•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DSS vs PixInsight for stacking

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Waterobert

Waterobert

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Laguna Niguel, California , USA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:38 PM

I did stacking in DSS , however yesterday I downloaded PixInsight and I am wondering if I should redo stacking in the new software. DSS is much simpler to use 😂😂😂

#2 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendors
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:46 PM

What makes you say that?

you can integrate in two ways in Pix 

1. manually - calibrating / align and integrate the frames using the stand alone processes or...

2. Use Batch Preprocessing script

I have tested both and in my data unless I have done something daft BPP produces as good as result as manually doing it

Use BPP script - load lights - darks and my calibrated dark flats - choose master dark - master flat - uncheck CFA - hit go 

it will run its processing script and deliver you a final image without further intervention (normally) 

not much different from DSS 

I have tried it manually and I find it really hard to see much difference - my old PC would run it overnight as well as its was pretty slow - my new server processes what took 4 hrs or so in under 2 mins - so its not so much an issue but I still prefer to load everything in and hit go!

Once you get your head around Pix (and I do recommend buying Warren Keller's book and doing it manually a few times so you understand whats going on during BPP) then I find it as easy to do 

I might come across odd sets of data that I have to do manual but I found BPP does a pretty good job - give it a whirl smile.gif

cheers

Simon 

Edited by ZL4PLM, 10 October 2019 - 02:47 PM.

• timmbottoni, Jim Waters and johrich like this

#3 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:12 PM

I have tested both and in my data unless I have done something daft BPP produces as good as result as manually doing it

Use BPP script - load lights - darks and my calibrated dark flats - choose master dark - master flat - uncheck CFA - hit go 

it will run its processing script and deliver you a final image without further intervention (normally) 

not much different from DSS 

You can tell BPP just to 'calibrate' you images and run StarAlignment manually which is what I do.

IMHO - PixInsight is much better than DSS as far as calibration and alignment.  PixInsight is significantly better than DSS post processing...

• tcchittyjr likes this

#4 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:21 PM

I am wondering if I should redo stacking in the new software. DSS is much simpler to use

Yes - redo using Lights, Darks, BIAS and Flats.  Use Batch Preprocessing - BatchPreprocessing.

PixInsight isn't that complicated.  There are many YouTube video's that walk through the entire process.  A through Z.

#5 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendors
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:29 PM

You can tell BPP just to 'calibrate' you images and run StarAlignment manually which is what I do.

IMHO - PixInsight is much better than DSS as far as calibration and alignment.  PixInsight is significantly better than DSS post processing...

So that's three modes Jim :)

Of course cal only too ;) my bad

• Jim Waters likes this

#6 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:33 PM

Here is one of the A through Z video sets Jim was talking about. I started PI using Astro Dude's "Pixinsight for absolute beginners" 12 video series.

https://www.youtube....h?v=HIXJJqew6rQ

• Jim Waters and johrich like this

#7 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:53 PM

Astro Dude's "Pixinsight for absolute beginners" 12 video series.

https://www.youtube....h?v=HIXJJqew6rQ

This is one of the better video's.  Walk through the entire series.

• guyroch and scadvice like this

#8 Waterobert

Waterobert

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Laguna Niguel, California , USA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:37 PM

This is one of the better video's.  Walk through the entire series.

This is how I got my first image processed:  

I had videos running on one laptop while I was working on my data on the other lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

I did skip few steps and did stacking in DSS since I played with it once before. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics