•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

16x50 first impression and question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 erin

erin

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: MA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:55 AM

Hi everyone! So, I bit the bullet and ordered a pair of the Nikon AE 16x50. I know I like 12x, but I really wanted to see what 16x is like, especially with such light-polluted skies. Thanks to all who offered their experiences and advice.

I went the 16x AE over the 16x Aculon despite the narrower FoV because of the eye relief and weatherproofing. No night sky time yet, but my initial impressions are very favorable. The build quality is quite good and it is very solid. I had a 10x50 pair of the Aculons and I liked them very much, but I like the extra heft of the AE a bit better. The glass and coatings look great and the eye cups twist up nice and stay in place well. 

Daytime views so far are good. Great color rendition and I like the extra power. The image does not seem dim compared to my former 10x. I can really see details of trees and animals across the pond out back (maybe 70 yards away?). One thing I do notice and I think this is normal due to the high mag is there is not a lot of depth of field, so I do find myself refocusing a lot more than I did with my 10x. I would guess that once focused on infinity, little to no adjustment would be needed. Is that correct? Oh, and I am using them on a tripod.

I will be sure to post some thoughts after I get it out under the stars. 

smile.gif

• Swedpat, terraclarke and Astroman007 like this

#2 Antonio R.G

Antonio R.G

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:30 AM

Great choice. I have the Aculon 16x50 (I do not wear glasses to observe) and it is very, very good ... I think it is the best 16x50 I have ... I have good Tento 16x50 Bak4 and other older Japanese ones and this one easily surpasses them .. on a stable tripod will give you wonderful views. Action 16x50 should be the same, with a different lens or eyepiece to increase the eye relief. I was surprised by this binocular when I bought it, I expected a dark image, without definition and difficult to focus, but it is quite the opposite ... very good with a tripod ... I am not very supportive of large increases but when I find something of quality it is welcome..
  • erin likes this

#3 erin

erin

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:41 AM

Hi Antonio, I’m glad you are happy with your Aculons! I was so torn between the two models. The wider FoV is nice in the Aculon. I have been practicing a bit more and am having an easier time focusing. 

One thing I notice different from the 10x Aculon is less of the fishbowl effect on the outer 30-40% of the field. I don’t know the technical name for it. It could have been field curvature since focusing made it go away, mostly-except for the very edge.

#4 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Terra Nova Observatory

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:34 PM

16x50 binoculars make for a useful and interesting alternative for sure. They wouldn’t suffice for me as my general purpose binocular, but I do love the higher power option in a small, light, easily handheld body. Even my old Manon 16x50s produce very bright sharp images. When I got them they were in terrible need of collimation. Probably why I got them for such a good price. But since I collimated them, I have been very happy with their performance. Collimation wound up being quite easy with the Manons. The end-rings over the objectives unscrew and once removed, the individual cells are like cams that are rotated in their counter-cells to bring them into alignment. I simply removed the end-rings, mounted the binocs on a tripod, aimed them at a distant sign and rotated the objectives by trial and error until they snapped into a nice image; then put the end-rings back on. They have remained collimated ever since.  When I got them, they weren’t in a case and that may have accounted for their mis-collimation. I have since found a very nice small aluminum case.they are great for birds and airplanes! Not bad at night either.

Attached Thumbnails

• 864AB193-6AE0-454A-A0A9-0467B1412C7B.jpeg

Edited by terraclarke, 10 October 2019 - 03:39 PM.

• hallelujah, erin, Antonio R.G and 1 other like this

#5 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:49 PM

Congrats Terra on the binos!

I like the inscription: Deluxe Lens

Wishing you many amazing views,

JG

• terraclarke likes this

#6 erin

erin

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:14 PM

16x50 binoculars make for a useful and interesting alternative for sure. They wouldn’t suffice for me as my general purpose binocular, but I do love the higher power option in a small, light, easily handheld body. Even my old Manon 16x50s produce very bright sharp images. When I got them they were in terrible need of collimation. Probably why I got them for such a good price. But since I collimated them, I have been very happy with their performance. Collimation wound up being quite easy with the Manons. The end-rings over the objectives unscrew and once removed, the individual cells are like cams that are rotated in their counter-cells to bring them into alignment. I simply removed the end-rings, mounted the binocs on a tripod, aimed them at a distant sign and rotated the objectives by trial and error until they snapped into a nice image; then put the end-rings back on. They have remained collimated ever since.  When I got them, they weren’t in a case and that may have accounted for their mis-collimation. I have since found a very nice small aluminum case.they are great for birds and airplanes! Not bad at night either.

That's great, Terra! I'm glad you like yours. Yeah, I thought about 15x70s, but that small, light weight package is nice.

I have my 8x42 roofs for general use and a little pair of 12x25s for hikes when I feel like more magnification and just carrying them in my pocket. I have officially become and optics junkie! lol.gif

• terraclarke likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics