•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium direct ASCOM Support Testers wanted

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#101 descott12

descott12

Gemini

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 13 December 2019 - 03:08 PM

Great work, Gion! Works flawlessly with my CEM60! Thank you!

Yes, it is great. Works beautifully with my Evolution 8

• gionk likes this

#102 GrandadCast

GrandadCast

Apollo

• Loc: Hill Country, Texas

Posted 14 December 2019 - 06:33 AM

Works with my iEQ45 ( non-pro).

I first tried using ASCOM POTH and my frame rate drop to 1/4 frame rate and was very choppy. Once I went directly to ASCOM and the port directly, it ran perfectly. Actually better than any other way. Before using direct serial or Stellarium Scope, when slewing it never showed the target traveling across towards the new target. So in my case it is not just simpler and cleaner setup, but makes Stellarium work as it should with faster response and smoother operation.

Nice job and thanks

Jess

• gionk likes this

#103 andythilo

andythilo

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Saffron Walden, UK

Posted 17 December 2019 - 04:10 AM

Tried this 2 nights ago with my EQ5 Pro and EQ Direct cable. Works beautifully. The only issue I had (and reading more it was my fault) I couldn't get it to sync. However now I know I have to press CTRL SHIFT 1 it should work. Can Stellarium not receive sync points from EQMOD?

My only request would be to add some on screen buttons to slew/abort slew/sync similar to what is in CdC. That would be nice. 

Otherwise I works perfectly smile.gif. No performance issues on my i5 laptop.

• gionk likes this

#104 MikeECha

MikeECha

Messenger

Posted 17 December 2019 - 07:48 PM

Tried this 2 nights ago with my EQ5 Pro and EQ Direct cable. Works beautifully. The only issue I had (and reading more it was my fault) I couldn't get it to sync. However now I know I have to press CTRL SHIFT 1 it should work. Can Stellarium not receive sync points from EQMOD?

My only request would be to add some on screen buttons to slew/abort slew/sync similar to what is in CdC. That would be nice. 

Otherwise I works perfectly smile.gif. No performance issues on my i5 laptop.

That is already available to some degree from one of the buttons on the left side od the screen. Just dont remember which one.

#105 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 18 December 2019 - 08:12 PM

It works with my Mach1GTO with APCC Pro running.

Question: when SGP does a plate solve it gets a number for rotation. Should this be / can this be passed back to Stellarium? It would be nice if Stellarium showed the rotation of my camera's FOV.
  • gionk likes this

#106 SmokeynzZ

SmokeynzZ

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 19 December 2019 - 11:50 PM

Hi,

build 0.19.217229

With my equipment, 

Installs without error in my test device, surfacepro winblows10

I still have slellariumscope installed, can uninstall if required to solve possible conflicts.

I set keys,

Ctrl + 0 => slew to 

Ctrl + 1 => slew to target

Ctrl + 3 => sync

Ctrl + SPACE => halt slewing

I might set halt to just space yet, as this needs to be as a panic button easily found in a state of panic. To do this has a default conflict of centering screen to target.

Issues:

I could not populate the alignment sync data to EQmod.

Alignment of target reticule is misaligned, to home position, after slewing to target, occasionally aligns on target maker, but mostly is off.

reticle movement whilst slewing, pulses in movement (as a sine wave fast slow).

If you forget to unpark you have to reselect the target to slew to target.

request:

Add a quick icon into lower bar, and or add quick keys to access the connect screen popup. (I prefer not to start with connection) 

Connecting runs EQmod, but can it ask the question to "shutdown eqmod" on disconnect, or add a tickbox in the settings to shutdown eqmod on disconnect. (sometimes you want to, sometimes you won't)

regards

#107 FiremanDan

FiremanDan

Aurora

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:05 PM

My issue so far is pressing the configure button does nothing. This is with the beta 0.19.2.17520

**I didn't have the newest ASCOM. My bad.

It keeps crashing for me but I really think it's my old old old Macbook running 32bit windows that is the issue.

Edited by FiremanDan, 20 December 2019 - 11:45 PM.

#108 SmokeynzZ

SmokeynzZ

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 December 2019 - 09:48 PM

Update: Attempt 2

Build: stellarium-0.19.2.17520-win64

Note:

Gion, I updated the version I tested with the beta build sourced from Stellarium/beta, it might pay to update any links in this thread to the same version/source otherwise you will get bad data reports for things you think are updated or corrected. Unless you have in progress differences you wish users to test that are not in the official beta.

For testers; There is behavior differences between Gion's "working" download and the "stellarium beta".

I do have a startup mis alignment when of the mount pole position, I have the correct Southern Hemisphere location and timezone set,  and tried JNOW and J2000, each moved the startup reticule location, but neither better than each other. This I think is a Stellarium problem.

For the Ascom + Mount control

Setting keys; 

For targeting and syncing after making changes I ended up returning to using the defaults.

For me it actually makes sense to use the "Ctrl + 1" slew to target (1), "Ctrl + Shift + 1" sync target (1)

Trick for populating sync into the EQmod, once you make your scope adjustments, "Select the Target Reticule", then "Ctrl + Shift + 1"

Syncing now works for me, I did not reselect the mount reticule on my previous attempt.

Keys for halting slewing is messy.  I am flip flopping between, "Shift + 1", (which is "!") and "Shift + Space". I would prefer "Space", the default of Center screen to target, so I have to consider moving this default center screen.

Requests:

After a second shake down I still would like an icon or quick access key setting, to bring up the connect to mount sub screen, then same icon disconnect with a question or tick box, shutdown EQmod yes/no.

If you want to shutdown Stellarium, whilst still running capture software you will might disrupt some other operation disconnecting EQmod.

Personally, selecting "always connect on startup", is messy should the mount be not running and or you just want to plan a session without connecting.

Many thanks for the Ascom connection, for us newbies with large learning curves and information overload, this addition has been sorely needed.

Many of the advanced users gloss over the details of software interactions and one less application just makes life a little more bearable.

regards

• gionk likes this

#109 Noltimier

Noltimier

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Central Ohio

Posted 26 December 2019 - 11:35 AM

Hi Gion.

Stellarium build: 0.9.2.17442-win64 works with my Vixen SXD2 Starbook 10 V4.20.

Running Windows 7 Professional.  LAN Tcp/4 crossover cable from computer to Starbook 10, USB 2.0 connection to ZWO ASI120MC.

Nice Job!

Mark

PS

ASCOM:  V 6.4.0

Starbook 10 Ascom Driver:  Ver.1.2.2.0(May 15, 2019)

Edited by Noltimier, 26 December 2019 - 11:48 AM.

#110 MikeECha

MikeECha

Messenger

Posted 31 December 2019 - 01:36 PM

Hello and Happy New Year to all CNighters

I installed the latest Stellarium 0.19.3 and set the telescope plugin for ASCOM with the EQMOD HEQ5/6 telescope but when I press properties on the telescope chooser popup window, I get this error on the image attached and it will not connect to the mount.

My mount is an EQ6-R Pro (USB2 ported) and I have the entire "ASCOM network" working for a while now. 

Things I have tried:

- I tried the EQMOD Simulator option and it connects without problems

- I also loaded my EQMOD driver setting on the simulator and the simulator still connects without problems 

- I went back to StellariumScope and that works too.

Does anyone know what the problem is from this error message.

Thank you for your help

Stellarium 19_3 ASCOM error.JPG

#111 MikeECha

MikeECha

Messenger

Posted 31 December 2019 - 05:17 PM

Hello and Happy New Year to all CNighters

I installed the latest Stellarium 0.19.3 and set the telescope plugin for ASCOM with the EQMOD HEQ5/6 telescope but when I press properties on the telescope chooser popup window, I get this error on the image attached and it will not connect to the mount.

My mount is an EQ6-R Pro (USB2 ported) and I have the entire "ASCOM network" working for a while now. 

Things I have tried:

- I tried the EQMOD Simulator option and it connects without problems

- I also loaded my EQMOD driver setting on the simulator and the simulator still connects without problems 

- I went back to StellariumScope and that works too.

Does anyone know what the problem is from this error message.

Thank you for your help

attachicon.gifStellarium 19_3 ASCOM error.JPG

Just to answer my own question in case is useful to someone with the same problem.

All good now.

I had to set stellarium.exe to run with elevated/administrator permissions. The Windows10 User Account Control (UAC) settings ask for you to approve the run of certain apps and all the astro stuff is in the same boat (at least for my laptop). All had to be set as such in order to work.

• gionk likes this

#112 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 31 December 2019 - 05:33 PM

This is a nice development! Can the shortcuts be adjusted? I'm accustomed to use the following and would want to use the same. Is this possible?

<ctrl> + 1 = slew telescope to selected object (as before)

<ctrl> + 3 = issue a sync of to the selected object

<ctrl> + 5 = Abort the last slew action of telescope

I don't use the keys to slew. It's hard to see them in the dark. Now, I should mention that I still am using Stellarium scope along with Stellarium and Eqmod. But I click on the telescope icon on the bottom tool bar in Stellarium, it brings up a window that gives you the three options,  select scope and click on the slew button. It's so much easier to use the mouse in the dark.

• gionk likes this

#113 RVVCUDA

RVVCUDA

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 December 2019 - 06:58 PM

elmiko - You can set the slew commands up however you like within the Stellarium Key settings - There is an earlier post in this thread with picture instructions. It worked fine for me!

Robert

• elmiko likes this

#114 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 31 December 2019 - 09:00 PM

I must have missed that. Going to check it out.

#115 mtc

mtc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bortle 6, MA

Posted 01 January 2020 - 08:22 AM

It might be here..

https://www.cloudyni...-2#entry9713125

#116 gionk

gionk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 January 2020 - 04:49 PM

It works with my Mach1GTO with APCC Pro running.

Question: when SGP does a plate solve it gets a number for rotation. Should this be / can this be passed back to Stellarium? It would be nice if Stellarium showed the rotation of my camera's FOV.

I would really love this. It would make framing during the session much easier. However, the problem is that the rotation is not stored through ASCOM (unless you'd have a ASCOM rotator device). Since we're using ASCOM to communicate between Stellarium and whatever image acquisition software you're using, we can't get the rotation from plate solving easily. I'd really love this feature too. 

#117 gionk

gionk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 January 2020 - 04:59 PM

Update: Attempt 2

Build: stellarium-0.19.2.17520-win64

Note:

Gion, I updated the version I tested with the beta build sourced from Stellarium/beta, it might pay to update any links in this thread to the same version/source otherwise you will get bad data reports for things you think are updated or corrected. Unless you have in progress differences you wish users to test that are not in the official beta.

For testers; There is behavior differences between Gion's "working" download and the "stellarium beta".

I do have a startup mis alignment when of the mount pole position, I have the correct Southern Hemisphere location and timezone set,  and tried JNOW and J2000, each moved the startup reticule location, but neither better than each other. This I think is a Stellarium problem.

For the Ascom + Mount control

Setting keys; 

For targeting and syncing after making changes I ended up returning to using the defaults.

For me it actually makes sense to use the "Ctrl + 1" slew to target (1), "Ctrl + Shift + 1" sync target (1)

Trick for populating sync into the EQmod, once you make your scope adjustments, "Select the Target Reticule", then "Ctrl + Shift + 1"

Syncing now works for me, I did not reselect the mount reticule on my previous attempt.

Keys for halting slewing is messy.  I am flip flopping between, "Shift + 1", (which is "!") and "Shift + Space". I would prefer "Space", the default of Center screen to target, so I have to consider moving this default center screen.

Requests:

After a second shake down I still would like an icon or quick access key setting, to bring up the connect to mount sub screen, then same icon disconnect with a question or tick box, shutdown EQmod yes/no.

If you want to shutdown Stellarium, whilst still running capture software you will might disrupt some other operation disconnecting EQmod.

Personally, selecting "always connect on startup", is messy should the mount be not running and or you just want to plan a session without connecting.

Many thanks for the Ascom connection, for us newbies with large learning curves and information overload, this addition has been sorely needed.

Many of the advanced users gloss over the details of software interactions and one less application just makes life a little more bearable.

regards

Thanks for all your feedback. Some of your comments make a lot of sense and on some I don't agree. However, most of it is also a result of me not wanting to intrude the existing concepts of Stellarium and the Stellarium Telescope Control plugin. The control keys were always meant to be working for up to 10 scopes and therefore the ctrl + 1, ctrl + shift + 1 etc. keybindings. I agree that the 99% case is to control one single telescope, so the bindings could have been a bit simpler from the beginning on. Also the icons on the bottom bar are currently all just access buttons to plugins or showing / hiding features. I think adding a connection icon there, would probably go against this concept a bit. I guess we would need to rethink the whole telescope control concept again and come of with a holistic solution.

#118 Ruediger

Ruediger

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 January 2020 - 04:59 PM

APT can do this via Stellarium's server interface. APT can show the frame including rotation based on plate solving results. It is only a topic of the client. In that case SGP. 

Edited by Ruediger, 03 January 2020 - 05:01 PM.

• gionk likes this

#119 gionk

gionk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 January 2020 - 05:00 PM

I don't use the keys to slew. It's hard to see them in the dark. Now, I should mention that I still am using Stellarium scope along with Stellarium and Eqmod. But I click on the telescope icon on the bottom tool bar in Stellarium, it brings up a window that gives you the three options,  select scope and click on the slew button. It's so much easier to use the mouse in the dark.

That's why I love illuminated keyboards lol.gif

• mikenoname likes this

#120 gionk

gionk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 January 2020 - 05:02 PM

APT can do this via Stellarium's server interface. APT can show the frame including rotation based on plate solving results. It is only a topic of the client. In that case SGP. 

Cool, than this feature request should go to SGP then :-) (which is my preferred automation software currently too)

Edited by gionk, 03 January 2020 - 05:03 PM.

#121 SmokeynzZ

SmokeynzZ

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 January 2020 - 10:59 PM

Thanks for all your feedback. Some of your comments make a lot of sense and on some I don't agree. However, most of it is also a result of me not wanting to intrude the existing concepts of Stellarium and the Stellarium Telescope Control plugin. The control keys were always meant to be working for up to 10 scopes and therefore the ctrl + 1, ctrl + shift + 1 etc. keybindings. I agree that the 99% case is to control one single telescope, so the bindings could have been a bit simpler from the beginning on. Also the icons on the bottom bar are currently all just access buttons to plugins or showing / hiding features. I think adding a connection icon there, would probably go against this concept a bit. I guess we would need to rethink the whole telescope control concept again and come of with a holistic solution.

Hi gionk, 

Turns out there is a native built in icon, once the Telescope plugin is activated and Stellarium rebooted the "Slew to Target" icon appears. This actually is double acting as you have a selection of "configure telescope"  where you can connect and disconnect as required. 

Job done for us!

Next thing is to work out why the "start up" scope icon on the screen does not align perfectly with the "Equatorial Grid", I've tried both J2000 and JNOW, settled back on J2000 making sure EQMOD is set independently to Stellarium to make sure settings are synced. Ultimately it doesn't matter as you move this once the syncing alignment takes place. Just a startup thing for which it seems wrong. Although it is uncertain if the problem is with EQMOD, Stellarium or this interface.

regards

PS: I am now using the official release of Stellarium 9.3

Edited by SmokeynzZ, 03 January 2020 - 11:05 PM.

#122 KeyDiver

KeyDiver

Lift Off

Posted 05 January 2020 - 08:57 PM

My configuration is a Celestron AVX and PrimaLuce Eagle 3 running Windows Enterprise.  The Eagle runs Stellarium best using the Angle version.  I have put many hours on the clock with Stellarium Scope and no problems.

I loaded your ASCOM version, configured my ASCOM driver and powered on the scope/mount.  It woke up and did not need a new alignment, so I went to Stellarium and tried to move to a nearby star.  Oops, it gave me an error message about being unable to slew while parked.  I've never seen this before, S-Scope just took my command and went to work.  Can you point out my mistake?

Attached Thumbnails

• Cant_Slew.png

#123 Bob Denny

Bob Denny

Vendor (DC-3 Dreams)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Mesa AZ USA

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:48 AM

Is the telescope parked? If so the ASCOM driver is protecting you from moving a parked scope. Suppose it is parked under a dangerous low roll-off roof? Like the error message says (and this is a great error message!!), unpark the scope. Then use it as normal.

• elmiko likes this

#124 KeyDiver

KeyDiver

Lift Off

Posted 06 January 2020 - 07:07 PM

Bob-  Thanks for your comments, they pointed out that I wasn't anywhere near to describing the problem as I thought.

Yes, the scope was in the parked position at first, and I agree that the error message was warranted.  But, then I used the hand controller to move it out of parked and on to Polaris.  It's a small move, but then it's no longer in park.  You can see that the scope is on Polaris in my Stellarium screen capture above.

Then I selected Arrai as the new target to slew to.  And I expected the scope to slew, but it didn't.  Instead, it gave another "can't slew" message.

So, if I moved the scope out of park, then selected a new target, why did the slew command fail?

#125 Bob Denny

Bob Denny

Vendor (DC-3 Dreams)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Mesa AZ USA

Posted 06 January 2020 - 07:54 PM

Bob-  Thanks for your comments, they pointed out that I wasn't anywhere near to describing the problem as I thought.

Yes, the scope was in the parked position at first, and I agree that the error message was warranted.  But, then I used the hand controller to move it out of parked and on to Polaris.  It's a small move, but then it's no longer in park.  You can see that the scope is on Polaris in my Stellarium screen capture above.

Then I selected Arrai as the new target to slew to.  And I expected the scope to slew, but it didn't.  Instead, it gave another "can't slew" message.

So, if I moved the scope out of park, then selected a new target, why did the slew command fail?

Specifically what was the "can't slew" message? If it was the same one, "Can't slew a telescope which is parked..." then I would say that unparking with the handbox "fooled" the ASCOM driver, which still thought it was parked. This might be considered a bug in the ASCOM driver (reports that the mount is parked when in fact it is not parked due to having been unparked with the handbox). I am not a Stellarium expert but... if you can unpark it from within Stellarium using the computer to do the unpark, I will guess that it will work fine. In general, mixing handbox activity and computer control (ASCOM or not) is not a good idea. 

Edited by Bob Denny, 06 January 2020 - 07:56 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics