•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone try the ZWO EAF hand controller?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 joelin

joelin

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Saratoga, CA

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:44 PM

I installed my ZWO EAF and it works fine with my ASIAir connected to it.

However, when I plug the hand controller into the temperature compensation port on the EAF and keep the 12V DC plugged in, I can't control the EAF with the hand controller.

I get no response. 

Am I missing something? Does the hand controller require batteries inside its sealed shell?

#2 chongo228

chongo228

Ranger 4

• Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:59 AM

No batteries inside. I have to press the buttons on mine several times to get any movement. I use my laptop to control it which has worked perfectly so playing with hand controller hasn’t been at the top of my list. I did email ZWO to exchange it and they asked me to update the firmware in the focuser first..... which I have not done yet. If it doesn’t work I’m just going to make one myself.

You can get the firmware and program to talk to your ZWO device off their website. Let me know if it works.
  • johnd39818 likes this

#3 johnd39818

johnd39818

Mariner 2

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:21 PM

The angled end connects to controller.

#4 johnd39818

johnd39818

Mariner 2

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:22 PM

The angled end connects to controller.

#5 joelin

joelin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:26 PM

I thought the two end essentially are the same even though one is angled and the other is straight.

Anyhow I found out from High Point that a large number of these are defective.

When buying the EAF it might be a good idea to skip it

#6 Taylor

Taylor

Apollo

• Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:54 PM

Got mine from High Point. No issues so far. 

#7 joelin

joelin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:20 PM

How much does the focuser move for the fast and slow modes? Are they configurable?

#8 lakerunr

lakerunr

Lift Off

• Loc: WI

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:08 PM

I have one, and I had issues with hand controller at first, as well as issues with EAF losing position. Firmware update fixed all. However, when you update the firmware make sure that the EAF is the only USB ASCOM device connected, else firmware update fails, doesn't give an error just stops. I missed this on first update attempt, causing a bit of frustration.

Hand controller works fine now. Only issue I currently have is that SGP won't send the focuser to zero after sequence complete. I think it is because there is still a filter in place with a position set in the filter list. I may have to set my clear filter position to 0 focus position and move it into place before attempting to send focuser to zero. I am using the "Auto Adjust Focus Per Filter" option.

Also, the unit does not appear to have an absolute encoder. So if the position is changed while not connected to PC and software, it will sometimes lose position. Usually it will show the last used focus position when the unit is actually at 0. If it is truly at 0, then using the "Set to Zero" function in the ASCOM setting panel, or ASICap resolves the issue. Set to Zero button in SGP does not seem to work either.

#9 OldManSky

OldManSky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:15 PM

lakerunr -- you're correct, it doesn't have an absolute encoder.  Or a relative encoder.

It has no encoder at all...it just counts steps.  If you step it while not connected to the computer/software, the computer/software has no idea it's been moved.

#10 joelin

joelin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 01:08 PM

I have one, and I had issues with hand controller at first, as well as issues with EAF losing position. Firmware update fixed all. However, when you update the firmware make sure that the EAF is the only USB ASCOM device connected, else firmware update fails, doesn't give an error just stops. I missed this on first update attempt, causing a bit of frustration.

Hand controller works fine now. Only issue I currently have is that SGP won't send the focuser to zero after sequence complete. I think it is because there is still a filter in place with a position set in the filter list. I may have to set my clear filter position to 0 focus position and move it into place before attempting to send focuser to zero. I am using the "Auto Adjust Focus Per Filter" option.

Also, the unit does not appear to have an absolute encoder. So if the position is changed while not connected to PC and software, it will sometimes lose position. Usually it will show the last used focus position when the unit is actually at 0. If it is truly at 0, then using the "Set to Zero" function in the ASCOM setting panel, or ASICap resolves the issue. Set to Zero button in SGP does not seem to work either.

which firmware were you using? i'm using 3.1.7 per this site https://astronomy-im...oftware-drivers and the hand controller is completely dead....asiair can still controller it just fine though

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics