of snow after some good rain. I will have to do some shoveling, the driveway and my backyard which I always do so I have room to observe.