•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astromania Guidescope Mount

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: just outside of Toronto

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:14 PM

Anybody use one of these? https://www.amazon.c...0676942&sr=8-14

I'm wondering if it would be a worthwhile upgrade to the guidescope rings I have that are hard to setup in the dark.

#2 Chris Y

Chris Y

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bortle 7 - Wichita, Kansas, USA

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:26 PM

Anybody use one of these? https://www.amazon.c...0676942&sr=8-14

I'm wondering if it would be a worthwhile upgrade to the guidescope rings I have that are hard to setup in the dark.

$270 is a mighty hefty price tag.

Is this a guidescope for astrophotography, or simply a finder scope?  If it's for AP, then the price might justify the end means.

#3 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:40 PM

$270 is a mighty hefty price tag.

Is this a guidescope for astrophotography, or simply a finder scope?  If it's for AP, then the price might justify the end means.

It's for AP.
  • Chris Y likes this

#4 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

• Loc: USA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:16 AM

FYI:

For CN users in the USA,  its $169.99 USD on the USA Amazon site.

• Chris Y likes this

#5 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:10 PM

I got an answer from Astromania and the recommend loads of less than 1.5kg. Not enough for my use :(

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
  • Xeroid likes this

#6 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 12 October 2019 - 01:29 AM

This looks like the opposite of a good guidescope mount. It has basically a single point of contact, making differential flexure very likely. You want at least two, preferably three points of contact with the guidescope. 

And if one was going to spend that much money on a guidescope mount, they'd be much better off springing for an OAG.

• OldManSky likes this

#7 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 11:55 PM

This looks like the opposite of a good guidescope mount. It has basically a single point of contact, making differential flexure very likely. You want at least two, preferably three points of contact with the guidescope. 

And if one was going to spend that much money on a guidescope mount, they'd be much better off springing for an OAG.

I was hoping for something easier to setup that the dual rings I've got now, but it seems like I'd have to spend way more money than it would be worth.

All of this will be moot point if I get to build a backyard observatory again, which is in the plans for next summer.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics