•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Very Disappointing Day

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:52 PM

Took a two hour drive this morning to try to capture an ISS solar transit. Got set up in a perfect little place right on the line with about ten minues to spare. ISS angular size: 43.15″; distance: 640.32 km Seeing was great. Watched it on the laptop as it passed directly through the center. Did a 2 1/2 video that overlapped the transit. It looked great. Thought it was going to be the best one I've done yet. Got home and found a great video of the sun ... but no ISS.  frown.gif  Anyone have any idea of what could have gone wrong?

This was the consolation prize.

Attached Thumbnails

• 13_38_47_101019.jpg

• eros312, Augustus and MalVeauX like this

#2 scngc7317

scngc7317

Ranger 4

• Loc: CA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:06 PM

Totally guessing but that black streak at the top could be it = frame rate to slow ?   hmm.gif  

#3 hopskipson

hopskipson

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:01 AM

Totally guessing but that black streak at the top could be it = frame rate to slow ?   hmm.gif  

No, that's a nice capture of a filament!

Belt, did you take any video before or after the transit?  I'm guessing that maybe you forgot to hit record at the critical moment.

• BeltofOrion likes this

#4 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:02 AM

No, that's a nice capture of a filament!

Belt, did you take any video before or after the transit?  I'm guessing that maybe you forgot to hit record at the critical moment.

Thanks, James and scngc7317. Definitely hit record 1 1/4 minutes before. Sat there watching the green bar scroll across while waiting for the transit to happen. But, I'm pretty sure I have it figured out now ... and you are both right.

I was rushing ... never a good thing where this stuff is concerned ... and I didn't notice I had my gain set way too low. As a consequence, the exposure (shutter speed) was too high and since the ISS is moving so fast I totally missed it. Comparable in terrestial photograph to trying to capture a fast moving object ... race car, arrow in flight, hummingbird's wings, etc ... with the shutter speed set too low. Just aren't going to stop the motion.

But I didn't think that ... ie low gain and high exposure  ... would introduce artifacts into the video. That is, I was pretty sure it was a filament ... but you had me questioning myself there for a while scngc7317. :-) 

Edited by BeltofOrion, 11 October 2019 - 09:03 AM.

#5 descott12

descott12

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:31 AM

But I didn't think that ... ie low gain and high exposure  ... would introduce artifacts into the video. That is, I was pretty sure it was a filament ... but you had me questioning myself there for a while scngc7317. :-) 

I am pretty sure that is real as I saw something identical yesterday and I think the day before.

• BeltofOrion likes this

#6 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 12 October 2019 - 07:51 AM

That’s a shame, but nice shot! The daytime transit I caught across the moon had me looking for the thing dozens of times until I finally saw it zooming across the disk. What was the duration of the transit?

#7 PilotAstronomy

PilotAstronomy

Explorer 1

Posted 12 October 2019 - 10:47 PM

Same thing happened to me on the moon about 6 months ago. Set up perfect, hit record, even saw it come across on the screen! Very exciting! Then when I went to pull the frames it skipped a bunch of them during the transit. Got a couple of the ISS approaching the moon then SKIP to just past it. So disappointing. Later, I figured it out I needed to use the buffer in Firecapture better. It was skipping all kinds of frames during every capture. Might be worth trying that for the next one. The good thing about ISS transits is as long as you're willing to move the scope around to different locations, you're bound to capture one before too long.

• BeltofOrion likes this

#8 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 10:53 PM

I have FireCapture, but I don't use it much. I use SharpCap. How do you use the buffer better? Is there a setting ... or do you just use a small ROI so that no ... or very little ... buffering takes place?

#9 PilotAstronomy

PilotAstronomy

Explorer 1

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:51 AM

I think it had something to do w RAM. I'll take a look when I get home.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics