•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Moonlight, Bad Seeing and a TEC 160

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:36 PM

Got the 160 into the observatory today after its initial shakedown cruise at Okie Tex.

Set-up, balanced, polar aligned etc.

Moon nearly full, dreadful seeing.....  session started at 9C, finished at 5C.....

Mixed results on some pairs in Cassiopeia as selected by my Mach 1 mount which gives 9 pairs of widely differing parameters...it uses ADS designations but I have used their real WDS codes here.... Data from Stella Doppie..... As usual I observed 'blind' with no foreknowledge of the mags or sep......

Eyepieces 12mm Delos (93x  )    6-3 Nagler Zoom  (186x - 372x)

Hits:  

Eta Cas.  Never disappoints!  B is a strange colour....  magenta/brown/red?  

STF 3049.  4.99/7.24  3.1" -- Only briefly spotted B in the clear for about 2 seconds out of 2 minutes...seeing 2/10....

STT 508.  5.66/7.95  1.50" -- One fleeting glimpse of the secondary sitting on the first ring.  Definitive sight but it took a lot of waiting....

H N 122.  5.66/10.57  35.9" -- threw all my power at it.  Nothin'.  Then one last look at 93x....  A wide pair with a big delta mag!!  (Why AP chose this one is anybody's guess...)

BU 1101 AD.  4.68/10.00  19.1"   another wide pair with big delta mag.  Spotted this one right away with 93x.... yellow/blue?

Misses:  no split or hint of one on these..  sometimes for a good reason (bolded)

STF 283.  8.38/9.03  1.8"

STT 12.  5.33/5.62  0.10"   This is Lambda Cas a notoriously impossible pair.  But, hey, AP put it in there! 

BU 1028.  2.2/10.9  2.1"  With a delta of 8 mags this one is also pretty much impossible...

BU 513.  4.65/6.74  0.50"  Too close even on a perfect night.....

If there were better seeing I'd still be out there, despite the moon.  

IMG_3162.jpg

Dave

• R Botero, eros312, Ken Sturrock and 3 others like this

#2 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:45 PM

Of course, those doubles with large delta magnitudes are more difficult with a bright moon in the sky.

BTW, do you have an anti dew strip on that objective?

Edited by John Fitzgerald, 10 October 2019 - 08:47 PM.

#3 StarBurger

StarBurger

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: North Country NY

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:46 PM

Well done Dave. Looks like you were a happy man out there.

Not surprised about your misses. Tough by anyone's standards and kudos for trying.

#4 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:00 PM

Of course, those doubles with large delta magnitudes are more difficult with a bright moon in the sky.

BTW, do you have an anti dew strip on that objective?

John, there is a dew heater just behind the dewcap.  Can't really see it well in that pic.  

I run dew heaters on both objectives, the diagonal of the small scope (which heats the eyepiece enough) and on the eyepiece of the big scope.  The latter one I have in a circle which loosely fits my eyepieces -- easy on, easy off...

You can't observe at any time of the year here without dew heaters....

Dave

#5 flt158

flt158

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:00 PM

Hello, Dave. 

Many congratulations on your new Ivanhoe Observatory complete with your TEC 160 refractor. 

The only double star on your list in Cassiopeia which I have observed is Eta Cassiopeiae otherwise known as Achird. 

In my William Optics 158 mm I see the primary as yellow. 

But the secondary I find is almond brown. 

Sissy Haas states this in her Double Star book. 

It is an M class star; so it ought to be red. 

Thank you for your report. 

Clear skies to you, 

Aubrey. 

#6 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:34 PM

John, there is a dew heater just behind the dewcap.  Can't really see it well in that pic.  

I run dew heaters on both objectives, the diagonal of the small scope (which heats the eyepiece enough) and on the eyepiece of the big scope.  The latter one I have in a circle which loosely fits my eyepieces -- easy on, easy off...

You can't observe at any time of the year here without dew heaters....

Dave

Dave,

Dew is bad here also.  I put a 10 watt strip on the objective of my refractor in an Exploradome.  When pointed near the zenith it is vulnerable to dew even inside the dome.  Of course, no dew heaters needed on eyepieces or finders.

Why the roll off versus a small dome?  Space versus cost?  Convenience?

#7 ssmith

ssmith

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 12 October 2019 - 08:27 AM

Dave -

I'm very envious of your new 'killer" setup.  A TEC 140 is definitely on my wishlist.  The TEC production facility is only 30 miles from my home.

#8 ssmith

ssmith

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 12 October 2019 - 11:54 AM

Eyepieces 12mm Delos (93x  )    6-3 Nagler Zoom  (186x - 372x)

Hits:  
Eta Cas.  Never disappoints!  B is a strange colour....  magenta/brown/red?

Just so happened that I observed Eta Cass last night while also imaging STF3012 & 3013 which were the subjects of another thread.

Just as you noted the color of B is striking and rather unusual. Here is what I recorded. It is a single frame jpg - no processing.

24430CAE-26B0-4555-BFD4-5415CCA2A2BF.jpeg
  • dmdouglass and flt158 like this

#9 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2019 - 02:32 PM

Dave,

Dew is bad here also.  I put a 10 watt strip on the objective of my refractor in an Exploradome.  When pointed near the zenith it is vulnerable to dew even inside the dome.  Of course, no dew heaters needed on eyepieces or finders.

Why the roll off versus a small dome?  Space versus cost?  Convenience?

I would never be happy with only a small slit above my head while observing.  I like to have a full night sky as part of my viewing experience.

And a roll-off is waaaay easier to build...

Dave

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics