•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Xt10i Mirror Cleaning and Alignment

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 patindaytona

patindaytona

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:47 PM

Collimated all day. Long story short. I unscrewed the main bolt too far on secondary. The mirror fell off! I was terrified it was broke.

Didn't break, or slide down to hit primary. I accidentally grabbed the secondary earlier with finger tips and was pretty sick over that.

So, since it fell, i cleaned it real good (had finger prints on it).  I used a big flashlight and pointed my scope at it.

I could see the focus tube was not aligned ...far off. First time I could really tell (had to do with the bright flashlight centered on the primary donut.

Now, all concentrics aligned and the focus tube aligned also. I tried putting in the cheap chesire (before it was always an egg shape and not a complete circle opening).

Wow..........it's a perfect circle now and so is all the other concentrics. The cross hairs line up way way better than before.

When i turn the chesire though, the cross hairs do migrate some, but that's expected from focus tube slack etc.

For most part, i never had it so aligned before. I will test it out tonight.

So glad it's in perfect shape.

• Asbytec likes this

#2 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Viking 1

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:49 PM

Best of luck.  Let us know how it looks.

#3 patindaytona

patindaytona

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:43 PM

Thanks, was just out. Airy disk looked very good.

It was the focus tube that was so far off. Huge difference now.

Edited by patindaytona, 10 October 2019 - 10:59 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics