•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

shipping an 6SE OTA

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gamewarden

Gamewarden

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:10 AM

Folks

When shipping the above OTA should the focus knob be fully turned counter clockwise to bring everything to the back, or clockwise.

thanks Mark

#2 megion22

megion22

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Megion Russia

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:36 AM

Hello! in my opinion this does not matter, since the mass is not significant. can be sent in an arbitrary position of the main mirror, there will be no problems.

#3 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:40 AM

I say clockwise. The location of the mirror's mass in relation to the rear cell will effect its suitability to a force parallel to the central axis of the tube. When it is pulled to the rear of the scope the carrier can absorb most of the force thrusting it in the rearward direction, sparing the focuser are from fatigue. When the force is to the front of the tube the arm and focuser connection have to deal with it. Fully CCW the arm has to fully absorb the forces from both directions doubling the fatigue. 

I have a Meade 10" SCT here that was shipped without the 1/4 carrier retaining bolt. The focuser was pulled through the rear cell casting. The C6 mirror may be lighter, but physics is physics. You have to package for a 6" drop. Less mass will gain less kinetic energy in a drop than a 10", but the components that are stressed are also less robust. 

This C9.25 didn't do so well. 

IMG_9081sm.jpg

#4 donald41

donald41

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 06 October 2019 - 02:11 PM

just a word to the wise! pack that scope very well, i shipped the same se 6" sct ota and thought i had packed it with enough shipping material but when it arrived at its destination the buyer sent me some photos of the scope were to correcter lens was cracked in several places and on the box they has a label stating " damaged" i sent the payment back to him through paypal. if you have the original packaging use it by all means. the person at the ups store said that putting a label on the package with " handle with care" is most of the time over looked and packages drop into a large bend and what ever is next falls on it like maybe a jack hammer or something like that. don 

#5 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:34 PM

Focuser turned all the way clockwise. It's just good practice.

As Don mentioned extra packaging at the front end is helpful. You don't want material pressed up against the cover over the front of the scope so leave some space in case the package gets compressed a bit. Ideally you'd like something hard in place to prevent anything from ever pressing on the cover. Unfortunately it doesn't take much pressure to compress the cover and put pressure on the secondary mirror holder (and break the corrector).

Make sure the packaging won't allow the mount to move in Azimuth at all (the axis in the base). 

Take out any batteries in the base.

Don't leave the hand controller plugged in.

The original packaging is best. If you don't have the original boxes don't package the scope with just peanuts. For a custom box using solid foam cut to shape is usually the way to go. If you can use a double box (there you can use peanuts in between the two boxes). Another good packing option is expanding foam.

It would be nice to remind the new owner to do a Factory Settings reset of the hand controller before they do anything else ... this way the scope will seem like it did when brand new and powered up for the very first time.

Edited by mclewis1, 07 October 2019 - 09:35 PM.

#6 megion22

megion22

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Megion Russia

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:52 AM

This C9.25 didn't do so well. 

attachicon.gif IMG_9081sm.jpg

yes, because the c9.25 mirror weighs 2.5 kilograms.  the c6 has a much easier mirror, and to bend the hood you need to play this c6 soccer.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics