•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Your thoughts regarding antiseptic treatment for eyepieces

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Kiriakos_GR

Kiriakos_GR

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central, Greece

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:16 PM

Accidents happen all day long, an eyepiece it can fall in to the dirt, or your dog may find it interesting too and put it in his mouth.

Therefore the true question here this is how much you are educated and alerted regarding hygiene risks caused due dirty rubber eye-cups?

Are using any antiseptic treatment which disinfects an eyepiece (protecting the health of your own eyes)?

Are you alerted when buying used eyepieces?  By not be aware if these was used by a not healthy person

There are people which exchange their underwear once a month and I do not expect that they will post in this topic.
Therefore I do expect this thread to collect some usable advice's in favor of hygiene.

#2 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:26 PM

Not needed. Only thing needed is a proper frequent cleaning if used a lot, especially when lots of condensation occurs. If you get one used, get it under a bright light to inspect the condition and make sure to always ask for pictures of the top, eyepiece body and bottom field lens if buying used.

As far as the "my dog put it in it's mouth", or something of that nature, make sure it never happens by taking extra care.

Edited by Miranda2525, 10 October 2019 - 06:29 PM.

• Jim Waters, havasman and Augustus like this

#3 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:26 PM

That's a good point.  Especially if you do a lot of public outreach.  Pink Eye !!  Aagghhh !!

• Jim Waters and Miranda2525 like this

#4 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:30 PM

That's a good point.  Especially if you do a lot of public outreach.  Pink Eye !!  Aagghhh !!

Good points there. I did think about this, but I never do public outreach.

Edited by Miranda2525, 10 October 2019 - 06:31 PM.

#5 jerobe

jerobe

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:17 PM

After outreach events I always clean my eyepieces with 70% rubbing alcohol on cotton swabs.

#6 doug mc

doug mc

Viking 1

• Loc: Tamborine Mountain Australia

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:19 PM

A lot of people use alcohol as a eyepiece cleaner. Alcohol is a very good antiseptic.

#7 pkrallis

pkrallis

Mariner 2

• Loc: Colorado Springs, CO

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:32 PM

Peroxide, pure alcohol, are both good disinfectants that sparingly applied will not hurt the EP.  Apply with Q-Tips.  DO NOT DIP.

#8 HfxObserver

HfxObserver

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:34 PM

I take it you also don't drink from water fountains like THIS!

Generally I don't worry too much about it, though I have some pretty close contact eyepieces I don't use those with public. I recall David Levy telling a story about a woman with lipstick kissing his 31mm Nagler on the glass and the trouble he had getting it, the lipstick, off. 

Likely you are at greater risk just talking face to face with someone than the minimal contact they'd have with your equipment than coming into contact with those areas on your equipment. 

Chris 

• nicoledoula likes this

#9 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:03 PM

Meh... I guess you could just dip it in 99% isopropyl... if you're afraid of cooties. Nearly all of those things just stretch off and on. The thing is --- our environment is loaded with ~germs~ of all kinds.

Somewhere there's a happy middle ground in the spectrum running from blasé to cautious to obsessive to clinically-mysophobic.     Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 111.1 classic cootie bug.jpg

• Hugh Peck and BFaucett like this

#10 Spartinix

Spartinix

Ranger 4

• Loc: Crete, Greece

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:02 AM

Isopropyl > distilled water, every once in a while. For the optical surfaces, just a drop of Isopropyl in a small glass of distilled water.

#11 Kiriakos_GR

Kiriakos_GR

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:11 AM

So let’s summarize most frequents source of pollution over an eyepiece.

1) Flakes of skin
2) Sweat
3) Humidity from your own breath
4) Grease produced by your skin
5) What ever dust falling from the sky in your location (near by industrial site)
6) Moisture from the near by jungle (if you stay at the same neighborhood with Tarzan)
7) Rain of sea salt (if you are located next to a harbor)
8) If you are a lucky person then insects will not use your eyepiece as to be public WC
9) Dog playing with eyepiece by leaving it own DNA on it
10) A baby also grab the eyepiece and wants to taste it
11) Chemical reaction of the rubber eye-cup with the atmosphere, this will produce rubber dust this be also transferred directly over your skin too.
12) Home made rubber eye-cup made of rubber and other chemical composition never intended to contact human skin.

Regarding disinfection I would define it as soft and heavy treatment.
Soft treatment would be using disinfecting wipes (for baby) the ones are wet with common tea.
Alcohol as eyepiece cleaner, I would classify it as heavy treatment, because alcohol does not only remove live sources of pollution (organic) but also takes away life-cycle from any cheap Chinese rubber eye-cups.

The cleaning process (for any one thinks humidity as enemy) it can be at the morning and the eyepiece to left to dry for 15 minutes under daylight.

I do wonder if among us there is an ophthalmologist, he may possibly increase or reduce current hazards’ list length.

Edited by Kiriakos_GR, 11 October 2019 - 03:15 AM.

• Hugh Peck likes this

#12 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:22 AM

UV light perhaps.

#13 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Viking 1

• Loc: Charleston, South Carolina

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:14 AM

Bake your eyepieces in the oven at 450*F for two hours. It’ll kill all parasites and bacteria...

***DISCLAIMER: This post is PARODY and not to be taken literally!***

• Kunama likes this

#14 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Show Me State

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:56 AM

Bake your eyepieces in the oven at 450*F for two hours. It’ll kill all parasites and bacteria...

***DISCLAIMER: This post is PARODY and not to be taken literally!***

I was so excited after I saw your post I couldn't wait to try it out so I carefully placed my full set of eyepieces on a oven safe teflon tray, set oven temp to 450 and oven timer for 2 hrs. It wasn't until 45 mins later when I came back to CloudyNights looking for more clever tips that I happened to stumble back to your post and noticed your disclaimer (I could swear it wasn't there the first time). Frantically ran to the oven and snatched the hot tray full of eyepieces out of the oven with my bare hands causing serious first degree burns but I was so upset over seeing all the rubber from the eyeguards dripping down the sides that I didn't feel the brunt of the pain till after I had slammed down the hot tray on the kitchen table! Next time I suggest you start with a Disclaimer!!  You owe me and anyone else who took your friendly advice a full set of Tak Abbes! 

*** Disclaimer:   Did I say Tak, I meant Zeiss! I get those two confused.   rofl2.gif  

• scotsman328i and Hugh Peck like this

#15 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Viking 1

• Loc: Charleston, South Carolina

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:03 AM

I was so excited after I saw your post I couldn't wait to try it out so I carefully placed my full set of eyepieces on a oven safe teflon tray, set oven temp to 450 and oven timer for 2 hrs. It wasn't until 45 mins later when I came back to CloudyNights looking for more clever tips that I happened to stumble back to your post and noticed your disclaimer (I could swear it wasn't there the first time). Frantically ran to the oven and snatched the hot tray full of eyepieces out of the oven with my bare hands causing serious first degree burns but I was so upset over seeing all the rubber from the eyeguards dripping down the sides that I didn't feel the brunt of the pain till after I had slammed down the hot tray on the kitchen table! Next time I suggest you start with a Disclaimer!!  You owe me and anyone else who took your friendly advice a full set of Tak Abbes! 

*** Disclaimer:   Did I say Tak, I meant Zeiss! I get those two confused.   rofl2.gif  

Haha...this was great! LOL! Gave me a good chuckle this morning! Have a great one Moondust. 

#16 Kiriakos_GR

Kiriakos_GR

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:15 AM

Wash and baking of multimeter PCB (board) this is somewhat military style of cleaning of 70s recommended by FLUKE.

Nowadays they are much more options available. smile.gif  

#17 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:59 PM

Yet the dog licks your face and you think nothing of it, in fact, you might kiss the dog on its snout.....gawd only knows what the dog did before licking your face....

• scotsman328i, izar187, Hugh Peck and 1 other like this

#18 MartinPond

MartinPond

Aurora

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:46 PM

Peroxide, pure alcohol, are both good disinfectants that sparingly applied will not hurt the EP.  Apply with Q-Tips.  DO NOT DIP.

Truly pure alcohol (beyond 97%) is extremely expensive.

91% alcohol is easy to find at the drug store

...and it does not leave the residue that 70% does..

Add Windex or generic equivalent....it undermines biofilm on plastic and rubber,

doesn't hurt them, and cleans the glass too.  And....is a fairly good disinfectant.

• TOMDEY likes this

#19 Tom Masterson

Tom Masterson

Mariner 2

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Astro-Hell

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:11 PM

You touch surfaces every day that countless other strangers have touched, rub you eyes, put your fingers in your mouth and do all sorts of cross contaminating of surfaces. This takes place day after day.

There was/is a big push where I used to work to have disinfectant wipes available in every room. I used to chuckle at the futility of a person taking the time to wipe a phone handset off thinking they were protecting themselves from germs, then as they head home for the evening, push the hallway door open with their bare hands - the same hallway door hundreds of hands had pushed open just that one day alone.

You may take the time cleaning the eye cup of the eyepiece after a public event, but how many people touched the focuser knob then how many times did you adjust focus between viewers? What about the sides of the stepladder? confused1.gif

It shows just what a miracle the human immune system is. I clean my eyepieces when they get dirty. Never occurred to me to disinfect them after a public event. Now if I caught my dog chewing on an eyepiece like an old slobbery tennis ball, yeah, it would get a wipe down. vomit.gif  

• Jon Isaacs, Hugh Peck and TOMDEY like this

#20 Kiriakos_GR

Kiriakos_GR

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:39 AM

You may take the time cleaning the eye cup of the eyepiece after a public event ............................... 

Public event …. This is a third added dimension to hygiene problem.
In the positive side of things every person (participants’) they supposedly did basic homework on their home, about body wash and clean cloths.

But you might always be concerned about the eleven years old which recently enjoyed a large hamburger and ketchup and mustard traces are still available on his hands.

I will agree that human immune system it is a miracle, but time of response this no miraculous fast and therefore it should be challenged only reasonably.

I am now assuming that my personal behavior as scope owner in a public even this would be wearing gloves and politely asking the people to touch the white cleaning towel which includes (it is wet with)  alcohol based perfume of lemon. 

Telescope club members they should also inspire the youth in favor of hygiene and regarding telescope accessories use and maintenance.
Parents’ will positively evaluate such a move (action in to positive direction).  

Personally I am second generation electrician and my father was cleaning all his screwdrivers’ its time after use and then he was place them in storage.
I do follow this basic rule also in my life.

Clean tools it is a sign of respect and also your productivity gets also increased. 

Additionally in a public event you have also to worry regarding ladies loaded with make-up cream on their face, but on a second though the Plossl now creates a safer (longer) eyes relief distance most of times. lol.gif

The purpose of this thread this is us gaining awareness and do things right even when no one watching us.

• scotsman328i likes this

#21 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

Posted 12 October 2019 - 01:19 PM

Isopropyl > distilled water, every once in a while. For the optical surfaces, just a drop of Isopropyl in a small glass of distilled water.

Homeopathic disinfecting? Almost sounds like the germs might like it!    Tom

Edited by TOMDEY, 12 October 2019 - 01:24 PM.

#22 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

Posted 12 October 2019 - 01:43 PM

Thing is... one can go thru life obsessively wiping every surface and sneezing into sleeve and still touch one single ~other surface~ and wind up "contaminated". In the meantime... doesn't sleep enough, get enough exercise, relax, socialize. Even smelling the roses becomes suspect... for fear that some member of the ~unclean~ happened by and smelled them first! ... every other person, pet and object becomes an imagined hostile attack.

The world is a friendly, welcoming place. Get out, pet the dog, hug a stranger!    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 122 hug a dog.jpg

• HfxObserver, Jaimo!, clearwaterdave and 1 other like this

#23 wrvond

wrvond

Surveyor 1

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 12 October 2019 - 01:50 PM

I simply drink large quantities of alcohol and then blow on my eyepieces. It’s kind of a twofer, both the EP’s and I get sanitized.

Or is that “pickled”?  lol.gif

Edited by wrvond, 12 October 2019 - 01:51 PM.

• SteveG, Jaimo! and Hugh Peck like this

#24 Kiriakos_GR

Kiriakos_GR

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:57 PM

Thing is... one can go thru life obsessively wiping every surface and sneezing into sleeve and still touch one single ~other surface~ and wind up "contaminated". In the meantime... doesn't sleep enough, get enough exercise, relax, socialize. Even smelling the roses becomes suspect... for fear that some member of the ~unclean~ happened by and smelled them first! ... every other person, pet and object becomes an imagined hostile attack.

The world is a friendly, welcoming place. Get out, pet the dog, hug a stranger!    Tom

While all point of views are welcome and there is no criticism.

If you ever be hospitalized , it is wise to not mention to the doctors your likes and dislikes.  

There is no pets and humans equality regarding diseases.

The dog does not have the brain to take actions of how to stop be a parasites carrier, the human does that and actually  the vast majority which respects the rules set by society, about best serving of the common good and public health. 

Edited by Kiriakos_GR, 12 October 2019 - 05:57 PM.

#25 izar187

izar187

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:08 AM

If you drop an ep in the dirt, it would be really handy for the dog to find it in the dark and return it to your case.

You wouldn't have to toast your dark adaptation looking for it.

Might be possible to train him to catch it before it even hits the ground.

If eye hygiene is a concern with regard to eye pieces, then use only long eye relief eye pieces.

There are tons of +/- 20mm eye relief options available these days.

In many many fov ranges.

Folks are then safe.

Clean ep's for optical performance reasons, rather than out of fear.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics