•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skywatcher 150 Mak vs. Celestron 150 OTA

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mr_snout

mr_snout

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Antonio Texas

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:04 PM

I am having to replace my original Nexstar Evo OTA. This might be more if a question of, "What would you do?" rather than a pure comparison of performance. I understand the differences based on reviews, though any feedback would be appreciated.

The Celestron OTA is $399 at Highpoint vs. the Mak at $650 on Amazon. The same Celestron on Amazon is $100 more for some reason. Should I:

1. Just bite the bullet and replace the Celestron.... Pay $399 upfront?
2. I can open a line of credit through HP or whatever their service is- just pay $100 a month.
3. Get the Mak to try something new. It also has a 2 inch diagonal, which would be interesting. I could use Amazon points and this would cost me nothing.
4. I can pay something like $35 a month for 18 months interest free through Amazon and save points for something else..., Like maybe the Evo 9.25 in a year or so.

Edited by mr_snout, 09 October 2019 - 11:07 PM.

• Wildetelescope likes this

#2 Gary Z

Gary Z

Apollo

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:28 PM

The SCT does provide you a wider field of view than the MAK, but the viewing thru the Mak will be much sharper.  

Gary

• mr_snout likes this

#3 mr_snout

mr_snout

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:50 PM

The SCT does provide you a wider field of view than the MAK, but the viewing thru the Mak will be much sharper.

Gary

I am leaning toward the Mak for different equipment and for the better financing options...

#4 kim.davis

kim.davis

Explorer 1

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:38 AM

If you don't mind a different color scheme (but identical to Sw and orion mak), meade 6 mak could be another option.

https://www.highpoin...assembly-270023

I own it for a couple of months. It gives very pleasing views, very sharp and contrasty.
  • mr_snout and Cali like this

#5 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:19 PM

I am leaning toward the Mak for different equipment and for the better financing options...

What do you observe? I enjoy maks. Love the contrast they give. Longer focal length might limit you with the largest DSOs. But I used my older 6inch Orion with a 35 mm panopticon with only a minute amount of vignetting. The newer versions wit standard 2inch diagonal may have fixed that.

Jmd

#6 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:19 PM

What do you observe? I enjoy maks. Love the contrast they give. Longer focal length might limit you with the largest DSOs. But I used my older 6inch Orion with a 35 mm panopticon with only a minute amount of vignetting. The newer versions wit standard 2inch diagonal may have fixed that.

Jmd

#7 Auburn80

Auburn80

Viking 1

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:31 PM

If you don't mind a different color scheme (but identical to Sw and orion mak), meade 6 mak could be another option.

https://www.highpoin...assembly-270023

I own it for a couple of months. It gives very pleasing views, very sharp and contrasty.

Hmmm. The link states they're discontinued and out of stock.

#8 mr_snout

mr_snout

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:36 PM

Jmd

I also have an old Meade 8 inch SCT. I would use this as a grab and go scope mainly for use in fairly light polluted skies- most DSOs won't be much of an option.

#9 kim.davis

kim.davis

Explorer 1

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:11 PM

Hmmm. The link states they're discontinued and out of stock.

Really? Sorry. It looks like mobile version website doesnt tell whether it's out of stock. 

#10 Auburn80

Auburn80

Viking 1

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:22 PM

Really? Sorry. It looks like mobile version website doesnt tell whether it's out of stock.

I'm on mobile; Android. Its stated in the Description tab.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics