•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C5 corrector cover

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pselaphid

pselaphid

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Baton Rouge Louisiana

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:22 PM

I got a very nice wrinkle black C5/f10 telephoto from ebay that came without the corrector cover. I'm not particular about getting an original cap, although it would be nice, and figured I'd inquire if anyone has come up with a functional and stylish alternative that will protect it while it rides in the front seat of the car. OD is 5 3/4" (147mm), ID is 5 9/16 (141mm). I've searched using various combinations of likely key words on Amazon and Ebay, but nothing obvious has popped up. I even tried drum heads, but they don't seem to be available in small sizes like that.

• retroman2 likes this

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:53 PM

You can always have someone 3D print one.  Tons of people have 3D printers and this job would fit on the vast majority of 3D printers made today.

Here is a Fusion 360 design I just did for you.  I made the inner diameter 151mm so you would have some room for some felt pads. 

C5 Lens Cap.jpg

PM me if you want the .stl file.  Any friend with a 3D printer will know what to do with it.  Probably less than $.20 worth of plastic. PLA would work if it is not subject to a lot of direct sun or heat. 

This took about 3 minutes to make, but if you don't like it, you can have your friend do one to your specs.  Caps are ultra-easy to make even in the most basic 3D design programs.  Just two cylinders. 

• eros312 and retroman2 like this

#3 pselaphid

pselaphid

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:04 PM

Hooray! Thanks. I thought about 3D printing but know nothing about it. I think the Dept. here at LSU where I work part time has one of those devices, so I'll check into that. That's a lot nicer than the plastic lid I found in my kitchen. I'll send you a pm for the file.

Chris 

• retroman2 likes this

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:16 PM

Well, this file will go into a slicer and that is used to actually do the print but anyone that knows how to run a 3D printer (a lot of people these days) will know what to do with it.  (They may need to flip it).

If they are really nice, they will print it in Nylon or PETG.  Both are harder to print with, but if they have a lot of experience and a good printer, either of these will be better, though PLA will be just fine if it is not subject to a lot of direct sun and heat (don't leave it in the car on a hot day).  Nylon is best if it is going to be in the car a lot.  

Enjoy!

Edited by Eddgie, 10 October 2019 - 02:20 PM.

#5 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:21 PM

A lot of public libraries also have 3D printers these days, and there are usually some geeky kids around that would do it for you....

#6 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Ranger 4

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:18 PM

I have a 3d printer and would be happy to print one for you.

I also have a C5 arriving tomorrow so I could check the fit. There is some shrinkage with ABS.. about 3% in my experience.

#7 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Ranger 4

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:18 PM

I have a 3d printer and would be happy to print one for you if my printer bed is large enough.

I also have a C5 arriving tomorrow so I could check the fit. There is some shrinkage with ABS.. about 3% in my experience.

Edited by Tom Stock, 10 October 2019 - 05:19 PM.

#8 pselaphid

pselaphid

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:46 PM

Thanks, but I think I've got it lined up with someone. Now I want a 3D printer though!

Chris

#9 Old Man

Old Man

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:33 PM

I don't know about the telephoto C5, but my C5+ has a pin located top center and bottom center on the outside of the tube. The original cover has slots allowing the dust cover to line up and slide on very smooth and easy with the felt liner.

Also while the are printing a dust cover, have them print you a dew shield, it fits on the inside edge of the tube with locator pins on the tube then twists with the slots in the shield to lock it in place. Should be very easy with a good 3D printer.

Mike

#10 pselaphid

pselaphid

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:40 PM

This is an old version, s/n stamp 890. No pins anywhere. I think the original cap was an external friction fit. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics