•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium direct ASCOM Support Testers wanted

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#151 Jerry Hubbell

Jerry Hubbell

Vendor-Explore Scientific

• Vendors
  • Loc: Locust Grove, VA, USA

Posted 25 June 2020 - 12:01 PM

Sorry Jerry, I thought you had written, in that thread, that you hadn't yet used the ASCOM beta release for telescope control.  I know you had written that, at that time, you hadn't had any problems with the beta release but I thought you had said you didn't put telescope control through its paces.  I know that other users, farther down in the thread in the PMC-8 group did indeed have problems with the beta version of ASCOM (using the EXOS2 mount, I believe)...   then reverted back to 6.4 and all was well again.  This was including telescope control.  I, personally, never tried the beta version but I know others were reporting frustrating problems and then reverting back to version 6.4.  

Patrick

Hi Patrick,  no worries. I tested the release on my laptop with an iEXOS 100 mount, and then after I was satisfied that it didn't break anything, I upgraded our observatory platform and it seems to work fine. I actually did this before the most recent firmware update to the PMC-Eight. Everything still seems to be working okay, at least I haven't had any reports of weird stuff from the other astronomers. Problems could be system related in terms of Windows updates and such, or hardware configurations, who knows.

Thanks

• PatrickVt likes this

#152 RVVCUDA

RVVCUDA

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 July 2020 - 03:05 AM

This worked great for me with Stellarium 20.1 and ASCOM 6.4, then I updated to Stellarium 20.2 and ASCOM 6.5, These two did not play well together resulting in two crashes/total freeze and with the 2nd one it required format and re-install of everything as EQMOD had corrupted the port communications and could no longer connect to the mount.  All good again using 20.1 and 6.4 which is working perfect!  I will not update again until this gets sorted....  A shame! I hope it gets fixed in future releases...

Robert

• PatrickVt likes this

#153 Domer

Domer

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA, USA

Posted 28 August 2020 - 06:32 PM

Hi Gion,

Great work on the ASCOM drivers and thanks so much for putting in the time and effort to make Stellarium an even better utility.

I'm trying to control my new iOptron CEM40 with Stellarium. I originally followed online videos that instruct you to use Stellarium Scope, and that worked provided that I selected the "External software or a remote computer" option. I could not get it to work if I selected the "Stellarium, directly through a serial port" or the "ASCOM" options, both of which seemed more applicable to me since I have the CEM40 connected to the laptop directly over a USB cable.

Then I saw this in the latest user manual:

"Note that Stellarium supports ASCOM telescopes natively since version 0.19.3. There’s no
need to use StellariumScope in order to use your ASCOM telescopes with Stellarium anymore. We
are encouraging our users to switch to the native ASCOM option going forward and the use of
StellariumScope is most likely not recommended in the future, unless you need particular features."

But if I try to connect the CEM40 from within Stellarium without using Stellarium Scope, it doesn't connect no matter which option I select.

I also need the ASCOM driver to simultaneously support PHD2.  So what is the proper way to connect my mount?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

#154 gionk

gionk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 August 2020 - 01:10 AM

Hi Domer

Did you went throught with the ASCOM device chooser and selected the iOptron ASCOM device?

For connecting multiple clients to the same ASCOM device (phd2, stellarium and SGP for example) I was always using ASCOM.Hub as a device which is there for exactly this purpose.

Cheers
Gion

#155 Domer

Domer

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA, USA

Posted 29 August 2020 - 09:20 AM

Hi Domer

Did you went throught with the ASCOM device chooser and selected the iOptron ASCOM device?

For connecting multiple clients to the same ASCOM device (phd2, stellarium and SGP for example) I was always using ASCOM.Hub as a device which is there for exactly this purpose.

Cheers
Gion

Yes, I selected the iOptron ASCOM driver.  But I posted this in the Stellarium forum as well and one of the developers (gzotti) wrote this:

"the recent update to 6.5 apparently broke something. We hope to have that fixed soon, though."

So that may explain the problem.

• RossW likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics