•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX65... interesting Alt-Az

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:12 PM

I was able to acquire an LX65 second hand. 

It arrived yesterday so now I am embarking on discovering it's capabilities and limitations. 

20191007_180541_result.jpg

Already there are a few things to note. 

1) Reasonable mount weight...  19#'s for a motorized alt-az capable of handling 2 OTA's (total capacity 21lbs... 14-over base & 7-outboard),  This is very transportable! 
And even if the mount was filled to capacity the total weight is able to be picked up and carried short distances.   Mount(19)+Tripod(8.5)+Capacity(21)=48.5(max) 
20191007_183045_result.jpg

2) The self positioning tripod-bolt system for the LX65 is not as good as the CPC self-centering. It does use spring loaded captive bolts... a plus, but a set of rubber pads on the base of the LX65 drag and interfere with positive lock in place.  It's a nuisance issue.

I'm not sure who decided the mount needed little rubber feet or if they though including them would be some form of dampening system(which would be inefficient at best).  Needless to say I will be making an adapter to use the mount on a larger tripod and will countersink holes to eliminate their interference. 
20191007_181205_result.jpg
20191007_181217_result.jpg
20191007_181305_result.jpg

3)  No Equatorial capability in the software settings... Quite annoying that this simple concept wasn't implemented as this would be an ideal mount for imaging with 2 OTAs.  
           I have an idea about sidestepping this limitation which I will present in the Equipment forum.  

• EdIII likes this

#2 MikeBY

MikeBY

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Huntington Beach, CA

Posted 09 October 2019 - 03:21 AM

I see what you mean about the rubber feet. I wonder if the intent was to use it on a tabletop?

#3 alval

alval

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:11 PM

The rubber pads were an issue with my etx as well and that didnt have the central alignment. I made a central locater and found the pads gave enough height to tension the spring loaded lock down screws. After setting up I placed a mark on the mount base and the tripod head and line these up when putting the mount on. With a slight twist you hear the screws click into place. Its a non event quick and easy now without having to think about it. At least it looks like your pads all sit on the tripod, on the etx I have six and the outer edge of the tripod head passes through the centre of each pad , so they are half on half off, could never figure why. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics