•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PG&E is shutting down the Bay Area tonight.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Cali

Cali

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bay Area

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:03 PM

The utility company Pacific Gas and Electric is shutting off the electricity in the Bay Area (Northern California), north past Napa, east past Sacramento, south including parts of San Jose and down to Santa Cruz.  (Map here).  Parts could be shut down for days. All of this is being done in the name of fire prevention. This should be both a unique and interesting experience as I will be in the backyard with every piece of glass I own in anticipation of somewhat darker skies. Anyone else living in this area?

- Cal

Edited by Cali, 09 October 2019 - 08:32 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, happylimpet, outofsight and 2 others like this

#2 RyanSem

RyanSem

Viking 1

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:11 PM

Heard about this earlier, wondering what kind of difference it's going to make. Doesn't look like city centers are going to go black. 

• Jon Isaacs and Cali like this

#3 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Viking 1

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:35 PM

Would be my luck it would be cloudy

#4 MikeTahtib

MikeTahtib

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:43 PM

Keep us posted!

#5 Cali

Cali

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:45 PM

Astrospheric sez I get clear skies for the remainder of the week.

- Cal

Edited by Cali, 09 October 2019 - 08:46 PM.

• Tyson M and Barlowbill like this

#6 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:57 PM

The utility company Pacific Gas and Electric is shutting off the electricity in the Bay Area (Northern California), north past Napa, east past Sacramento, south including parts of San Jose and down to Santa Cruz.  (Map here).  Parts could be shut down for days. All of this is being done in the name of fire prevention. This should be both a unique and interesting experience as I will be in the backyard with every piece of glass I own in anticipation of somewhat darker skies. Anyone else living in this area?

- Cal

I guess you'll be up at 3am then,

otherwise they're will be that really bright 25arcminute Earth satellite reflecting lots of bright sunlight.........

• Jon Isaacs, dswtan, Stephen Kennedy and 3 others like this

#7 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:03 PM

This means drinking warm beer or drinking it all before it has the chance.....

• Perplexed likes this

#8 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:53 PM

I guess you'll be up at 3am then,

otherwise they're will be that really bright 25arcminute Earth satellite reflecting lots of bright sunlight.........

Don't ya just hate them pesky details!

#9 iwannabswiss

iwannabswiss

Viking 1

• Loc: Charleston SC

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:58 PM

Keep us posted!

He can't, he won't have power. lol.gif

• BFaucett likes this

#10 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:35 AM

- Cal

SDG&E has done this recently but only for small remote areas.  It happened to our little community of Boulevard but for some reason, they didn't shut our circuit down.  It was suggested that this was because both the local fire station and the sheriff's department are on this same circuit.

These shut downs are really responses to these large public utilities having been held accountable when their poorly maintained power lines have been the cause of major fires.  

Jon

#11 dmgriff

dmgriff

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 30 degrees latitude, USA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:52 AM

I thougjht Pacific Gas & Electric was a west coast rock band in the 60s...smile.gif

• Dave Mitsky, Jon Isaacs, Etrsi_645 and 3 others like this

#12 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:43 AM

It was planned long ago...its an alien conspiracy...why else would Thursday Night Football be Giants/Patriots?   Note: a reporter should check to see if the helmets have a foil lining.....I've definitely seen players practicing Naruto running.

• happylimpet likes this

#13 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:00 AM

Yeah, when Hurricane Sandy knocked out the power around here, it was cloudy for the ensuing 3 or 4 nights.  The night before the power came back on was clear, but some neighborhoods around me must have already had power, because the light pollution was already back.  mad.gif  I did see the Veil Nebula for the first time that night, though, so, that was good. smile.gif

• happylimpet and Chris Y like this

#14 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Piccolomini Observatory

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:37 AM

Lights are on in North Marn!
  • csa/montana likes this

#15 redhawk

redhawk

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:43 PM

No wind at all in Placerville, but the moon is only a day or two from full.    Cliff

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#16 Cali

Cali

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:10 AM

Heard about this earlier, wondering what kind of difference it's going to make. Doesn't look like city centers are going to go black. 

I'm in the Easy Bay and I've noticed that the skies are somewhat darker and there is a near absence of the "light dome" affect around the horizon.

I'll take it.

- Cal

#17 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:16 AM

I thougjht Pacific Gas & Electric was a west coast rock band in the 60s...smile.gif

https://www.bing.com...09707&FORM=VIRE

• dmgriff likes this

#18 vsteblina

vsteblina

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:36 PM

I think they were the 70's......but still bad.

Thanks Cali for a actual observation.

Edited by vsteblina, 11 October 2019 - 05:38 PM.

• Cali likes this

#19 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

Posted 12 October 2019 - 11:47 AM

We have a rare opportunity here....CA should take over the electrical grid and production, convert the positions to state employees.  This would allow CA to reduce electric bills, and step up conversion to renewable energy...could be an example of how it should be done....they couldn't do worse then the current situation.  PG&E has already shown incompetence and are now a danger to public safety.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#20 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 12 October 2019 - 07:26 PM

We have a rare opportunity here....CA should take over the electrical grid and production, convert the positions to state employees.  This would allow CA to reduce electric bills, and step up conversion to renewable energy...could be an example of how it should be done....they couldn't do worse then the current situation.  PG&E has already shown incompetence and are now a danger to public safety.

The power shutdowns are to reduce possible ignition sources (forest fire prevention) due to the forecast of high winds and dry conditions.

Fighting fires in high winds is an impossible task.

Because of inaction on many fronts to prevent dangerous fire conditions over years (failure to control growth, disregard of reducing fuels though controlled burns, mishandling of water resources) and the like have greatly contributed to the situation.

Trying to oversimplify the complexities involved doesn't help proper analysis.

No where in the country are high voltage powerlines, even the best maintained, not a risk for fires, especially with high winds and close trees and uncontrolled accumulation of fuels to sustained forest fires, and of course dry conditions......

As far as renewable energy,  grid controllers often have to notify solar farms to switch off because the grid can't handle the excess power contribution,

partially due to the inability to connect the grid infrastructure with neighboring states that could utilize it better in a larger system.

It's an easy google to understand why.......

And all the above is without mentioning politics at all,

just describing the situation better in case some want to research more deeply than some opinion piece in the local paper........

• payner and WoodyEnd like this

#21 WoodyEnd

WoodyEnd

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 12 October 2019 - 07:44 PM

Oh yes they could! The state is utterly incompetent at managing the forests and have allowed the brush and dead trees to get totally out of control which has led to the forest fire problem.  The state passed a law that makes utility companies liable even when they are not at fault.  If you think the current situation is bad just let a bunch of state employees run things.  Power bills (and taxes) would skyrocket as the corrupt and incompetent state ran things.

The state can't even build a train from nowhere to nowhere.  Cost overruns, unpaid bills and other problems are a result of their deliberately ignoring high speed train experts because they "could do it better".  Giving them control of one of the largest power generation and distribution systems in the country would be a disaster.

Edited by WoodyEnd, 12 October 2019 - 08:20 PM.

• Jeff Morgan and BFaucett like this

#22 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 12 October 2019 - 11:17 PM

Folks, let's not drift into politics please!

• Jon Isaacs, BFaucett and Cali like this

#23 wargrafix

wargrafix

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:37 AM

Annnddd...its bright moon time

#24 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:22 PM

If PG&E shuts down run, do not walk, to Mt. Tam

• Cali likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics