•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

pick a new target each day. Polaris

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 thundherr

thundherr

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:19 PM

yesterday, while working the evening shift,

i selected Polaris  as my target for the day.

when i tried to find polaris around 1am  at 32.2 degrees in the northern horizon i realized that its the one and only area that i have a problem with light pollution.

light pollution is so frustrating.

i started having doubts if i was not finding polaris because of poor viewing conditions or if i was looking right at it and not recognizing it.     lol

i do have a star map  but now  i dont feel confident at locating stars.   

Edited by thundherr, 06 October 2019 - 08:26 PM.

#2 Codbear

Codbear

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:40 PM

That would be the Pleiades, otherwise know as Messier 45. It is an asterism, meaning it is not an official constellation but is recognized in its own right, and it is part of the constellation Taurus the Bull. To find Polaris, you would not want to look at the northern horizon, but about 32 degrees above the northern horizon.

Other than being the North Star, there is nothing spectacular about Polaris - not super bright, and no different color, such as Arcturus. But because it is the North Star, it never rises or sets, and the rest of the northern hemisphere's sky seems to rotate around it.

• thundherr likes this

#3 caheaton

caheaton

Vanguard

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 06 October 2019 - 07:00 PM

I too have heavy light pollution (can usually only see stars naked eye down to around mag 3 to 3.5).  Polaris is visible, but it isn't at all obvious.  The only stars visible in the little dipper are Polaris, and the two end stars Pherkad and Kochab.  Here's a link that may be of some help.

https://earthsky.org...-the-north-star

• thundherr likes this

#4 B 26354

B 26354

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 06 October 2019 - 07:26 PM

Many of us know about finding Polaris by using the "pointer" stars at the end of the Big Dipper's "pot".

Problem is... right now, the Big Dipper is almost completely below the northern horizon at 9pm for his latitude.

He's almost a degree further south than I am... and here's how things look for me (approximately 33°45' N), at 9pm, as demonstrated by SkyMap 12 Lite:

Polaris vs Big Dipper.jpg

Edited by B 26354, 06 October 2019 - 07:27 PM.

• thundherr likes this

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:31 PM

Polaris is actually a very attractive double star. Many of us visit it when aligning or initializing our telescopes for the night... but rarely think of actually looking at it... just to enjoy its beauty! Especially the imaging guys (= more than half of the folks here) spend so much time and effort ~collecting data~ that nothing is left for relaxing and enjoying their targets as they present at the eyepiece.

When I finally got my new 36-inch (yeah, it's big) telescope running on a superbly sharp and clear night... The very first star I looked at, under those wonderful conditions, was Polaris. I had intended to just center it, hit a couple of buttons, and then slew over to another mount initialization star. But... Polaris completely mesmerized me... right there at the eyepiece. I realized that 1) this giant telescope is indeed magnificent... exceptionally crisp imagery, full aperture, high magnification... and 2) That Polaris itself is a fantastic object! So I spent a good fifteen minutes trying different eyepieces, even Night Vision... and just enjoying Polaris and its companion(s).

Here's a link to a good thread on Polaris! >>>

https://www.cloudyni...ris-a-ab-and-b/

So... Polaris is undoubtedly the most telescopically visited star... yet way down the list of most scrutinized stars! Next time we go to it... remember to take just a few minutes to look at it!    Tom

• flt158 likes this

#6 thundherr

thundherr

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:50 PM

That would be the Pleiades, otherwise know as Messier 45. It is an asterism, meaning it is not an official constellation but is recognized in its own right, and it is part of the constellation Taurus the Bull. To find Polaris, you would not want to look at the northern horizon, but about 32 degrees above the northern horizon.

Other than being the North Star, there is nothing spectacular about Polaris - not super bright, and no different color, such as Arcturus. But because it is the North Star, it never rises or sets, and the rest of the northern hemisphere's sky seems to rotate around it.

its exciting to have such fast responses to my post.   i am a fan of Cloudy nights.    : - )

a you tube video suggested that i try the 2 star align on my celestron 8se by selecting Polaris.   

Thank you for the information.   i will definetly look for it again tonight, weather permitting.  

#7 thundherr

thundherr

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:55 PM

Many of us know about finding Polaris by using the "pointer" stars at the end of the Big Dipper's "pot".

Problem is... right now, the Big Dipper is almost completely below the northern horizon at 9pm for his latitude.

He's almost a degree further south than I am... and here's how things look for me (approximately 33°45' N), at 9pm, as demonstrated by SkyMap 12 Lite:

attachicon.gif Polaris vs Big Dipper.jpg

Thank  You B 26354. 

im in the same boat with not being able to view the Big Dipper. 

i gave up on finding it by just viewing with my night vision goggles and looked at my star map book.   

the star map confirmed that the big dipper was not in the horizon.  lol    

#8 caheaton

caheaton

Vanguard

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:31 AM

Ooops, didn't catch that he was at 32 degrees.  I'm at 39 degrees, so there's quite difference in seeing the dipper when it's low.  However, all is still not lost.  You could use a compass to point yourself north, then look for a notable (not bright, but likely visible when in light pollution) at a height that matches your latitude (in the original poster's case it would be around 32 degrees, or about a third of the way up from the horizon towards the zenith (straight up).  You could also confirm your sighting by using binoculars to chart out the stars in the Little Dipper.

You could also wait until the wee hours of the morning when the Big Dipper will be more favorably positioned and then look for Polaris.  Once you've located it from your observing location, it's easy to locate again (since it won't move ;-)  ).

Edited by caheaton, 07 October 2019 - 08:33 AM.

• thundherr likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics