•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Boxes, containers, etc., to transport your stuff

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:23 PM

Some great boxes here 

I like the milk crate method as well       it double as a stool for wee people

I have a cigar box for grab and go  outreach type eyepieces that I use for g and g..

Finally, I would like to suggest the use of yoga matts   yes yoga matts  for wrapping       protecting and laying stuff on. Laying one beneath a scope has saved an eyepiece or two...I keep one in the trunk of each car   great for keeping boxes from scuffing car interiors........

I learned this quite some time ago whenever Diane and my daughter Barbara would leave a used yoga matt in the garage   and then want new clean ones... the old ones were mine.   Yoga matts became so helpful. Place it on a bench or table and it protects the Violin, Mandolin Guitar  OTA or whatever you are working on from sliding or moving or dinging or scratching   Great for telescopes as well...I have  rolled one up  like the little Tasco I brought to NEAF ..........  lots of uses...........

just saying

Attached Thumbnails

• scopedollyc-102FullSizeRender.jpg

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 12 October 2019 - 04:32 PM.

• roscoe and deepwoods1 like this

#27 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:51 AM

When I load my truck for a star party, the first thing to go in over the plywood bed-liner is.... old yoga mats. 

• Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#28 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:34 PM

Here's the case for my Star-Liner 12.5 inch.

Very nice for transporting, if you have another pair of hands to help.

I heard these cases are pretty scarce because the scope was shipped in this case and ruff handling

tended to destroy the nice case.

The eq comes apart into one-person pieces without tools.

Robert

IMG_8021.jpg

IMG_8286.jpg

• Mr Magoo, deepwoods1, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#29 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:27 PM

That’s a pretty and really impressive looking Newtonian Robert. Dobsonians leave so much to be desired aesthetically.

• clamchip likes this

#30 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Piccolomini Observatory

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:00 PM

The Bushnell SkyRover 50mm, with tripod , zoom, diagonal and eyepiece needed better protection than the old cardboard box.
I stopped by the music store on a lark. The whole kit, with caboodle, fits perfectly in a nicely padded soft ukulele gig bag. I'll eventually cut foam to form fit, but happy with the arrangement.

#31 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:47 PM

I must've missed this thread when it started & even though none of the scopes we hauled around were "classics" I see a few pikkies that seem to overlook any real constraints from that angle: we travel all over the place with our C14 & I made a lovely case for our 6" f8 refractor that we used to own that was similar to roscoe's & Robert's. (clamchip) .

The C14 sits on an open "sled" (a thick piece of marine ply with 2 longitudinal 2x4 runners covered in a layer of those aforementioned yoga mats) which then rides on 2 layers of 2" foam on the floor in the rear of our Pathfinder - behind our dog in her basket - the ota is secured with a couple of heavy duty rubber straps fore & aft using eyelet screws on the runners...this has worked well for quite a few years now. wink.gif

We haven't been out for quite some time so I'll have to place it back in the vehicle (it spends a fair bit of time there anyway!) & take a pikky! smile.gif

#32 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:20 AM

Here's the case for my Star-Liner 12.5 inch.

Very nice for transporting, if you have another pair of hands to help.

I heard these cases are pretty scarce because the scope was shipped in this case and ruff handling

tended to destroy the nice case.

The eq comes apart into one-person pieces without tools.

Robert

attachicon.gif IMG_8021.jpg

attachicon.gif IMG_8286.jpg

I just love that scope Robert!

#33 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:37 AM

...here's our "C14 sled" back in the Pathfinder after I washed the outside of the corrector plate late this afternoon: after 26 years service my old twin-cylinder compressor motor packed up with a puff of smoke, throwing the circuit breaker in my workshop also...

I use the compressor with an air-gun & 2 inline water & oil traps to blow the corrector dry (I installed a thin neoprene gasket under the corrector retainer ring btw) after washing it with Dr. Clay's" & plenty of distilled water from a spray bottle before & after the Dr. C's: luckily my small compressor could finish the job! lol.gif

We cart the C14 everywhere on this sled, including rough tracks in the Oz Bush at times... wink.gif

C14Sled.jpg

• Vesper818, clamchip, bumm and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics