•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CA power outages - dark sky opportunity?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TX4812

TX4812

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Houston, TX

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:05 AM

Anyone in CA planning to take advantage of the power outages to do some observing?

Actually it might be a great opportunity to share the beauty of the dark sky with neighbors.  They won't have much else to do!

• Augustus and Astroman007 like this

#2 George Bailey

George Bailey

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:32 AM

Nah - they will be too busy putting gas in their generators to look up.

• happylimpet and Augustus like this

#3 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:02 AM

Nope, even if I lived there I wouldn't leave the house....all the crazies will be out, no stop lights, no power for gas stations, zombie apocalypse,  etc...

#4 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:24 AM

Full moon is near
  • Augustus likes this

#5 Arcticpaddler

Arcticpaddler

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Minnesota, USA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:28 PM

Nope, even if I lived there I wouldn't leave the house....all the crazies will be out, no stop lights, no power for gas stations, zombie apocalypse,  etc...

LOL!  I'm glad it's not that way around here---dark, remote, and nobody around for miles...

#6 Stardust Dave

Stardust Dave

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 39*N 122*.40' W

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:05 PM

"Anyone in CA planning to take advantage of the power outages to do some observing?"

"Nah - they will be too busy putting gas in their generators to look up"

Good thing we didn't have much food in either fridge or freezer. Wasn't needed to run one (generator) - my stuff stayed frozen.smile.gif

.Just those two AM's I went out once the moon was out of the way.  I did not set up a telescope.

As we were one of the many counties affected ,I did only general naked eye sky observations of constellations and how low to horizon I could see stars to the W N and E.

Was beautiful and lightless out . Was almost worth the 2 days of flashlights and candles without power.

Did comparisons (based on impressions from notes) to my neighborhood sky with & with out porch and streetlights with & without my lightproof shelter.

Actually less local LP influence than I expected. 

Edited by Stardust Dave, 11 October 2019 - 03:11 PM.

• Astroman007 likes this

#7 barbarosa

barbarosa

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:36 PM

Sadly because the lights were not out in most of the areas immediately adjacent to the SF Bay and nor in some suburbs, and when you added in the moon light it wasn't worth even taking out binoculars while our town was "dark". By dark I mean that you might have needed a flashlight to read Sky and Telescope by moonlight.

What it was, was a PITA caused by shortsighted, some might say corrupt PGE management aided and abetted by a similar generation of state officials. What a relief to have the governor and other politicians speak up as if this was a surprise to them and promise that something will be done eventually.

That said I could go for one night now and again if the whole Bay Area went dark during the dark of the moon. It would be good for the country and the world if we had national dark sky nights.

By the way I have it on good authority that 9 out of 10 zombies actually prefer to be out in the daytime wearing stylish sun glasses.

• BradFran and Astroman007 like this

#8 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 October 2019 - 09:43 AM

Anyone in CA planning to take advantage of the power outages to do some observing?

I've done that in the past, and would do it again.

Only difference: I live under dark skies. If the power goes out at night, it's dark in the house. Can't read or do anything else that I normally would do. If it's clear, I'm out!

#9 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 12 October 2019 - 09:48 AM

Folks, while this forum allows some political discussion about legislation, etc. regarding LP; please do not expand any discussion about politics!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics