•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Boxes, containers, etc., to transport your stuff

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Garyth64

Garyth64

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:34 PM

This could have gone into another topic, but I decided to start here (in my favorite thread)

When you go to outreach events, I take my scope, it's mount, eyepieces, accessories, and other things that I may need.

So,  I have a case for the scope, one for the mount, one for the tripod, a couple of eyepiece boxes, a tool kit, and one for misc.  I transport a lot of stuff.  I sometimes even take two scopes.

What do you guys do for all the stuff you need?

#2 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:49 PM

I have TWO covered tub's,  FOUR suitcases and ONE Husky rolling box... and a pickup. lol.gif

• Garyth64 likes this

#3 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:57 PM

Toyota Tacoma 4x4, scope

One eyepiece Case

attachicon.gif PlanoCaseCN.jpg

One Accessory Case

attachicon.gif IMG_0971.JPG

Both are a little different now.

Nice...!  Can I come and observe with you...  grin.gif

No filters???

Edited by Jim Waters, 10 October 2019 - 04:57 PM.

#4 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:57 PM

One Eyepiece Case (Plano Gun Case)

One Accessory Case (Pelican 1600)

#5 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:59 PM

Toyota Tacoma 4x4, scope

Nice...!  Can I come and observe with you...  grin.gif

No filters???

Deleted that post as the pics were outdated (EP Case is now Ethos no longer Delos)

I have Lumicin UHC/OIII and DGM NPB + Orion H-Beta in the Acc Case.

#6 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:15 PM

Both my Oberwerk binoculars have their hard "suitcases," my Fujinons have their comfy shoulder bag, and my TV-85 has its original padded one-hand-carry soft case.

The only things I have that receive no special packaging (and wouldn't beyond careful stowage in the back seat if I was traveling) are my two mount / tripod combos.

Of course, that's barely an issue since I have yet to travel much distance beyond the front of my driveway.

#7 bumm

bumm

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Iowa

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:30 PM

The "tough stuff"  like my chair, table, tripod, and wedge, just get tossed into the back of the car.  My C8 rides in it's original footlocker, slightly modified with a bump on top to accommodate a larger finder and pointer mount with various cutouts and holes in the foam liner to hold small stuff, and a sort of seatbelt web harness to make it a little easier to carry.  I recently built a big cabinet on my back porch to get all this stuff closer to the car, but that's a story for a different thread.

Marty

Attached Thumbnails

• Footlocker Thing  (5).jpg
  • footlocker thing (1) .jpg

• Pete W, terraclarke, bbqediguana and 3 others like this

#8 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:34 PM

SCTs go in the front seat with some padding and bungee cords. Mount, tripods, and battery pack go in the back with rear seats folded down. Their eyepieces and accessories are in a Pelican case. Refractors go in their wood boxes, which have eyepiece holders and space for mounts and tripods. I have a folding shop stand/table with removable legs that slips in behind the front seats. 

Chip W. 

• Garyth64 likes this

#9 bumm

bumm

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Iowa

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:36 PM

My commonly used atlases and miscellaneous stuff reside in this box I made many years ago for the purpose.  The contents are different now, but the pics show the general idea.

Marty

Attached Thumbnails

• case.jpg
  • case (2).jpg
  • case (3).jpg

• Paul Hyndman, Jaimo!, Pete W and 8 others like this

#10 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:23 PM

Here's one of my many Structured Cellulose Storage/Transport cubes.

001.jpg

• Vesper818, DreamWeaver, roscoe and 5 others like this

#11 Garyth64

Garyth64

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:10 AM

Maybe I just take too much stuff to a star party.

Here's some of the boxes that I'll take to an event:

Boxes of stuff.jpg

Not shown is the Husky box for the mount, the tripod, or the small husky box for the battery.

If I take two scopes, the second one would be a 3" or 60mm refractor.  They would have a box for the OTA and their tripod and mount.

Maybe I just take too much stuff.

• Pete W, terraclarke, bbqediguana and 1 other like this

#12 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:32 AM

being a cabinetmaker, I have a small fleet of cleverly sized wood boxes for my stuff, but because they ride in the back of my pickup, they are deliberately made of b-grade materials, often without any finish applied. 

The case for my Antares 120:

DSCN0920.JPG

The scope rides in saddles made from 2x6 framing lumber, lined with slightly squishy foam about 1/4" thick.  The piece in the lid squishes it down in enough that it doesn't move around in there.

For bigger events, like Stellafane, the back of my truck is 2/3 full of astro-stuff.... the 14 x 14 x 68" box that my 10" reflector lives in.... takes up a lot of that space all by itself.....

Usually, I just wrap tripods in shipping padded blankets, and the dob base gets put in atop everything else. 

Edited by roscoe, 11 October 2019 - 08:40 AM.

• Paul Hyndman, Pete W, Chuck Hards and 7 others like this

#13 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Terra Nova Observatory

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:28 PM

​Don’t forget Milk Crates! My telescopes and most of my tripods have their own cases, but everything else like eyepiece cases, binoculars, charts and atlases, flashlight, laser pointer, extra batteries, and even most mounts are transported in a couple of heavy duty (real dairy) pvc milk crates.

• roscoe likes this

#14 Pete W

Pete W

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Hutto, TX

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:16 PM

You guys with the slick boxes and crates make me self conscious!  Tripod, beat-up table & scratched-up chair in the trunk, usually separated by crumpled reusable cloth grocery bags.  EQ head n’stuff in a kitty litter bucket wedged in were I can fit it.  Scope across the back seat “secured“ with the seat belts. Eyepiece case, atlases (in a flimsy cloth “briefcase“) and binoculars in the passenger seat or on the floor.  

I guess I’ll regret this casual transport if/when I get into a fender bender...

• scadvice likes this

#15 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:17 PM

You guys with the slick boxes and crates make me self conscious!  Tripod, beat-up table & scratched-up chair in the trunk, usually separated by crumpled reusable cloth grocery bags.  EQ head n’stuff in a kitty litter bucket wedged in were I can fit it.  Scope across the back seat “secured“ with the seat belts. Eyepiece case, atlases (in a flimsy cloth “briefcase“) and binoculars in the passenger seat or on the floor.  

Wait...You have a scope and binoculars too? All we have are boxes suitcases and trunks. Nobody said anything about equipment just "stuff". scratchhead2.gif

• Pete W likes this

#16 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:31 PM

Pete, you can hang out with me.  Look for the cardboard boxes.

• Pete W likes this

#17 Pete W

Pete W

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:49 PM

waytogo.gif   Look for the pink & blue shower caps on my RV-6.

• Chuck Hards likes this

#18 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Viking 1

• Loc: Canada

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:16 PM

I picked up a nice leather case at our local Value Village a while back with the plans of sticking a 5" Mak into it - but it has morphed into carrying pretty much ALL my gear including my 70mm refractor which I can mount on my 8" SCT. So when I go out observing, I have the brown leather case, a small blue nylon bag with my 8" OTA in it, and my EQ5 tripod legs (the head and counter weights are in the brown leather case). Sometimes I take a little folding table and my Habs camping chair or a shop stool. I am in the process of acquiring a drummer's throne as my seat of choice. smile.gif

Astro Gear - Ready to Go!

#19 Garyth64

Garyth64

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:49 PM

Pete, you can hang out with me.  Look for the cardboard boxes.

As of now, the box I have for my CGEMII tripod is still it's cardboard box.  I put 1/4" wood in it to strengthen it.  But when dew starts forming, that cardboard just wilts.  So eventually, I plan on getting something much better for that tripod.

Edited by Garyth64, 11 October 2019 - 06:49 PM.

#20 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:31 PM

I second the cloth grocery bags! I only buy the insulated ones that have the internal bubble-wrap type material, to better pad the tripods and boxes in the back. Oh, and they're not bad for holding groceries, either.

The larger SCT in the front seat gets a seat belt too, but since it's the inertia-reel type, I rely mostly on the bungees. 

Chip W. 

• Pete W likes this

#21 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:30 PM

Liquor store boxes are the best.  

• terraclarke likes this

#22 Pete W

Pete W

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:29 PM

I second Terra’s true milk crates.   The goto carry-all with the 18”.  Great for Uranometrias and other hefty books plus the dob’s 80mm finder, shroud and binos.  And it fits between the wheelbarrow wheels for efficient packing.  

• terraclarke likes this

#23 CharlieB

CharlieB

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 12 October 2019 - 12:15 PM

Filter box holding my collection of 1.25 and .965 Optica b/c filters.  Yes, they do get used.  The 1.25 filters are complete, but the .965s still have a few holes. 

Attached Thumbnails

• filters case.jpg
  • Optica filters.jpg

• Pete W, deepwoods1, Chuck Hards and 3 others like this

#24 CharlieB

CharlieB

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 12 October 2019 - 12:17 PM

My favorite eyepiece box for my favorite eyepieces.

Attached Thumbnails

• eyepiece case.jpg
  • eyepieces.jpg

• Jaimo!, Pete W, roscoe and 4 others like this

#25 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Piccolomini Observatory

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:02 PM

Filter box holding my collection of 1.25 and .965 Optica b/c filters. Yes, they do get used. The 1.25 filters are complete, but the .965s still have a few holes.

Those are so pretty Charlie! I'd be finding a way to hang them up in a sunny window!
  • bumm likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics