•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Choices: 2 Delites or 1 Nagler

eyepieces
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 vineyard

vineyard

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:41 AM

Hello, I don't have sufficient expertise to be able to make this call: if you could either get a 13mm Nagler Type 6, or for more or less the same price, both a 15mm Delite and a 13mm Delite, what would you pick?  (This would be for a 4" refractor f/8.8).

Curious to hear which way folks go - cheers!

• scotsman328i likes this

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:47 AM

13T6 as there's not much (enough) separation in magnification/FOV  in the 13/15 Delites to make much of a difference.

Also, the 13T6 has more magnification and FOV then the 15mm Delite.

• Kutno, jjack's, havasman and 2 others like this

#3 Spikey131

Spikey131

Viking 1

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:49 AM

If you don’t need the long eye relief of the Delite, get the Nagler. It has all the magnification of the 13 Delite and more FOV than the 15.

I’m not sure why you would want both a 15 and 13 mm eyepiece anyway.
  • havasman likes this

#4 M11Mike

M11Mike

Viking 1

• Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:52 AM

FOV not a huge issue with a 4" F8.8 refractor.  If it's a APO - I would go with just the 13 D/L - better still a 7, 9 or 11 DeLite to get some decent magnification.  

M11Mike

• joseph07081, Neptune, CeleNoptic and 1 other like this

#5 Neptune

Neptune

Apollo

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:24 AM

I like M11Mike's thinking. If you don't have any other hi quality eyepieces, go with the 13mm (69x) and 9mm (99x), 7mm (128x) or even a 5mm (179x).   A 24mm Panoptic would be nice for low power wide field.

Additionally, I found the Delite to be just a tad sharper than the Nagler T6 in a direct head to head comparison.

Edited by Neptune, 10 October 2019 - 07:26 AM.

#6 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:26 AM

Hello, I don't have sufficient expertise to be able to make this call: if you could either get a 13mm Nagler Type 6, or for more or less the same price, both a 15mm Delite and a 13mm Delite, what would you pick?  (This would be for a 4" refractor f/8.8).

2 Delites.

• ewave and nicoledoula like this

#7 vkhastro1

vkhastro1

Apollo

• Loc: Vankleek Hill, Ontario, Canada

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:59 AM

Neither :

I definitely would go with 2 DeLites .....BUT......

There is a better $ option than the DeLites that combine the optical excellent of the DeLites with the FOV of the Nagler type 6.

BAADER MORPHEUS ...... pick 2 focal lengths of the following 14mm, 12.5, 9mm, 6.5mm - my first preference would be 12.5mm + 9mm then adding 6.5mm and 17.5 later

• CeleNoptic, eros312, jjack's and 1 other like this

#8 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:53 AM

15mm to 13mm isn't that much separation, unless you are using a 12" or larger SCT.  From my experience using the Explore Sci 14/100° and the ES 12/92°, the main difference is the presentation, not magnification. Under 8mm is when you really start to notice small jumps in magnification. 

Another option you could take would be the 14 Delos if you want to stick with TeleVue. The DeLites are basically a "Lite" version of the Delos. Basically the same optical properties in a smaller package.

The Baader Morpheus, on the other hand, is cheaper than the DeLite with the same performance [or very close to] the Delos, and the FOV is only 6° smaller than the Nagler. So it's basically got all of that in one package. And the views are good too smile.gif

• jjack's and 25585 like this

#9 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:00 AM

What other eyepieces will you use regularly with the new eyepiece?  Is weight/balance a factor?  Do you need long eye relief? Will you need a new scope to bring out the best in your new eyepiece (this is critical)?

#10 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:07 AM

A similar question would be I can get one walnut or two peanuts, which way would you go!

So basically you have not provided sufficient information for others to provide a considered opinion.

Please provide:

1 Scopes you will use the eyepieces in and how they are mounted

2 Other eyepieces you own

3 Intended objects you will primarily observe with the new eyepieces

4 Whether you need/like to wear glasses when you observe

#11 Tank

Tank

Soyuz

• Loc: Stoney Creek, Ontario, CANADA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:54 AM

I would not get either

Delos

Ethos

ES 92 over those IMHO

price were talking about the same

• rkelley8493 likes this

#12 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:58 AM

Personally, with a 4" refractor, my answer is the T6.  See this post about poor color rendition and the DeLites.  Also, as a smaller refractor owner myself (I have an 80mm F/7 ED, 102mm Mak, C102GT & WO 110 Megrez), I don't own any 1.25" eyepieces over 9 ounces to avoid balancing issues when switching between eyepieces.  I also use plossls and orthos, and I find the T6s (and the DeLites before them -- all gone now) play fine with the older, lightweight eyepieces.  Using any eyepiece over 9 ounces -- Ethos, Delos, Morpheus -- will require a re-balance if you also want to use a plossl or ortho in the diagonal.  If you prefer balancing your scope to actually looking at the stars, be my guest.  But my time's limited under God's good heavens, precious, in fact, so anything that manufactures goofiness is not permitted in my diagonal, regardless the supposed view.  Dob owners are often ignorant of this, since a simple magnetic counterweight can fix that problem, but as a refractor owner, I'd avoid magnetic counterweights, given the internal baffling they employ, and the possibility of bending something out of alignment.  It's just not worth it to me, and besides, there are fantastic eyepieces under 9 ounces.  The T6's are one of them, btw.

#13 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:17 PM

Too close, I would go 15 and 11. I have Radians and they go 18, 14, 10, 8, and 6. (I also have a 24 and 19 pan so I may sell the 18 Radian).

• BradFran likes this

#14 nicoledoula

nicoledoula

Apollo

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:59 PM

2 Delites.

#15 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:59 PM

15mm to 13mm isn't that much separation, unless you are using a 12" or larger SCT.  From my experience using the Explore Sci 14/100° and the ES 12/92°, the main difference is the presentation, not magnification. Under 8mm is when you really start to notice small jumps in magnification. 

Another option you could take would be the 14 Delos if you want to stick with TeleVue. The DeLites are basically a "Lite" version of the Delos. Basically the same optical properties in a smaller package.

The Baader Morpheus, on the other hand, is cheaper than the DeLite with the same performance [or very close to] the Delos, and the FOV is only 6° smaller than the Nagler. So it's basically got all of that in one package. And the views are good too smile.gif

Both Delites and Morpheus are easier retention exit pupil, especially wearing glasses. 

ES92s are unique in offering long eye relief and Ethos equivalent (or better) view quality combined.

Edited by 25585, 10 October 2019 - 04:04 PM.

• rkelley8493 likes this

#16 vineyard

vineyard

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:52 PM

Thanks all - v helpful: some of the Qs are those I'm pondering on already, others are things I hadn't thought through fully (the benefits of asking!).

So for the missing info, apologies.  I'm building up my rig slowly (and within a capped budget).  Scope is a TV102iis, currently just on an alt-az mount (WO EazyTouch, but the original version built by Beat Kohler at AOK) <-- so no go-to or auto-tracking capability (yet).  Most of the viewing is currently lunar, planetary & the brighter stars (lots of light pollution in the city) - but its a mobile rig, and I will be using it in darker skies eventually.  Current EPs are 4mm & 6mm Radians, a 13mm Celestron plossl and a generic Barlow.

I did my first proper view w the Radians on the moon a few nights back.  Wow - I'd never seen the moon like that!  Sharp.  The difference in power between the 4mm & the 6mm was also quite something.

I do find myself preferring some eye-relief (I prefer to take the instajust out a bit on the Radians) - I wear glasses (although I don't use them - so far - for viewing through the EPs).

The difference in quality (sharpness etc) b/w the Celestron & the TVs was palpable.  But the lower power of the plossl was helpful in making navigation quicker.  So I know I need to get a better quality longer EP (13mm or more).

Tbh I haven't been planning to spend on an EP the amount that even a used Nagler costs (capped budget).  And so I've been looking more in the price-range of Baader Hyperions.  But then when some used Delites popped up (admittedly slightly more expensive than a Hyperion!), I realised that that's equivalent to 1 Nagler cost-wise...

Maybe I should be self-disciplined and just get 1 Delite, and save the rest for a the future (like a 3.5mm Nagler lol.gif).

Anyway, there you have it.  Will look a bit more at the Morpheus & the colour rendition link on the Delites.

Cheers again!

(PS - Edited addition: the other thing crossing my mind is that eventually I may want to try putting bino-viewers on this scope to get full immersion, and so maybe having Delites is better for that budget-wise!)

(PPS - another edit (so much great feedback): yes the re-balancing is something I'd rather avoid - switching between the 13mm plossl to the Radians was enough to whack the balance, and needed re-nudging and/or tightening of the clutch.  With no encoders, I'd prefer to not have to do that too often in a night!)

Edited by vineyard, 10 October 2019 - 05:59 PM.

• CollinofAlabama likes this

#17 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Soyuz

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:53 PM

Of your two choices, certainly the 13 Nagler as long as you don’t need to observe with glasses. The optics in the Delite are perfection, but in your 4” refractor the large field of view of the Nagler will be far more engaging and I would base my choice on that.

If you could stretch to a 13 Ethos though, perhaps a used one, that’s a lifetime eyepiece to build an entire set around.

• payner, Kutno and vineyard like this

#18 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:00 PM

Thanks all - v helpful: some of the Qs are those I'm pondering on already, others are things I hadn't thought through fully (the benefits of asking!).

So for the missing info, apologies.  I'm building up my rig slowly (and within a capped budget).  Scope is a TV102iis, currently just on an alt-az mount (WO EazyTouch, but the original version built by Beat Kohler at AOK) <-- so no go-to or auto-tracking capability (yet).  Most of the viewing is currently lunar, planetary & the brighter stars (lots of light pollution in the city) - but its a mobile rig, and I will be using it in darker skies eventually.  Current EPs are 4mm & 6mm Radians, a 13mm Celestron plossl and a generic Barlow.

I did my first proper view w the Radians on the moon a few nights back.  Wow - I'd never seen the moon like that!  Sharp.  The difference in power between the 4mm & the 6mm was also quite something.

I do find myself preferring some eye-relief (I prefer to take the instajust out a bit on the Radians) - I wear glasses (although I don't use them - so far - for viewing through the EPs).

The difference in quality (sharpness etc) b/w the Celestron & the TVs was palpable.  But the lower power of the plossl was helpful in making navigation quicker.  So I know I need to get a better quality longer EP (13mm or more).

Tbh I haven't been planning to spend on an EP the amount that even a used Nagler costs (capped budget).  And so I've been looking more in the price-range of Baader Hyperions.  But then when some used Delites popped up (admittedly slightly more expensive than a Hyperion!), I realised that that's equivalent to 1 Nagler cost-wise...

Maybe I should be self-disciplined and just get 1 Delite, and save the rest for a the future (like a 3.5mm Nagler lol.gif).

Anyway, there you have it.  Will look a bit more at the Morpheus & the colour rendition link on the Delites.

Cheers again!

(PS - Edited addition: the other thing crossing my mind is that eventually I may want to try putting bino-viewers on this scope to get full immersion, and so maybe having Delites is better for that budget-wise!)

(PPS - another edit (so much great feedback): yes the re-balancing is something I'd rather avoid - switching between the 13mm plossl to the Radians was enough to whack the balance, and needed re-nudging and/or tightening of the clutch.  With no encoders, I'd prefer to not have to do that too often in a night!)

I have 13 mm delite.  It works fine in my tv102.   Same clarity and color rendition as my Delos eps.  Just smaller fov.  My 7mm Nagler has a yellow tint by comparison.  Frankly all the eps discussed are great.  Hard to go wrong.  

Jmd 

• vineyard likes this

#19 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Viking 1

• Loc: Charleston, South Carolina

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:09 AM

Ever looked into the Nagler 16T5? Amazing eyepiece.

• CollinofAlabama and Kutno like this

#20 hakann

hakann

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:33 AM

Why not try a Nikon HW at 14 mm ? ( you get a 10 included and its a 102 degree EP if you like that.

Ex the 17 mm is a true killer EP, most like allot in most scopes.
Imports from Japan are easy, fast and reliable.
I has the Nikons and rest of the Ethos, but now I has order a 7 mm Delite from Don Pensack, but that is for get a 1.75 mm pupil and faint galaxy’s observing ( 18” f/4 )
I has not used a Delite EP yet so it will be fun use one now.
I hardly believe it can match up the Nikon HW 14 mm ( or a Ethos 13 mm ) no matter how crisp they might be.
If you don’t like rotate the eye, get a Delos at 72 degree, as good contrast, a hair better ‘maybe’ than the Ethos and Nikon.
From what I heard the Delites should be real crisp, but I’m not into get something over 9 mm in that series for my type of observings.

• nicoledoula likes this

#21 vineyard

vineyard

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:14 PM

Hello all, thanks for all the feedback.  I went with the 2 Delites in the end: figuring that two little birds in hand is worth one big one in the bush!  If I ever get the chance to look through a Nagler and get blown away by it, then I can decide at that time which Delite to swap out or not smile.gif

Now just waiting for the clouds to go...

Cheers

• scotsman328i, 25585 and nicoledoula like this

#22 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Viking 1

• Loc: Charleston, South Carolina

Posted 14 October 2019 - 03:12 PM

Hello all, thanks for all the feedback.  I went with the 2 Delites in the end: figuring that two little birds in hand is worth one big one in the bush!  If I ever get the chance to look through a Nagler and get blown away by it, then I can decide at that time which Delite to swap out or not smile.gif

Cheers

Vineyard...excellent decision...you can’t go wrong with either decision you made really. All the eyepieces in question are premium eyepieces delivering premium views of the heavens. Clear Skies!

• vineyard likes this

#23 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:25 PM

What Delites did you buy?

#24 vineyard

vineyard

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:09 PM

What Delites did you buy?

13mm & 15mm - just waiting for clear skies (at night or day even...) to take them for a spin!

• scotsman328i and 25585 like this

#25 nicoledoula

nicoledoula

Apollo

Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:46 PM

Cheers

Just make sure you have that 13mm Delite with you when you get the chance to look through a 13mm T6 so you can compare. No need to clean eye goo off of Delites......

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eyepieces

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics