As the topic states i am looking to modify an EQ5 that i have been using for a while to see what i can get out of it. I have an EQ6-R on order as a replacement mount so i don't mind how this goes, obviously like it to be successful but if something goes wrong its not the end of the world. I'm not an engineer so i could be off in my thoughts which is why I'm here.
Basically i was looking to service the EQ5 so that i had a good reliable portable mount for astrophotography but after tearing it down a lot of the internals are less than to be desired.
Basically seeking a bit of advice or an open discussion about how to proceed in making this mount perform a bit better as a learning experience and to get some solid information together for others that may want to do the same.
In breaking down the mount the way things are shimmed and the lack of the correct bearings are my main concerns. Other than the standard de-burring, polishing and re-greasing i am trying to workout what i could do to make the mount perform:
RA Axis - bearings that handle the axial and radial loads
- The standard bearing that is in there is not really fit for purpose. I am looking at machining out a small amount of the housing or machining up a housing that can press into place and fitting a tapered roller being on the upper end of the shaft.
- On the lower end of the shaft doing away with the thrust bearing (which is OK but could be done better) and also fitting a tapered roller bearing into place. I would look at machining out the housing to fit a larger bearing then machine up a replacement retainer that currently secures the shaft compresses the thrust bearing, I would machine up a part with the inner outer threads and also a collar so that the bearing could be pressed on that.
- Machining out and fitting a tapered roller bearing the end of the Declination housing.
- I cant really see of any way to fit a bearing into the worm gear side of the declination shaft I'm hoping that the above will still provide a noticeable improvement.
- Both ends of the worm drives currently have bearings on them (i think the older eq5s didn't) but this seems like its all OK so i was going to just replace with a quality bearing de-burr re grease and reassemble.
Any opinions or advice is appreciated or other items to highlight that i can look into making the mount perform better is great too.