•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Moon 9 Oct 2019

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:44 AM

20 stacked RAW DSLR images of the moon.

It took a while to convert the RAWs to TIFFs, a format Autostakkert!3 will accept, but it was worth it as this result is far superior to any stacked jpeg moon I've done. Then it took a while for AS to analyse the anchor point which was a tad worrying because it's this stage that has failed many times for me in the past. But it went smoothly. A slight sharpening of the stacked TIFF in Registax followed.

Comments welcome!

New folder_lapl6_ap187enh90.jpg

• Wouter D'hoye, eros312, jeremiah2229 and 2 others like this

#2 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:17 PM

Lol

#3 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:49 PM

Kevin, my only editorial comment would be that the image is rather dark and so appears underexposed.  This is how all lunar images appear when exposed properly to protect highlights, but then you need to adjust the exposure in post processing to achieve the natural view.  The final image histogram is your best friend, and if you look at yours, you will see that your entire image lies well to the left of center, which makes the entire image a shadow with no midtones or highlights.  Otherwise the image looks good.  To efficiently convert RAW files to tiffs, you should look into software that can batch convert.  Photoshop does this, and you can generate tiffs from RAW files in one step in a few seconds.  

Edited by Tom Glenn, 10 October 2019 - 03:50 PM.

#4 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:07 PM

Hi Tom

I agree, it’s dim. I batch converted using Lightroom on an old pc, that’s why it took ages.
Ok, post processing needs looking at. Thanks for the tips.

#5 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:20 PM

Hi Tom

I agree, it’s dim. I batch converted using Lightroom on an old pc, that’s why it took ages.
Ok, post processing needs looking at. Thanks for the tips.

For an image like this, even something as simple as a one-step "curves" adjustment in which you grab the center of the tone curve and drag upwards slightly will do wonders to improve the result.  

#6 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:58 AM

I've been experimenting with TIFFs and having problems with Autostakkert!3 handling them. In fact I have always had the problem that AS more often than not fails at the "Buffering and Image Analysis" stage of "Analyse". The image above worked first time, but I had only brought 40 TIFFs into AS. I tried again with 120, then 100, then 80, and finally had success with 60. Any more than that and it would fail. Maybe it's because of the sheer size of the TIFF images at 100MB+ a piece?

(My laptop is a brand new 16GB RAM SSD with Intel Core i7 10th generation).

From the 60 I stacked 42 and used GIMP to adjust the brightness and contrast. Here's the result - 

081019 RAWs_lapl6_ap127 smallerer sharpened.jpg

• hendric likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics