•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New TSA 120: Marks on lens?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 need help

need help

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 October 2019 - 01:47 AM

Hi all,

I recently bought a brand new TSA 120, my first Tak! Taking a flashlight to the lens, I noticed these small marks I've circled in the picture. They're not visible without a flashlight, and also not visible unless on-axis with one. They don't look like scratches, more like fingerprint oil or a small patch of residue. They're not on the outer surface so I can't easily clean it. 

It seems harmless, but still annoying. Is this common with new Taks? Any idea what it is?

Thanks and CS.

Attached Thumbnails

• 71786856_2393302200939988_838428575966167040_n.jpg

#2 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 06 October 2019 - 01:53 AM

Call the supplier for a return.

With the money that the TSA 120 costs, it should be pristine. I wouldn't settle for anything less and neither should you.

Miguel   8-)

• GlenM, mich_al, gnowellsct and 6 others like this

#3 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 October 2019 - 01:53 AM

No lens is perfect, they all can produce very slight marks/imperfections/dust/etc. when inspected with a super bright light. I can hardly see the marks in your photo, I doubt they would affect the performance. If they really bug you, you could always contact TNR about it as it is under warranty.

• stevew, PirateMike and MGD like this

#4 213Cobra

213Cobra

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California, USA

Posted 06 October 2019 - 03:35 AM

Those defects are the dreaded OCD flaws that seem to erupt disproportionately often in even the best triplet objectives, especially in Takahashi glass. It's nothing a little 80 grit sandpaper won't take out, or better yet just a touch with a Dremel grinding bit. Use the fast speed. You can make that problem disappear yourself with much less effort than packing up the scope, returning to the seller, and seeking (and waiting for) a replacement. With a little persuading, I could even do it for you and put the scope through a lengthy and thorough inspection interval. -Phil

wink.gif

• MGD and OldManSky like this

#5 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:15 AM

Send it back, now.

• wrnchhead likes this

#6 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• Loc: PDX, OR.

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:20 AM

On the new Tak's I bought over the years the lenses looked pristine.  I do check.  If you have access to a black light it might show the question area differently and more obvious, might not, depends on what it is.

If was me, it would bug me and I'd be on the phone to get something done, it only gets to be new and perfect once, and Takahashi knows that is what it's customers expect.

• wrnchhead likes this

#7 Blueox4

Blueox4

Messenger

• Loc: Upstate New York

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:28 AM

I’ve only had two Takahashi telescopes and both have been pristine. I do check as well. On a new telescope at this level I would personally find it unacceptable. 

• 25585 likes this

#8 betacygni

betacygni

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 October 2019 - 01:01 PM

The fact that you even posted the question means it will probably bug you, and should return it. I just received a new tsa120 last month and lens was pristine, even under flashlight.
  • 25585 and mtminnesota like this

#9 mtminnesota

mtminnesota

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mahtomedi, Minnesota

Posted 06 October 2019 - 02:53 PM

My TSA-120 has a pristine lens also.  If it had been delivered with marks like that, I would also return it for cleaning/replacement.  If it were a cheap scope I might overlook it, but no.

#10 dscarpa

dscarpa

Skylab

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 06 October 2019 - 03:47 PM

I'm probably going to swing for a new WO FLT132 soon,  no way I'd be ok with it.  I'd be good with a lens swap as long as they payed for it and  shipping  both ways. David

#11 rootsabove

rootsabove

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: SW Ohio, USA

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:42 PM

When I bought my FC-100df new as well, it had quite a few particles in the center of the lens. Just as a new high grade watch should have no dust under the crystal, neither should a high grade lens. It’s part of what you pay for. I emailed my vendor, received a nice phone call from the president, I believe, and returned it for a replacement which still thrills me to this day. I do not believe I would have been as enamored with the first scope. Call or email your vendor and have a discussion. I think you will be happier. 

• Scott in NC, Erik Bakker and RAKing like this

#12 Howard Gao

Howard Gao

Viking 1

• Loc: Shanghai, China

Posted 06 October 2019 - 07:40 PM

Just return it.

#13 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 07 October 2019 - 02:46 AM

A new Tak should arrive in pristine condition. Although it is probably easy to resolve, that's up to the vendor, not to you. 

• Paul G and payner like this

#14 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Just South of Pluto

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:34 PM

For what a Tak costs you shouldn't have to accept this.  I have two Chinese made scopes that together cost less than a Tak and in both the lens are pristine.

#15 need help

need help

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:26 PM

Thanks all for the input. I bought it while overseas so unfortunately I don't have a U.S. warranty. Vendor is not being very helpful.

It's so minor but I am OCD about such things, so I might sell and get a new one stateside. If anyone is potentially interested in it, send me a PM. 

#16 MGD

MGD

Ranger 4

• Loc: Interlaken NY

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:27 PM

Instead of selling why don't you contact TNR. I'm sure they'll be willing to clean it if you pay for the service . 

Mike

• payner, Heywood and PirateMike like this

#17 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 12 October 2019 - 06:09 PM

You pay $4.5k for 4.7 inches of aperture, it d*mn well better be pristine.  For at least the first half hour out of the box.  Regardless of how it looks with the light shining on it.  GN

• mich_al likes this

#18 edif300

edif300

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Basque Country

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:59 AM

Instead of selling why don't you contact TNR. I'm sure they'll be willing to clean it if you pay for the service .
Mike

+1

#19 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Skylab

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:36 AM

Thanks all for the input. I bought it while overseas so unfortunately I don't have a U.S. warranty. Vendor is not being very helpful.

It's so minor but I am OCD about such things, so I might sell and get a new one stateside. If anyone is potentially interested in it, send me a PM. 

Can you dispute this with your credit card company or PayPal since the vendor is not working with you?

Bill

#20 BravoFoxtrot

BravoFoxtrot

Vostok 1

• Loc: Palmer Divide, Colorado

Posted 13 October 2019 - 03:45 PM

That wouldn’t bother me if the performance was excellent (as I suspect it is).  After a few times out, you’ll likely have a lot more contamination than that on the objective.  However, expectations are expectations and disappointment is hard to alleviate...

As for sending it in to TNR for cleaning, I’d be curious what the round trip shipping (insured) would be from where you’re from.  Add in the cleaning cost which I believe is reasonable.  Not to mention, I’m not keen on subjecting triplets to perils of shipping companies...especially on a journey as long as yours would likely take...round trip.

#21 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Skylab

Posted 13 October 2019 - 03:52 PM

Isn't TNR in Texas? So is the O.P.

Just drive it over and at least avoid the shipping.

#22 BravoFoxtrot

BravoFoxtrot

Vostok 1

• Loc: Palmer Divide, Colorado

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:22 PM

That would change the dynamic, but I don’t see a reference to living in Texas; just the scope being purchased overseas.  I still don’t like the idea of facilitating the cleaning of a new scope regardless of the logistics...

#23 Lola Bruce

Lola Bruce

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:29 PM

I have some nice glass and if you look hard enough you will always find something. How is it under the stars? I do have some so-so glass that is virtually perfect on inspection that is poor under the stars. Tape over the name and resist going all ocd, bottom line how does it perform?

Bruce

• Daniel Mounsey likes this

#24 Haydon

Haydon

Vostok 1

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:39 PM

I would call TNR, they may not service it at all, cleaning or otherwise, since it was purchased overseas.  Hopefully someone can tell me I'm wrong but that is my current understanding.

#25 Nippon

Nippon

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:08 PM

You said it's new so I would want a replacement not a cleaning. Why should you have a brand new scope that has been taken apart. If exchanged the scope you now have will become a refurbished unit and why should you end up paying full price for a refurbished product.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics