•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium direct ASCOM Support Testers wanted

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#51 gionk

gionk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 November 2019 - 12:41 AM

Gion,
Your plugin has worked almost flawlessly with my AVX thru either CPWI or the Celestron Scope Control without any fuss right out of the box.
The only issue I've run across is Stellarium initializing then closing/crashing if the check box for the "start at startup" box of the scope control plugin is checked already without a scope connected first. Then I have to change the configure.ini line for scope control from "true" to "false" and then restart if I want to play around without a scope. Very minor.

Again, many kudos and praise your way for your direct ASCOM support plugin!!!!
Made things way simpler.

cheers!

Hi there! Great finding! I'll make sure I can adress this.

#52 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rancho Palos Verdes. CA

Posted 04 November 2019 - 12:07 PM

I have an install problem.

I tried this weekend to install on Windows Enterprise (so-called down version used in the Eagle 3S).

A system window opens mid install and says "install failed, checking..." or something like that.

Any ideas?  Is there a lib I am missing or something like that?  My main camera is awaiting a spacer, so I have a little bit more time to "play".

#53 gionk

gionk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:17 PM

I have no clue what could have gone wrong during the installation on your Eagle. Were you running Stellarium on it before without issues? It could be that my build lacks some sort of certificate... Not sure about that. I'd check the windows event logs to see if you can find anything there.

#54 mikenoname

mikenoname

Apollo

• Loc: Death Valley Region (Bortle 2 - SQM 21.9+)

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:47 PM

Yeah, that was my first thought, Gion. It sounds more like a Windows issue.

Richard - Try installing the regular version 19.2 of Stellarium and see if that installs OK.

#55 Bob Denny

Bob Denny

Vendor (DC-3 Dreams)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Mesa AZ USA

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:49 PM

Maybe post a screen shot of the message. There may be a clue there.

#56 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:50 PM

I’ll try that tonight. 

#57 ssj92

ssj92

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 November 2019 - 02:26 PM

Idk if there's been an update, but I downloaded the first version that was available. 

Have only been able to use it once (maybe twice if I can get out tonight)

It worked fine on my CGEM DX mount using a USB to serial adapter and the original hand controller. 

Only issue I had was a weird lag or delay in stellarium. When I press something or scroll there was like a 1 second delay. 

[Probably should mention, that lag happened when I was connected to the scope. Under normal use it runs perfectly. 

PC Specs:

Alienware M18xR2

Intel Core i7 3920XM @ 4.2Ghz

24GB RAM

2 x Samsung 840 Pro RAID0

2x nVidia GeForce GTX 780M SLI 

Edited by ssj92, 05 November 2019 - 02:29 PM.

#58 descott12

descott12

Gemini

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:17 PM

This is probably a really dumb question but configure button is disabled for all the plugins, not sure your Telescope control plugin. Is there something I have to do do enable them?

Oddly enough, I still have Stellarius 0.18.3 installed and the plugin is configurable there but not in your 0.19.2 download.

#59 mikenoname

mikenoname

Apollo

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:45 AM

Dave,

The Configure button is greyed out until the plugin is started. Click the 'Load at Startup' checkbox to the left of it, then exit Stellarium and restart. Now you will see the telescope control icon show up on the command bar (or press Ctrl+0) to start the telescope control plugin. NOTE: That is Ctrl+Zero, not Ctrl+Capital O.

#60 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:27 AM

I have no clue what could have gone wrong during the installation on your Eagle. Were you running Stellarium on it before without issues? It could be that my build lacks some sort of certificate... Not sure about that. I'd check the windows event logs to see if you can find anything there.

Yeah, that was my first thought, Gion. It sounds more like a Windows issue.

Richard - Try installing the regular version 19.2 of Stellarium and see if that installs OK.

Maybe post a screen shot of the message. There may be a clue there.

OK, here is the sequence for tonight.

I uninstalled everything "Stellarium".

I then installed the "normal" win64 version of Stellarium. At the end of the install, there is a checkbox that says "launch ...".  I checked it.  As soon as the software tries to run, I get the oops message.

Without doing or changing anything, I then tried to install the "new" version.   I assumed it would either overwrite or remove as needed.  at the end of the install, with "launch..." still checked, I got the same goops window.

OK, uninstall everything again.  Restart the Eagle.  Install the new version on its own.  Same issue.  it installs and then as it starts to launch I get the failure warning.  I have also done a uninstall, reboot, install, reboot and try and start up (with the launch box unchecked) and the failure is the same.

Screenshot 2019-11-05 19.58.42.png

#61 mikenoname

mikenoname

Apollo

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:07 AM

OK, so it is pretty clear that the issue is not Gion's alpha build because you can't even get the vanilla Stellarium release to launch.

Seems like it is an Eagle-specific problem, what with it's "Windows 10 Enterprise" OS which sounds like a proprietary stripped-down version of Win10. Is there a support forum for these Eagle beasties? I would start there.

#62 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:34 AM

OK, so it is pretty clear that the issue is not Gion's alpha build because you can't even get the vanilla Stellarium release to launch.

Seems like it is an Eagle-specific problem, what with it's "Windows 10 Enterprise" OS which sounds like a proprietary stripped-down version of Win10. Is there a support forum for these Eagle beasties? I would start there.

I agree.  I am not a windows guy anymore (used to be), but I have to assume that there a a number of differences in this OS.  Thanks for the help!

#63 descott12

descott12

Gemini

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:20 AM

Dave,

The Configure button is greyed out until the plugin is started. Click the 'Load at Startup' checkbox to the left of it, then exit Stellarium and restart. Now you will see the telescope control icon show up on the command bar (or press Ctrl+0) to start the telescope control plugin. NOTE: That is Ctrl+Zero, not Ctrl+Capital O.

Thank you sir. Not sure I would have figured that one out!

• mikenoname likes this

#64 Bob Denny

Bob Denny

Vendor (DC-3 Dreams)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Mesa AZ USA

Posted 06 November 2019 - 12:16 PM

@richorn have a look in the Windows Application Log (Google for instructions on opening it). Look for red error icons involving the program. Look at the info, including the details tab. Most of it is gibberish but you might find a hint there.

#65 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:45 PM

@richorn have a look in the Windows Application Log (Google for instructions on opening it). Look for red error icons involving the program. Look at the info, including the details tab. Most of it is gibberish but you might find a hint there.

Thanks.  I'll give it a shot.

#66 Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf

Stellarium

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Barnaul, Siberia, Russia

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:37 AM

@richorn what is you see here: Start -> All Programs -> Stellarium -> Latest Run Log ?

#67 Fernando134

Fernando134

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Brasil

Posted 09 November 2019 - 11:28 AM

HI there: for those runing AP mounts + AP V2 Ascom + Stellarium: When I hit connect in Stellarium, the AP V2 Ascom drive opens, I unpark and everything runs ok. However, following the AP V2 instructions, when I desconnect the mount from Stellarium, the AP V2 Ascom drive should be shut down automaticaly. By the way, it used to work this way with Stellarium Scope...

But that is not happening: the V2 drive keeps connected and I have to shut down the computer. Am I doing something wrong?

Regards, thank in advance, Fernando

• Tez likes this

#68 Iver

Iver

Mariner 2

• Loc: Monterey County,Ca.

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:03 PM

This is a quote from the developer's earlier post!

Thanks again @Iver for this report. I was researching a bit more, and now I'm disposing the ASCOM objects completely after disconnect which results in the ASCOM Telescope control window to be closed immediately. The fix is already in my code branch but I'll wait with a new release since this is not critical.

#69 Jonk

Jonk

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:50 AM

I have installed this version on a 64bit Windows 7 laptop for testing.

I have tried it with a Sitech I + Mesu 200 MK2 (telescope 1), and a SW AZ-EQ6 (telescope 2), both via Ascom.

Both mounts are currently not installed outside so this is only a bench test.

Connecting to the mounts was ok (after a few goes, but probably usb-serial driver problems more than anything) but pressing ctrl+1 (or 2) does not slew, and pressing the slew button in the ctrl+0 only works now and again.

ctrl+1 does work with the simulator every time.

I also get frustrated that pressing on an object with the mouse, does not automatically load as a 'current object' in the 'slew telescope to' - this means having to open up ctrl+0 and clicking 'current object'. I find this very tedious and I think it should be easy to auto populate when selecting an object?

I need to use this to check the coordinates before I copy and paste into SGPro.

There's an idea - any way to auto send coordinates to SGPro from within Stellarium? That would be nice!

Maybe if there is an issue with ctrl+1 with the ascom driver and this is fixed, then the ctrl+0 ('slew telescope to' screen) will never need to be used?

Another idea is the possibilty to connect and disconnect telescopes using an extra button on the lower bar - there are buttons I have never used (equitorial grid, or constellation lines for example) so having an extra button would be great (connect / disconnect telescope 1, 2, etc...) again, to avoid having to keep opening windows all the time.

Stellarium also crashes frequently (this version only, other versions I have are fine). If you need a logfile or screenshot, let me know.

#70 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Vanguard

• Loc: Houston

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:35 PM

I just tested it with a 10Micron GM1000, and Windows Pro 10 64-bit. Works great.

#71 Obi-Wan Kenewbie

Obi-Wan Kenewbie

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Coruscant

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:52 AM

Hi all, i have a pegasus astro EQDIR USB Stick for EQMOD for my az-eq5 and a 64bit Windows 10 laptop. i have installed the ascom "version" of stellarium. Do i need to do anything else before try to connect? This is my first time without the synscan controller. Thank you.

Edited by Obi-Wan Kenewbie, 13 November 2019 - 03:52 AM.

#72 jcpatrick51953

jcpatrick51953

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:15 AM

Obi-Wan,

If you haven't already, install the ASCOM Platform drivers from https://ascom-standards.org.

• Obi-Wan Kenewbie likes this

#73 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:54 PM

Is there any chance of having a 32-bit version to test? (My main astro laptop is a lowly 32 bit machine running Windows 7 Professional and Stellarium 0.18.0). Thanks.

#74 Fernando134

Fernando134

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Brasil

Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:34 AM

This is a quote from the developer's earlier post!

Thanks again @Iver for this report. I was researching a bit more, and now I'm disposing the ASCOM objects completely after disconnect which results in the ASCOM Telescope control window to be closed immediately. The fix is already in my code branch but I'll wait with a new release since this is not critical.

Thanks, Fernando

#75 Ruediger

Ruediger

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:20 AM

I just tested it with a 10Micron GM1000, and Windows Pro 10 64-bit. Works great.

I have tested with 10µ GM2000HPS and have some serious issues. Stellarium (0.19.2.17229) starts stuttering and has hick ups. The target cross is only updated very jerkily.Working with Stellarium is not possible any more.

I tested a couple of settings, but could not make it work like using ASCOM simulator or EQ-Mod. I have used ASCOM driver version 1.5.1.0.

Have you set any special settings in the 10µ ASCOM driver? I had caching active. Any modification of any settings make it worse.Disconnecting the scope makes Stellarium work as usual.

CS

Ruediger

Edited by Ruediger, 20 November 2019 - 08:48 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics