•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Compatibility of accessories between i-series and SE

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 darkapollo

darkapollo

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:21 AM

I picked up a 5i a few months ago and I love it but I want to get some more accessories and I am having a hard time finding the info.

Will any of the SE wedges work on the i-series tripod?

Are the lens caps the same fit between the 5SE and the 5i?

I want to say YES but Id rather not make a $300 mistake with buying the wedge only to find out that the i-series wont fit. 

#2 MickTaurus

MickTaurus

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:57 AM

Hi darkapollo, I found this thread:

https://www.cloudyni...ar-55i-and-5se/

Can't answer all your questions, but hey ho.

#3 darkapollo

darkapollo

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:26 AM

Yeah I had looked at that thread a while ago. I was looking for more of the physical differences. I know the 5SE can be detached from the mount and the i-series "cannot".

Are the tripods the same? Are the lens caps the same?

It looks like NO on the lens cap at least. The i-series having a metal cap that goes on the outside and the SE having a plastic one that clips inside (at least it appears that way)

#4 MickTaurus

MickTaurus

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:51 AM

The lens cap on the se models do fit inside the OTA, does on my 8se.

Martin might be able to help, he was selling one last August.

https://www.cloudyni...ron-nexstar-5i/

Edited by MickTaurus, 07 October 2019 - 10:55 AM.

#5 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:12 AM

The 5i/8i mount (the motorized base and arm) is almost identical to the 6SE/8SE mount.  The 4SE/5SE mount is similar - the mounting holes are the same but the round part of the base is a different shape.  In any case, a wedge that works with any one of these will work with the others.  This is the manual for the current SE/Evolution manual:

https://celestron-si...ual_Eng_Web.pdf

As you can see, it attaches to the tripod using the same bolts used when you put the mount directly on the tripod.  One difference is that the older 5i/8i tripod did not have the indents for the "registration pads" but that is a convenience and will not prevent the use of the wedge on that tripod.

That said, a wedge will allow slightly longer exposures but not dramatically so.  

As you have discovered, the corrector plate cover is different.  Pretty much any cover for a pre-SE 5" SCT should fit.  Otherwise, I'm sure you will figure out a homemade cover.

Any other accessories you have questions about?  

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

• darkapollo likes this

#6 darkapollo

darkapollo

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:56 PM

Thank you so much Mike! I was hoping the wedges would work. 

Right now Ive pushed to 3 minute subs in ALT/AZ but I dare not push further. I was going to start using the guide port but that only works in EQ mode and the built in wedge is just a nightmare to get positioned correctly. 

Thats all I really had. The cover was more because of the Mercury transit next month is going to pass right over the sun center and I wanted to get some solar film and a new cover to make a solar filter for the 5i like I did for my Z10 in 2017. 

#7 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:56 PM

If your 5i has a tripod with the built-in "wedge" (tilt plate) it is not the tripod typically used with the 5i/8i but rather the tripod Celestron intended for the original NexStar 4GT and now used with the 4SE/5SE (previously this tripod sold separately as part number 93497).  It is the same in regards to stability as the tripod now bundled with the 6SE/8SE (previously sold separately as part number 93593) as long as you don't use the tilt plate.  For completeness, I will note that part number 93593 was also used for the original NexStar 5/8 tripod with had aluminum legs (vice the steel legs on the tripod since the days of the 5i/8i) and it was not as stable.

Also, I must correct this statement:

One difference is that the older 5i/8i tripod did not have the indents for the "registration pads"

Actually, it did have the indents.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics