•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX90 GPS Slew Times

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 epenna

epenna

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:07 PM

I have a LX 90 GPS. I recently calibrated the motors and trained the drives, but it has not helped me with this problem: 

During Goto, once the scope decelerates from fast-slew, it takes roughly 70 second to find the object and beep. 

Is this normal? Is that just how long it takes, or is there something wrong?

Thanks, 

E

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:27 AM

Seems a bit long, I assume you have timed it as you give a value.

Is 70 from the start of the fast slew or from when? Just to get an idea of the detail.

Whichever it seems long.

If from start of slew then check the Max Slew Rate, may be lowish to reduce noise. Just thinking it could be at say 5 or 6 and 8 could improve.

Unsure of the detail of the centering action. But the Meades I have met usually take around 15-20 seconds - 70mm to 14" Meades. The fine end bit being quite small say 5-8 seconds.

There is a crazy option: Slew rate is set low, scope predicts how long to slew for at full speed, slews for that time but as slew is set to slow is say half way there, then completes at the slow fine rate hence taking a long time.

As said crazy but ???

#3 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:52 PM

I have a LX 90 GPS. I recently calibrated the motors and trained the drives, but it has not helped me with this problem: 

During Goto, once the scope decelerates from fast-slew, it takes roughly 70 second to find the object and beep. 

Is this normal? Is that just how long it takes, or is there something wrong?

Thanks, 

E

Check if you have "Quite Slew" selected : this would prevent it from slewing at max speed. 

#4 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 October 2019 - 02:23 PM

Gday SG6

Slew rate is set low, scope predicts how long to slew for at full speed, slews for that time but as slew is set to slow is say half way there, then completes at the slow fine rate hence taking a long time.

Nor quite true, it has no concept of time

It slews at full speed til a set distance from home, then starts to ramp down as it gets closer.

Once within a set radius of target, it stops, recalcs position and does a second slew to get even closer.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

#5 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:53 AM

Gday SG6

It slews at full speed til a set distance from home, then starts to ramp down as it gets closer.

Once within a set radius of target, it stops, recalcs position and does a second slew to get even closer.

It was just a thought, met so much software in my time that it occurred as a possibility. Would not make sense but sense and software do not always go hand in hand.

The thought process was that it could  "Slew for 10 seconds, then slew at fine (slow)."

If 10 sec was still a long way off then the slow bit took longer.

#6 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:56 AM

Gday SG6

Unless "Quite Slew" is selected, then it would newer slew at full speed.

#7 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 October 2019 - 04:00 AM

Gday SG6

Its all a game, as at full speed, the slew speed is based on the supply voltage, it is not "controlled"

At the end of the day, the basic firmware simply uses hardcoded distance from target values  to set speed, it has no concept of "time"

#8 epenna

epenna

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback... for clarification:

I have the LX90 plugged into an outlet, so the voltage is steady and high. 

I do not have it on quiet slew. I hit the goto button, and it gotos fast enough to make make noise for as along as it takes to get close to the object... then it slews too slowly to make noise for about 60-70 seconds before it beeps. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics