•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

1988 Meade 2080 LX-5 dec and latitude motors...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PrimoDude

PrimoDude

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Marshalltown, Iowa

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:58 PM

I just bought and received this Meade 2080 LX-5 and a small (maybe) problem in the set up routines.  I applied power this morning to check out the Dec motor and other drive motors and I get no response from the Latitude ?? right/left  or E & West buttons on the remote handset.. I feel there is no power to the motor or...the motor has died.  Where do I find this motor in the base of the fork?? And repair suggestions if any and pointers on where to look.   My thoughts tonight are to pull the front cover and see if any loose wiring has occurred in shipment.  The prior owner said in e.mail that it was working when he tested it a few weeks ago..  Thanks.

PS.. its a very clean and nice unit..

• Skywatchr likes this

#2 Daveatvt01

Daveatvt01

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, Az

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:24 AM

Are you sure the motor isn’t running? The LX5 RA motor is very quiet and if you aren’t looking at the stars the scope doesn’t move noticeably with the hand controller or without. Try pointing it straight up and leaving it for an hour or two to see if it moves. 

• Skywatchr and PrimoDude like this

#3 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:14 AM

I just bought and received this Meade 2080 LX-5 and a small (maybe) problem in the set up routines.  I applied power this morning to check out the Dec motor and other drive motors and I get no response from the Latitude ?? right/left  or E & West buttons on the remote handset.. I feel there is no power to the motor or...the motor has died.  Where do I find this motor in the base of the fork?? And repair suggestions if any and pointers on where to look.   My thoughts tonight are to pull the front cover and see if any loose wiring has occurred in shipment.  The prior owner said in e.mail that it was working when he tested it a few weeks ago..  Thanks.

PS.. its a very clean and nice unit..

The LX5 is not a Go-To telescope. The motors will not slew fast at all. It is intended for making guiding corrections when taking astro photos, or for centering objects visually already in the field of view.  The RA (Right Ascension) motor is very quiet but you should be able to hear it in a quiet room with your ear close to the base. Take it outside and point it to a bright object. In daylight look for a reflection a ways away. Center it in the eyepiece, preferably a high power one, or better yet a cross hair eyepiece. Then with it powered on, look through the eyepiece. You should see very slow movement to the right (objects appear to go left). Then press the West button, the movement should increase a little. The East button just stops the motor for the object to "catch up".

• PrimoDude likes this

#4 PrimoDude

PrimoDude

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:12 PM

Thank you so much Gentlemen and I do mean gentlemen.. This answers my question sufficiently.  Getting me feet wet for the first time in astrology.  Mystery to me is just where is this motor that drives this scope??  It has two speeds... I love the scope for its simplicity.  Thanks again and God Bless you all, like it or not. :-)

#5 Daveatvt01

Daveatvt01

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:54 PM

There is a metal cover on the bottom of the base. If you remove the 4 screws you have access to the RA motor and worm. Mine did not have a dec motor but I believe they were an external motor that attached to the dec knob on the fork

#6 PrimoDude

PrimoDude

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:00 PM

Thank you sir.... I will look when or if I pull the scope off the tilt base.... Yes, mine has the DEC motorized and it works fine. This Meade 2080 F5 is an amazing scope for us beginners..  MARS here I come.. :-)

#7 PrimoDude

PrimoDude

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:36 PM

Problem has been solved  .. there was NO problem to begin with... My problem was with my Cochlear ear implant and my implant batteries were on the low end.  New batteries there and I can hear the motor fine.  Also did the E and W Tracking with power on and it tracks both ways nicely.. Thanks for all the assistance.

Its a learning process me thinks... Cheers.... 

Edited by PrimoDude, 11 October 2019 - 07:36 PM.

• Skywatchr likes this

#8 Daveatvt01

Daveatvt01

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:51 PM

Glad it’s working!

#9 PrimoDude

PrimoDude

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 01:42 PM

Glad it’s working!

me too.. thanks.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics