•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

StarSense mounted on a rotating focuser - is this a problem?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wrvond

wrvond

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: West Virginia

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:53 AM

The Vixen shoe on my SW 120ED is mounted on the Feather Touch focuser. The focuser rotates. If StarSense is aligned then the focuser rotated, does this invalidate the alignment of StarSense?

It seems to me that since the camera stays the same distance from the center of the OTA, it should work fine, but I'm not completely sure.

IMG 2220

Edited by wrvond, 10 October 2019 - 06:53 AM.

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:05 AM

Don't have one but I assume No.

The presumption is Starsense performs the alignment then in effect turns itself off and takes no further part until the next time you request the alignment.

Half the thought is that if you slew across the sky the stars are different and Starsense doesn't run through the alignment again on a different set of stars.

So I assume it is: Do the alignment, get data, go to sleep.

Just do not rotate the focuser while it is doing whatever it does.

• wrvond likes this

#3 dcollier

dcollier

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:28 AM

You would want to return the focuser to the same position as before before your next alignment session.  The Calibration (Offset parallax of the camera from the scope is stored on the camera chip) so use some tape or something like that to  mark the position. 

-Dave 

• wrvond likes this

#4 wrvond

wrvond

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: West Virginia

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:47 AM

I had completely forgotten that it turns itself off.

Indexing the position is a great idea. I currently just eyeball everything which is far from precise!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics