•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AT72EDII vs TSAPO72F6

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 blemasle

blemasle

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:54 AM

Hi,

Are there any real difference between a AT72EDII and a TSAPO72F6 ?
They are supposed to be same according to many resources online, including here on CN.

But then, I found this link : https://www.landseas...try-test-r.html
Based on the visual, I'm pretty convinced that the AT72EDII match the "Deluxe CNC" version whereas the TSAPO72F6 is the "Standard" version.
The difference stated in that last link description aren't meaningfull to be, as both focuser appears to be identical (and both models have the standoff on the pictures).

Those rebranded scopes are tough to differentiate for a newbie like myself. It's hard to know if you're making the right assumptions frown.gif

Regards,
Bertrand

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:21 AM

With a rebrand you can often find you need to identify the source. That can be fun.

Different brands will offer different add-ons and accessories - one or two eyepieces, 2 Kellners/1 plossl, assorted finders.

What I am curious about is there any QA at the manufacturer and how, or if, they classify the scopes/lens.

Thinking here that if the scopes/lens are graded A, B, C.

Then what does the one you buy come from in that grading?

Testing the optics likely is a 2 second operation these days, so I expect something is performed.

Does AT perform any acceptance test when the scopes/lens appear ?

I say AT as I would be reasonably sure that TS do not, whereas AT might - only might however.

#3 Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson

Mariner 2

• Loc: Stockholm, NJ

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:24 PM

Both the TS and Altair specify 1 element fpl53 glass. Astro Tech does not specify the glass in their scope.

#4 frebie

frebie

Chief assistant to the assistant chief

• -----
  • Administrators
  • Loc: Neither here nor there.

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:03 PM

The AT-72EDII uses an FPL-53 element, as described in the product title and description on the Astronomics website. The earlier and discontinued AT72ED used FPL-51, but was upgraded to 53 in the current 72EDII, along with other mechanical improvements.

• mrsjeff likes this

#5 K.K

K.K

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:44 PM

AT72EDII's focuser looks the same as the TSAPO72F6. Just the color is different.
Altair's "Deluxe CNC" version seems to be able to rotate the focuser. The "Standard" version is not possible. However, it can be rotated at the end of the draw tube.

#6 blemasle

blemasle

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:28 AM

AT72EDII's focuser looks the same as the TSAPO72F6. Just the color is different.
Altair's "Deluxe CNC" version seems to be able to rotate the focuser. The "Standard" version is not possible. However, it can be rotated at the end of the draw tube.

I got carried away by the black color of the back of the tube, thinking the black part of the AT72 matched the black part of the Altair CNC version.
That was totally wrong!

So all three tubes seems to be identical, and the Altair CNC version is one step higher. The good news is, the CNC version comes with an optical report which means every scope is tested.
Strangely, even the Standard version does not match the Altair price point. So there must be another difference somewhere...

The TS optics feel cheaper than the Astro-Tech / Altair though. In part because of the tiny screws they used. Plus, it seems to be "missing" a part at the back (the red one on other tubes).
I honestly don't know what this is cause I never used a scope before, only DSLR lenses smile.gif

#7 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:03 PM

All things being equal, I'd buy a scope from Astronomics, the generous sponsor of CloudyNights...  Support the community.

• Tyson M and mrsjeff like this

#8 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:13 PM

The AT72EDII gets amazing reviews.  Seems to be a great grab and go scope fitting on the smallest phototripods.  

#9 blemasle

blemasle

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 12:38 PM

All things being equal, I'd buy a scope from Astronomics, the generous sponsor of CloudyNights...  Support the community.

That would be a good reason to buy this one indeed. I was originally looking for a retailer in europe to avoid moving the scope all around the world though smile.gif
I can't find the flattener that is supposed to go with that scope on the astronomics website. Should I really find the dedicated one or can I grab any flattener designed for roughly he same APOS (size/apeture) ?

#10 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:15 PM

That would be a good reason to buy this one indeed. I was originally looking for a retailer in europe to avoid moving the scope all around the world though smile.gif
I can't find the flattener that is supposed to go with that scope on the astronomics website. Should I really find the dedicated one or can I grab any flattener designed for roughly he same APOS (size/apeture) ?

That makes perfect sense.

Jaimo!

#11 blemasle

blemasle

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:31 PM

That makes perfect sense.

Jaimo!

Could you help me regarding the choice of a flattener. I sometimes see that some manufacturer make dedicated flatteners, which are  supposed to be an "optical match" for the scope they're designed to.

Is that just marketing **** or is it the preferred way to go ?

#12 Anhydrite

Anhydrite

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 October 2019 - 11:37 PM

The TS scope looks like the William Optics Z73.

#13 blemasle

blemasle

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:57 AM

The TS scope looks like the William Optics Z73.

It just looks like it, but I doubt there are the same.
The TS / Astro Tech weight 2.18kg, whereas the Z73 weights 2.50kg, even 2.83 for the Z73 II (all with rings and dovetail).

#14 Anhydrite

Anhydrite

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:22 AM

It just looks like it, but I doubt there are the same.
The TS / Astro Tech weight 2.18kg, whereas the Z73 weights 2.50kg, even 2.83 for the Z73 II (all with rings and dovetail).

Good point.  Probably not the same.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics