•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Yet another wifi question/problem

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 descott12

descott12

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:23 AM

Hello All,

I have been scanning this forum and I see a ton of problems with the built in wifi on the Evolutions but I am not sure if my issue is the same or not. My mount is less than a year old and the wifi/SkyPortal connection worked great until recently. Now all of a sudden, I can run for 30 or 50 minutes, then maybe only 5 minutes (very random) and I get the following error popup. The wifi on the mount is working and the iPhone can connect to it but the SkyPortal app cannot connect. So I have to cycle power and re-align. Very frustrating. And the mount is only 5 feet away and I am and have  always used direct connect mode.

Any ideas?  I am thinking of getting one of the wifi dongles but would like to get this working if possible.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.png

#2 skaiser

skaiser

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:45 AM

Dave

When you connect to your scope's WiFi, what is the description you see?

The first generation WiFi modules show up as SkyQLink (RN-171)

The second generation WiFi module is identified as  (AMW006).

That  3rd generation WiFi modules is identified as (AMW007)

If you scope is truly a "newer" unit it should have the 2nd or 3rd generation module.

My understanding of the "problem" connection is not a signal strength issue, but one of garbled  communications.

• Xeroid likes this

#3 descott12

descott12

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:40 AM

It is definitely not an old one.  It is labeled as CELESTRON-D0A.

It think it is D ZERO A. I would hate think it is actually DOA!

Oddly, before I sent it back for repairs it had different identifier (although I don't recall if it was AMW....) so something was changed possibly even though the repair order did not mention the main board or the wifi being fixed.

Edited by descott12, 10 October 2019 - 11:12 AM.

• NMBob likes this

#4 saguaro

saguaro

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:44 AM

Dave

When you connect to your scope's WiFi, what is the description you see?

The first generation WiFi modules show up as SkyQLink (RN-171)

The second generation WiFi module is identified as  (AMW006).

That  3rd generation WiFi modules is identified as (AMW007)

If you scope is truly a "newer" unit it should have the 2nd or 3rd generation module.

My understanding of the "problem" connection is not a signal strength issue, but one of garbled  communications.

I believe the only way to see which version you have is to connect to CFM (Celestron Firmware Manager). I don't think you can see the version number by just connecting to the scope's WiFi. That's how I verified that I have the latest WiFi module (plug-in dongle) by connecting to CFM.

#5 MickTaurus

MickTaurus

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:04 AM

I had the same error with sky portal wifi module and my iPad, I rebooted iPad and it worked.

Might help you.

#6 sanbai

sanbai

Explorer 1

• Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:17 AM

Are you using Skyportal or Skysafari? They are not identical. For example, Skysafari in Android cannot run now Starsense, but Skyportal does.
That issue will take long to solve. It seems a key person at Celestron is on parental leave (and that has all my understanding!)

In any event, aside of the starsense issue, I have no problems with Skyportal not Skysafari (Android) with my Evolution (bought in May). I updated early June, I think. If new versions are available, I don't know and I don't have interest in them at the moment (it works, so I don't want to mess up).

#7 descott12

descott12

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:51 AM

I have the same issue with SkyPortal and SkySafari both on iOS. t doesn't seem to matter. I am not using StarSense.

#8 nic35

nic35

Viking 1

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:59 AM

Here's a long shot:

At one time there was a reported interference problem between USB 3.0 and 2.4 gHZ communications.  See https://www.intel.co...ence-paper.html .  I'm not sure this is still an issue, but I had trouble of this sort in the past that was solved by operating on the 5.0 gHZ channel. Unfortunately, not something you can do with the evolution wireless.

Since you are running the 294, I assume you are using the USB 3.0 cable.  

You might try using a USB 2.0 cable to connect the camera to whatever you are using to control it.  I don't know, but perhaps this causes the connection to run in USB 2.0 mode.  Of course, the downside is that you lose a lot of bandwidth - but you can probably overcome this if your exposures are long-ish (4-8 seconds) and you set the frame rate in SC to something like 1 frame every other second.

good luck

#9 descott12

descott12

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:38 PM

Here's a long shot:

At one time there was a reported interference problem between USB 3.0 and 2.4 gHZ communications.  See https://www.intel.co...ence-paper.html .  I'm not sure this is still an issue, but I had trouble of this sort in the past that was solved by operating on the 5.0 gHZ channel. Unfortunately, not something you can do with the evolution wireless.

Since you are running the 294, I assume you are using the USB 3.0 cable.  

You might try using a USB 2.0 cable to connect the camera to whatever you are using to control it.  I don't know, but perhaps this causes the connection to run in USB 2.0 mode.  Of course, the downside is that you lose a lot of bandwidth - but you can probably overcome this if your exposures are long-ish (4-8 seconds) and you set the frame rate in SC to something like 1 frame every other second.

good luck

Thanks for the advice. I do recall reading about that. It would possibly explain the apparently random nature of problem. I wonder if running the cable differently to keep more distance might help...

Of course, this never used to be a problem and my setup hasn't changed.

#10 jgauthi845

jgauthi845

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Alexandria, LA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:48 PM

Make sure you have no other devices that are connected to the scopes Wi-Fi. I have an older Iphone I use to connect to my Nexstar that I have set up just for the scope. Has worked perfect for a couple of months. Last night I tried to connect to the scope and got the same error you are having. I went inside and checked my phone I use everyday and it was connected to the scope. I made it forget the Celestron wi-fi network and turned off auto join and reconnected immediately to the scope with my dedicated iphone that I use for the scope. I have turned off auto join on all of my phones-tablets and computers for the Celestron wi-fi connection so I don't know how it reconnected last night. 

#11 descott12

descott12

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:52 PM

Make sure you have no other devices that are connected to the scopes Wi-Fi. I have an older Iphone I use to connect to my Nexstar that I have set up just for the scope. Has worked perfect for a couple of months. Last night I tried to connect to the scope and got the same error you are having. I went inside and checked my phone I use everyday and it was connected to the scope. I made it forget the Celestron wi-fi network and turned off auto join and reconnected immediately to the scope with my dedicated iphone that I use for the scope. I have turned off auto join on all of my phones-tablets and computers for the Celestron wi-fi connection so I don't know how it reconnected last night. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I will test that tonight. I do have an Android tablet that I normally use to RDP to my capture machine. But that uses my home wifi, not the scope's wifi. But...it may have tried to auto-connect without me knowing it.

#12 Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:05 PM

Around my house where there are lots of competing wifi signals from neighbors, I have never had my trouble with my older Evo, but as I mentioned in another post, I had difficulty connecting when I was out in  snowpark with no other wifi around.  I was close to my Chevy Suburban which has a lot of metal, though I would not have thought that would cause a problem.  

I have seen that same message, but I don't recall the exact circumstances right now.  I think the fix was to shut down the IOS device and reboot. 

#13 descott12

descott12

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:33 PM

I have seen that same message, but I don't recall the exact circumstances right now.  I think the fix was to shut down the IOS device and reboot. 

For me, the only way to get out of this is to restart the mount, re-connect the iOS device and restart SkyPortal. I have never had to reboot the iPhone, however.

#14 sanbai

sanbai

Explorer 1

• Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:30 PM

Indeed, I once had problems setting the connection. Then, I told the phone to forget the wifi and set it up again without problem. The phone have to ask me to go on when it sees this connection had no internet. (Android).
I had the issue after several weeks of using only HC, not the app.

#15 descott12

descott12

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:39 PM

I just checked. The Android device that I thought might have interfered was not connected as far as I can tell.

#16 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Vanguard

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:33 PM

Owning a first generation Evolution I suffered from the worst case scenario WiFi. I progressed through each generation of WiFi dongle up to the latest and still suffered from the odd drop out with the third generation. But I have now seen a massive improvement. The solution was to improve the house WiFi. 

I purchased three of British Telecoms new wireless extender discs that use MESH technology. Adjacent to my router I would previously see speeds of 50+ Mbps. Adjacent to my Netgear EX8000 wireless extender I saw speeds of 30+ Mbps. But in my observatory 6 metres further away from that it dropped to merely 6 Mbps. The negative impact of brick walls and mere space in between was dramatic.

Having replaced the Netgear EX8000 wireless extender with disc2, and putting disc3 in my observatory I am now seeing a signal strength exceeding 50+ Mbps in all three locations. I think this new BT kit is awesome for UK residents. I guess the USA has similar. 

Edited by Noah4x4, 10 October 2019 - 06:34 PM.

#17 NMBob

NMBob

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:05 PM

That message will (also) come up when you forget to tighten the clutches, or it runs into a stop, when talking to a Nexus box on a GM-8 mount. :) SkySafari thinks the mount should be moving, but the encoders are not ticking.

After this last update I can run my Gen 2 Evo mount on the internal WiFi and it only "fails" (SkySafari just locks up for 20-30 seconds) a few times during the evening. The update earlier in the year made me buy one of the dongles. So make sure your firmware is up to date.

#18 descott12

descott12

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:15 PM

That message will (also) come up when you forget to tighten the clutches, or it runs into a stop, when talking to a Nexus box on a GM-8 mount. smile.gif SkySafari thinks the mount should be moving, but the encoders are not ticking.

After this last update I can run my Gen 2 Evo mount on the internal WiFi and it only "fails" (SkySafari just locks up for 20-30 seconds) a few times during the evening. The update earlier in the year made me buy one of the dongles. So make sure your firmware is up to date.My f

My firmware should be very up to date as the mount has just returned from Celestron for the SECOND time this summer to fix tracking/motor problems.  I have been running tonight for almost 2 hours without any trouble. So go figure???

Did getting the dongle help? I have no problem spending a small amount of money to solve this problem.

#19 NMBob

NMBob

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:39 PM

Problem solved. Good job! :) I hate it when that happens.

All last year mine was fine, then that update in the spring broke it. I didn't know that's what it was so bought the dongle. That worked fine, but now since the most recent update it's back to its normal decent without the dongle. I think the dongle has a little stronger signal, so that may help a little, but I now just keep it as a backup.

I didn't know the mounts had problems when I bought one, but sent the first one back within hours of getting it, because the WiFi was really bad. I know now it was a Gen 1. This second one has been fine, except for earlier this year.

I haven't had this one apart, but most of the body panels come off easily on an SE mount. There are a lot of slide-together connectors inside to connect everything to the electronics boards. One of them could just be loose.

#20 descott12

descott12

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Today, 08:34 AM

Update: I have used the mount for a few hours at a time on 2 or 3 occurrences and have not had a single failure. Not sure why it works now and it didn't before.

Celestron was nice enough to send me a free wifi dongle as a fix. I haven't received it yet but I really haven't needed it. However it will be nice to have it as a backup.

They did recommend making sure the iOS device does not go to the sleep screen as it has to re-connect to the mount each time it awakens. I did turn sleep off but that never seemed to be a problem in the past. Who knows....

Edited by descott12, Today, 09:35 AM.

• NMBob likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics