•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Query re: winged eyecups for Fujinon 16x70 FMT-SX

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GabrielKnight

GabrielKnight

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:12 PM

G'Day All,

I recently picked up a pair of Fujinon 16x70 FMT-SX binoculars and am curious to know whether Fujinon still manufactures winged eyecups for the same. Having referenced related threads on CloudyNights, my understanding is that they do not.

However, the manual supplied with my binoculars - printed 2017 - still references the winged eyecups as an optional accessory.

Lastly, would these work with the Fujinon 16x70 FMT-SX?

https://teleskopy.pl... FMT SX FMTR SX

Cheers,

G.K.

#2 Foss

Foss

Viking 1

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:24 PM

For a back up plan, check out Baker Marine San Diego CA authorized Fujinon dealer/3rd gen optics repair. They make a great soft-rubber face shield with light-blocking winged eyecups.

https://www.bakermar...ular-faceshield

If interested, email the owner Brian to double check they fit your 16x70.

Good luck!

#3 GabrielKnight

GabrielKnight

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:57 AM

Thanks for that Foss.

Just ordered a binoshield and feel cobfident that they'll do the job. If not, will be sure to check out Baker Marine's custom face shield.

Cheers,

G.K.

#4 Blind as an Eagle

Blind as an Eagle

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:30 AM

Got my Fujinon replacement eye cups from Baker. Good outfit to do business with.

However I think they should be warranty items. It's not as if I didn't spend much for a new 10x, 50mm FMTR-SX binocular. 

#5 GabrielKnight

GabrielKnight

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 06:39 AM

Blind as An Eagle,

Yesterday evening a magpie took off with one of the objective lens caps for my 16x70 FMT-SX and dropped it into Sydney Harbour. Whilst not deserving of a warranty claim, I wish there existed a form of insurance to cover such exceptionally poor luck! I'll have to ask the birding crowd one day.

Fujinon does make it exceptionally hard to source spare parts and accessories though, which is why the Yanks are lucky to have such an extensive network of binocular dealers. At least you have a fighting chance of eventually sourcing what you're looking for. :-)

Regards,

G.K.

Edited by GabrielKnight, 12 October 2019 - 06:39 AM.

#6 GabrielKnight

GabrielKnight

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 08:02 PM

Somehow, I managed to slip on a pair of Swarovski winged eyecups over the eyepieces of the Fujinon 16x70 FMT-SX2. No easy task given the size of the oculars but, once affixed, they're a firm fit.

20191016 114757

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I've benefited immensely from eyecups in filtering out stray light. In this instance, however, the 'fix' may not suit everyone given the mediocre eye relief available. Though not always convenient, I'm relatively OK when observing without my specs and - absent a pair of genuine FMT-SX contoured eyecups - these appear to be a viable secondary solution.

G.K.

Edited by GabrielKnight, Yesterday, 08:04 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics