•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium direct ASCOM Support Testers wanted

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#76 Ruediger

Ruediger

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2019 - 01:18 PM

Update:

Today APT has released a new version 3.81 which solves the identical issue. They have moved the mount communication to a separate asynchronous task as advised by 10 Micron support stuff.

Here are also some hard figures: Stellarium frame rate drops from 17 fps to 0.6 fps as soon as the mount gets connected, and recovers immediately when disconnected.

#77 Bob Denny

Bob Denny

Vendor (DC-3 Dreams)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Mesa AZ USA

Posted 22 November 2019 - 01:29 PM

Something is strange... This only affects the 10 Micron? How about other mount types? From the app side, there should be no differences... except for...

Is it possible that the ASCOM Plug-In is calling Telescope.SlewToCoordinates() and not Telescope.SlewToCoordinatesAsync()? It definitely should be using the Async form, and then checking Telescope.Slewing to see when it completes (if that is required for Stellarium. The synchronous form (SlewToCoordinates())) is going to be deprecated in the future. I apologize for not having the time at the moment to check the source code myself. 

Edited by Bob Denny, 22 November 2019 - 01:29 PM.

#78 Ruediger

Ruediger

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2019 - 01:36 PM

May be I should have added the link to APT forum, where problem and solution is descried. https://aptforum.com...t=2530&start=20

There is a statement from 10Micron to this issue. I am not so deep in coding that I could consider, whether it is helpful here, or not.

At least in APT also iOPTRON mounts were impacted.

Edited by Ruediger, 22 November 2019 - 01:38 PM.

#79 tectonik

tectonik

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:08 PM

Hi,

Can't get this to work.

-Using your beta for Stellarium of course

-Windows 10 64 bit

-CPWI version 2.2.3

- Celestron AVX 8inch SCT and mount

- ASCOM 6.4 platform.

Problem:  Cannot get Stellarium to connect under these conditions.

- CPWI running and connected to mount on COM6

- Under Stellarium telescope control plug-in i have chosen:

Telescope controlled by:

ASCOM checked

Coordinate System J2000 checked

Start/Connect at Startup is checked

I clicked the "Choose ASCOM telescope" button and selected "Celestron Telescope Drive"

Clicked Properties on ASCOM chooser and properties were correct with correct COM port

Source for coordinate system:  Let ASCOM decide is checked

I start CPWI, align the mount, then start Stellarium. 

When I try a goto  in Stellarium, nothing. 

When I check the Telescope Control its just sitting there stating "Connecting" and never connects.

Stellarium works fine for GOTO commands using the "Stellarium directly through serial port", CPWI not running and not tying up COM port.  CPWI runs fine separately also.

Thanks for your help.  This is a great idea.!

Edited by tectonik, 23 November 2019 - 11:15 AM.

#80 mikenoname

mikenoname

Apollo

• Loc: Death Valley Region (Bortle 2 - SQM 21.9+)

Posted 23 November 2019 - 01:15 PM

Under Stellarium telescope control plug-in i have chosen:

Telescope controlled by:

ASCOM checked

Coordinate System J2000 checked

Start/Connect at Startup is checked

I clicked the "Choose ASCOM telescope" button and selected "Celestron Telescope Drive"

The short answer: Connect CPWI to the mount first. Then, in Stellarium, instead of selecting "Celestron Telescope Driver" select the CPWI driver.

The longer story is that you cannot connect two softwares to the mount simultaneously. It can only talk to one. And once that one is connected, no other program can access it. So the solution is to connect a hub to the mount first and then connect all other software to the hub. CPWI has a hub built into it, so you connect it first and then connect all other ASCOM-using software to CPWI.

I should add that I am not a CPWI user, and am not sure if it needs to be specially configured to act as a hub or not, but have been told that all of this should be in the CPWI manual pdf that is installed in the CPWI program folder.

Edited by mikenoname, 23 November 2019 - 01:32 PM.

• PatrickVt likes this

#81 mikenoname

mikenoname

Apollo

Posted 23 November 2019 - 04:00 PM

No problem Lift Off.

Glad to hear we all helped you get there.

As to the driver, it is probably one of those "might help, can't hurt" situations. If you ever have a piece of software that you might want to connect to the mount without CPWI running, the driver will be needed. I doubt it will cause any problems if it is installed and not used.

Edited by mikenoname, 23 November 2019 - 04:00 PM.

#82 tectonik

tectonik

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 November 2019 - 01:29 PM

I accidentally deleted my post just above this one.

Anyway, I had either an old or corrupted version of CPWI.  Downloaded and reinstalled.  Works great now!

mikenoname also answered the question "do I need the ASCOM Celstron telescope driver if I plan to image and/or do live viewing?"

Thanks One and All.

#83 Ruediger

Ruediger

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:35 AM

I have tested with 10µ GM2000HPS and have some serious issues. Stellarium (0.19.2.17229) starts stuttering and has hick ups. The target cross is only updated very jerkily.Working with Stellarium is not possible any more.

I tested a couple of settings, but could not make it work like using ASCOM simulator or EQ-Mod. I have used ASCOM driver version 1.5.1.0.

Have you set any special settings in the 10µ ASCOM driver? I had caching active. Any modification of any settings make it worse.Disconnecting the scope makes Stellarium work as usual.

CS

Ruediger

Hi all,

I solved the problem thanks to a good advice in the 10M forum, which I want to share.

As soon as switching to JNOW in the 10 Micron ASCOM driver the problem is solved.The frame rates are back.
Now I will switch all my applications to JNOW and hope I do not get any issues with the plate solvers e.g. ASTAP, since they work all with J2000 catalogue data.

CS

Ruediger

#84 gwilson001

gwilson001

Sputnik

• Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 25 November 2019 - 02:03 PM

Are mount specific ASCOM drivers still needed if running CPWI?

I have CPWI successfully connected to my AVX but when I launch Stellarium (0.19.2.17229) I am unable to connect to the scope.  I have the connection as Direct but there is no place I can find to select the CPWI driver even if I select Indirect I cannot find where the driver is selected.

Also, Stellarium is not picking up my system time or location correctly and I'm not seeing where this can be changed.

I must be missing something that may be obvious to someone here - any suggestion would be great.

Thanks

CPWI.JPG

scope control 1.JPG

time date.JPG

This is the loc/time that is in error

time date 2.JPG

Edited by gwilson001, 25 November 2019 - 03:27 PM.

#85 tectonik

tectonik

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 November 2019 - 12:12 PM

Hi, I just got this running.

You should be seeing this screen below.  Note the "ASCOM" selection and "ASCOM Settings>Choose ASCOM Telescope" which is absent in your graphic.  Did you accidentally select the non-beta version if you are running both on the machine?  Consider uninstalling the non-beta and beta, then reinstalling the beta only. Also download and reinstall the latest CPWI from Celestron (this solved my problem).  Hope this helps.

stellarium_beta.jpg

Stellarium time:  if you mouse over the left side of the screen you should see the slide out icon menu.  select the wrench icon which will bring up the configuration window.  Select Time.  This should have what you are after, check "System date and time".

Edited by tectonik, 26 November 2019 - 12:41 PM.

• Obi-Wan Kenewbie likes this

#86 RVVCUDA

RVVCUDA

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 November 2019 - 01:16 AM

I have just tested this indoors on Windows 10 Pro x64 with my Orion AZ/EQ-G Pro mount. I had to re-designate the key functions within Stellarium for Cntl+1, Cntl+3 and Cntl+5 as mentioned in an earlier posting. Also I noticed the EQMOD control panel does not close when Stellarium is closed in fact it's rather difficult to get it to close. It also did not start with Stellarium the first few times I tried it but does now so not sure what that was about.  As for scope control using a LYNX Astro EQDIRECT usb cable it seems to work fine once keys are re-designated. I hope this becomes part of the Stellarium Official Release and is a much welcome addition well overdue.  Thanks so much for working on this Gion. Over the years I have gotten that "fix it yourself" reply from the Stellarium Crew but to their credit they did in time incorporate my ideas so I hope they do the same with this sooner than later. 

Edited by RVVCUDA, 30 November 2019 - 02:15 AM.

#87 Sp0nG3Bo8

Sp0nG3Bo8

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:42 AM

this is a good news ! i think i will give it a go :-)

#88 Paul76

Paul76

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:20 AM

Hi tried installing this but I have no option for ASCOM in beta version. Any ideas?

#89 RVVCUDA

RVVCUDA

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:14 PM

Paul76 - Just going to take a few wild guesses here..

1. Do you have ASCOM along with the ASCOM Mount Driver installed?

2. Is it the most current installed version of ASCOM?

3. Were the latest versions of ASCOM installed prior to Stellarium beta?

4. Are all versions 64bit as the Stellarium beta is 64bit?

5. Are you looking for the ASCOM setting in the correct tab of the Telescope Control in Stellarium?

Sorry if these are pretty basic questions as just trying to think what could cause that. My install went perfectly on a Windows 10 Pro 64bit system and it works perfectly with the exception of EQMOD window not closing with the closing of Stellarium.  Hope you get it working as it's well worth getting rid of StellariumScope IMO.

#90 Paul76

Paul76

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:16 PM

Paul76 - Just going to take a few wild guesses here..
1. Do you have ASCOM along with the ASCOM Mount Driver installed?
2. Is it the most current installed version of ASCOM?
3. Were the latest versions of ASCOM installed prior to Stellarium beta?
4. Are all versions 64bit as the Stellarium beta is 64bit?
5. Are you looking for the ASCOM setting in the correct tab of the Telescope Control in Stellarium?

Sorry if these are pretty basic questions as just trying to think what could cause that. My install went perfectly on a Windows 10 Pro 64bit system and it works perfectly with the exception of EQMOD window not closing with the closing of Stellarium. Hope you get it working as it's well worth getting rid of StellariumScope IMO.

I'm not fully sure but I was use ASCOM Eqmod and Stellarium Scope to control my HEQ5 Pro. I can try seeing if I have the latest version but I've not long had my mount, say 6 weeks, and downloaded ASCOM around that time.

#91 gionk

gionk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:33 AM

Hi guys

Just a quick update. I've fixed the bug which was preventing Stellarium to close the ASCOM driver window when Stellarium was closed. There were also some minor adjustments and some updates to the documentation of Stellarium.

My work has now been officially integrated into the main version of Stellarium and the ASCOM support is rolling out into the next beta release. I can't tell when that will happen but I guess quite soon.

I wanted to thank you all for your efforts in helping us to test my alpha version and your feedback was crucial in order to stabilize the code and enhance the documentation.

Also, some of you expressed that this was long overdue and that this feature was always politely rejected by the Stellarium authors. However, I would like to express once more that this is an open source project and Fabien, Alex, Georg and all the other main contributors put a huge effort into the development of Stellarium and offer us this fantastic product completely free. Alex alone has written and changed alone 90,683,545 lines of code within the last 10 years....  FOR FREE! Imagine that! On a distance from earth to the moon that would be one line of code every 4.24 meters! lol.gif

Okay, I hope you will enjoy the new feature, since I'm already having a lot of fun with it and I'm now uninstalling StellariumScope from my imaging laptop cool.gif

Clear skies!

Gion

• Miguelo, gzotti and MikeECha like this

#92 RVVCUDA

RVVCUDA

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 December 2019 - 03:39 AM

Gion - Thanks so much for the serious improvement. I look forward to the Stellarium release that has this incorporated. This will make Stellarium even better!

• gionk likes this

#93 Xeroid

Xeroid

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:31 AM

Gion,

You have made a great contribution to his hobby, fellow amateur astronomers everywhere will appreciate your efforts.

BRAVO WELL DONE! bow.gif

• gionk likes this

#94 mikenoname

mikenoname

Apollo

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:48 PM

Thanks so much Gion for your work!

The new beta is already available for testing so head on over and get it:

https://www.cloudyni...ium-v0192174xx/

• gionk likes this

#95 Ruediger

Ruediger

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 December 2019 - 11:42 AM

Hello Gion,

also many thanks from my side. I was waiting for that feature for years. I am so happy to have the ASCOM integration. I am absolutely convinced that you provided the feature almost all Stellarium users were longing for most.

To quote many here: "Well done!" bow.gif waytogo.gif

Edited by Ruediger, 08 December 2019 - 11:44 AM.

• gionk likes this

#96 Paul76

Paul76

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:57 AM

Got it working now on Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro.

All good.

Edited by Paul76, 11 December 2019 - 08:57 AM.

#97 Paul76

Paul76

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 December 2019 - 05:02 AM

Tried using the Beta last night, ctrl+1 slew the scope but ctrl+3 wouldn't sync?

#98 Ruediger

Ruediger

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 December 2019 - 05:52 AM

Hello Paul, no it wont, since CTRL+3 for Sync was a short cut created by "Stellarium Scope".

But you can re-assign this shortcut in Stellarium settings. Default is CTRL+Shift+1 to sync scope #1.

• Paul76 likes this

#99 Paul76

Paul76

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:54 AM

Hello Paul, no it wont, since CTRL+3 for Sync was a short cut created by "Stellarium Scope".
But you can re-assign this shortcut in Stellarium settings. Default is CTRL+Shift+1 to sync scope #1.

Brilliant, thanks a lot

#100 Rob.K

Rob.K

Lift Off

• Loc: Strathcona County, AB

Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:32 PM

Great work, Gion! Works flawlessly with my CEM60! Thank you!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics