•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX600 16" Motor Malfunction/Handbox Dies-Chapter Two

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jmdonohue

jmdonohue

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Iron River, Michigan

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:15 PM

Shoutout for next step Suggestions:

Over my last 2 observing sessions ( totaling ~8 hours) my scope has experianced several different malfunctions. Now AutoStar 2 ( 1.1H ) does not start up on power on. On power on autostars screen is blank. Just a dim red glow (indicating power) but no script. No welcome to AutoStar, or "0 for align or mode for menu" message. Additionally the handbox arrow keys to not activate the Dec or Ra motors. The handbox is a dead terminal at this point. Front panel Power light IS illuminated. This scope failure started like this:

Observing session #1 two weeks ago Dec motor, out of the blue, followed by Ra motor started running on there own, I powered off to initiate a stop. When powered on again all scope functions were normal for 5- 10 minutes. During that 5-10 minutes the handbox functioned and I had access to autostar menu screens. Then  both motors malfuctioned , 1st Dec then Ra with self intiating at full speed ( Dec downward/Ra counterclockwise). I shouted out for help. Meade support felt dual motor malfunction was odd and thought faulty power supply likely. I replaced power supply ( and new handbox and cable) and all seemed fixed.

Session # 2 last night ( clear skies, 1st in 2 weeks) Scope started up normally. I reset, autoaligned,erased Ra & Dec Pec for fear of corruption.

Trained Pec and performed several flawless goto's, observed for several hours until drive motors malfunctioned again.

I changed to a new power suppy,new handbox, new cables, secured all connections even under main control panel. After powering on again all functions seemed normal. Per "Cloudy Nights" (after session #1 malfunction) I turned off Starlock. I realigned and several goto"s executed perfectly..Then on next goto handbox indicated " not Aligned" a new message for me. I performed another autoalignment, scope again functioned normally. The loss of alignment, out of the blue, concerned me. So I parked the scope and powered down normally. When powering on again the scope is dead , non responsive. Just dim red glow on hand controller. 

Any thoughts on the source of this type of scope failure? Any suggestionson on returning LX600 to normal function?

Thanks for reading this farconfused1.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics